• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to Support Audio Science Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir: I contributed, but did not get updated to basic contributor or whatever it is.
Great Site and I read it every day - you really work hard and we appreciate it.
Thank you very much for the kind donation. The designation you get is already on for you: it is the Forum Donor green badge below your title. :)

CJ Miller

Forum Donor
Definitely waiting on this Green badge. Donation sent on the 26th of Feb 2020. ;)

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know how you do it and have a life. I really don't.

How about subs? Where member's log in and review content. How many would be willing to go along with that? To compare, the Boston Audio Society charges $40 a year for membership. For that you get a .pdf 'magazine' emailed to you. If you live in Boston I guess you can attend meetings. But I don't imagine that sort of format would work for something like ASR.

Advertisements? From manufacturers or dealers? That always brings up conflict of interest. However people who disagree with what you write will always suspect that sort of thing. Gordon Holt started out non-commerical when he moved away from High Fidelity. Those were the days of print magazines, but now folks argue that Stereophile has morphed into what Gordon was trying to get away from. I don't see ads on their Website, but they are part of a larger organization that is obviously paying the bills.

How about non-audio related ads? It's that season again, and I hear Bloomberg is throwing money around like crazy in order to get his face in the news. Maybe you could get some of that largesse. Work out an angle: "Don't Let your Wallet Feel the Burn--Read ASR"; or "Make Audio Great Again with ASR"; "Ride the No Malarkey ASR Bus"... :facepalm:

I guess selling cookies is out of the question?

cookie.jpg

RudTuc

Forum Donor
Hi Amir,
I sent donation thru Paypal on March 8 but it looks like it was not recognised by the system.
UPDATE: It was recognised but system doesn't show it anywhere unless I post to forum which I just did ;-)

Thanks for all the good work - your reviews, measurements and insights into the audio world helps me understand what I should focus on when putting together a good sounding and cost effective audio system.
I guess I was lucky when buying my gear to certain extent before joining this forum as my only more expensive item (than comparable DACs with similar performance) is Chord Qutest that at least does what it should based on your review.
Any chance you can get your hands on Arcam amplifier (one of the recent ones like A19/A29/A39, new ones like SA10/SA20/SA30 or one of their current or recent power amps)? Their current PA240 looks like nice option for higher power amp in Class A/B category.

I own Arcam A29 amp but sending it for review from Europe is not very cost effective given the weight and customs involved - nevertheless I can cover one way shipping to you if you would be interested and with the help of this forum you can cover the shipping back to me. Let me know...

Thanks again for your great contribution to this hobby!
Rudolf.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I finally donated. You and the many technical experts have saved me countless dollars and have helped me understand that good engineering always beats marketing hype. Thank You!
Much appreciated. :) I updated your title.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I sent you a long deserved donation, Amir. Thank you again so much for your continued work and providing it free of charge for everyone.
You were a man of your word which I also appreciated. :)

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just donated again (one year since my previous donation).
This forum is absolutely amazing.
You get information you just can't get anywhere else. At least information spelled out in a no-nonsense way. Atkinson does a good job at measuring, but then you have to break it down in order to realize exactly what he's showing you as he can't (or won't) be explicit. David Rich occasionally measures a phono cart for another on-line 'magazine', or maybe he'll write an article about refurbing an open reel deck, but those insights have pretty limited to next to no appeal. I guess they won't let him tear down amplifiers like he used to do for the Audio Critic. There's Archimago's site; he gets an A+, but he doesn't have the ouput of ASR. This place is the Ghostbusters of audio. Who else are you gonna to call?

JamesYeomans

Forum Donor
@amirm Thanks so much for all the work you put in at ASR. It is very much appreciated!
I've been following for about a year now and have finally decided to create an account and donate, after buying the Soncoz SGD1 and receiving such excellent customer service from Ben. I would not have heard of his excellent work had it not been for this site.
BTW I donated earlier via PayPal, but no sign of the "Forum Donor" badge yet: Transaction ID: 06729919X9612392S
Keep up the fantastic work!
From another ex-Microsoftie :)

da Choge

Forum Donor
Amir, et al:

Just wanted to say "Thanks" very much for your forum and the excellent work you do. Don't really care if I have any "designation" put under my name when I post, but I did donate under the "Account Upgrades" section and wanted you to know that I am a supporter both in spirit and as per a little donation. Sent in a $50.00 donation by credit card (AMEX) in the first part of May under the "ASR Senior Supporter" designation. As per my May AMEX statement entry:
AMEX ASR Donation.jpg

As I said, I don't really care about any notation/designation under my username when I post, but if that has to happen, I would prefer to have just the "Forum Donor" annotation rather than the "ASR Senior Supporter" one -- I am already recognized as a "Senior" far too often in other instances for my likes ;):D. In fact, my only reasons for making this specific post at all are 1) to make sure the forum received my donation, and, 2) to serve as a reminder for myself to donate again after a year has passed (May 2021), if not sooner.

Anywhose, thanks again for all the fantastic work you and other forum contributors do !!! This kind of objectively quantifiable analysis of and meaningful commentaries on audio product performance is something that is far too often lacking in our hobby. And, as you have expressed, hopefully it can inspire audio product manufacturers to improve upon their products and their standards, thus benefiting everyone.

- john

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it possible to add an EU payment processor too? For example https://liberapay.com/about/faq which works pretty much same as Patreon.

This was my first time on Patreon and I was surprised to find that my bank charged an extra €1.5 as "foreign payment tax". Fixed now but an EU-based processor should make things easier for all EU donors.

DavidH

Forum Donor
I have purchased products as a direct result of your excellent work, knowledge & recommendations. I'm happy to pay back. Thank you very much.

Baff

Forum Donor
Did the "account upgrade", but seems it didn't automatically add the title.

Thanks!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Did the "account upgrade", but seems it didn't automatically add the title.

Thanks!
Much appreciated. The process is not automatic anymore and I did not see your kind donation while at dinner. It is fixed now.

Top Bottom