• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thalis

Shouldn't make any difference, but you may find it easier to use a cable from the output and connect your multimeter to the RCA plug rather than grovel inside the socket. Oh, and as the signal is AC, it doesn't matter whether the pin is + or -, either will give the same reading.

S.

Right............. thanks again :)

Thalis

@sergeauckland

Ah darn... on the MM I would set it to V~ but it only has 600 and 200. So I used 200 and generated 50Hz and 100Hz tones. Right channel is spot on at 2V but the left seems to be slightly off between 2.0 and 2.1V

So I hope I did this right............. thanks again.

Edit: I left the default at 16/44.1 in Foobar and at 0dB

Last edited:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@sergeauckland

Ah darn... on the MM I would set it to V~ but it only has 600 and 200. So I used 200 and generated 50Hz and 100Hz tones. Right channel is spot on at 2V but the left seems to be slightly off between 2.0 and 2.1V

So I hope I did this right............. thanks again.

Edit: I left the default at 16/44.1 in Foobar and at 0dB
The difference between 2 and 2.1 is 5% so well under 1dB, and about as close as you'll get with a MM on the 200v range which at best will be to 1% plus/minus 1 digit. If you can borrow a meter with a 3-5v AC range you'll get closer.
S

Thalis

The difference between 2 and 2.1 is 5% so well under 1dB, and about as close as you'll get with a MM on the 200v range which at best will be to 1% plus/minus 1 digit. If you can borrow a meter with a 3-5v AC range you'll get closer.
S

Yep... a better MM is on the cards........ :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Multimeters that have 200V AC as the lowest setting usually give incorrect values when measuring AC voltages near 1V.
So while you think you measure 2V (because the display says so) in reality the actual voltage may be closer to 2.3V or so.
Only a multimeter with 200mV as lowest ACV setting will give correct low AC voltage settings.

You can check this when your new multimeter has arrived.

Thalis

Multimeters that have 200V AC as the lowest setting usually give incorrect values when measuring AC voltages near 1V.
So while you think you measure 2V (because the display says so) in reality the actual voltage may be closer to 2.3V or so.
Only a multimeter with 200mV as lowest ACV setting will give correct low AC voltage settings.

You can check this when your new multimeter has arrived.

This one looks ok with a minimum of 20mV~

https://www.kew-ltd.co.jp/en/download/pdf/manual/english/1009_IM_92-1548E_E_L.pdf

solderdude

Grand Contributor
yes, it has a minimal range of 400mVAC so should be fine.
Alas not very usable for audio as it is specified to just 400Hz so suitable for mains frequencies.

Thalis

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It can measure low AC voltages but there is no mentioning of the frequency range in the AC voltage range.
The mentioned frequencies is for the frequency counter/meter only and says nothing about the ACV frequency range.
I expect it also not to exceed 400Hz much.

You could consider a mini DSO

Last edited:

Thalis

It can measure low AC voltages but there is no mentioning of the frequency range in the AC voltage range.
The mentioned frequencies is for the frequency counter/meter only and says nothing about the ACV frequency range.
I expect it also not to exceed 400Hz much.

ok I guess I'll just go for one for its low ACV measurements... thanks. Have a feeling its going to cost a lot if I keep looking.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Notice I added the mini DSO option.
This can be very handy and it will also give RMS and top voltage measurements over a very wide range but no resistance, diode, capacitor and current measurements.
Maybe just get both... or this one

Top Bottom