• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to Support Audio Science Review

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
ASR is relies on goodwill of the visitors and members of the site to cover its expenses and enable testing of more products. There are no sponsors and no ads on the site as you may have noticed.

If you are interested in supporting us using donations, you can use one of the following four methods:

1. Patreon. This is an external service that accepts monthly donations. You can change/stop payments anytime you want. Just go to this page: https://www.patreon.com/audiosciencereview

Patreon takes its cut from donations you make. It is a good option if you want to spread your donations over time, or if you are not a member of ASR.

There is no linkage between Patreon and the forum software. So if you wish to be recognized as a Patreon donor, please contact me and I will do so. Alternatively you may want to wait a bit to see if I catch and update it.

2. ASR members can upgrade their membership to support us using one-time payment. This is the process:

To donate, click on your alias on top right of the forum. In the drop down select "Account Upgrades."

index.php

Once you click that, you are presented with three one-time options. I have set them to $25, $50 and $100 per year. There is no auto-renewal. It just expires after a year and you can then choose to donate again or not.

When you click on the option you like, you are taken to PayPal. You can use your PayPal account if you have one. If you don't, just tell it so and you can enter any credit card you like.

3. Direct donation using PayPal. If you want to donate your own amount, please use this link: https://paypal.me/AudioScienceReview?locale.x=en_US

EDIT: I do not use the Amazon Affiliate program (even though I am qualified to do so). So please use the above methods to support us.
4. Amazon affiliate. I am set up as an Amazon associate meaning that if you go to Amazon using a special link and buy things there, some percentage of the purchase amount gets sent to me as commission. The amount of commission ranges from zero to 8% I think. Sadly the highest amount is for fake jewelry and such.

-----
This is a good time to thank the many of you who have donated. It puts a huge smile on my face every time I see a notification that a donation has been made. Not as much for the money which is appreciated, but the fact that there is no better acknowledgement of the value of this site than someone spending hard cash on it.

Last edited:

Schackmannen

Forum Donor
Paypal is supposed to notify the forum software that you have made a donation so that your title gets upgraded here. Unfortunately it doesn't always work. So if after you donated you don't see a "Patreon donor" under your avatar, let me know and I will fix it.
I bought the $25 upgrade yesterday (24 hrs ago) and it doesn't show anything under my avatar yet (at least for me), but maybe it takes a little while? Regardless of that it was definitely a worthwhile donation considering all the time, effort and money you put into this site :D

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I bought the $25 upgrade yesterday (24 hrs ago) and it doesn't show anything under my avatar yet (at least for me), but maybe it takes a little while? Regardless of that it was definitely a worthwhile donation considering all the time, effort and money you put into this site :D
Sorry about that. It should be immediate. I fixed it. Thanks a bunch for kind words and donation. Much appreciated.

THW

Forum Donor
ASR’s work is worth the donation, if I wasn’t a poor student I would’ve increased the monthly Patreon donation amount :(

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Since ASR is a non-profit are donations tax-deductible? What’s the official name of the business entity?
Currently it is an LLC (Audio Science Review LLC, registered in Washington State). It is not setup as a non-profit with respect to IRS so unfortunately your donations are not tax deductible. Worse yet, I have to pay taxes on them.

Edit: I am highlighting this as there still seems to be some confusion about this.

Last edited:

alont

Forum Donor
Sorry about that. It should be immediate. I fixed it. Thanks a bunch for kind words and donation. Much appreciated.

Hey Amir, same deal with me - I donated via the "Account Upgrades" page.

Thank you for all of the time and effort you've invested into ASR!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hey Amir, same deal with me - I donated via the "Account Upgrades" page.

Thank you for all of the time and effort you've invested into ASR!
Thank you so much. Looks like notifications from paypal are completely broken so I have to do the account upgrades myself. I did that for you already. For others, if you wait a day or two and I don't catch the upgrade, please contact me and I will fix it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Someone has complained to me that my mention of the site being "non-profit" implied a legal status and demanded to see legal organization of the company as such. This, despite the fact that I clearly stipulated the we are NOT non-profit as far as taxation and legal status of the entity up above.

So two things:
1. I took out the words "non-profit." from the original post.

2. You should assume any and all things can happen to money you donate including lavish vacations, expensive cars, exquisite sushi, etc. You should donate because you value what you see on the site, not for any "cause" that your money would be put toward. If you are uncomfortable with this stipulation, please don't donate. These kinds of arrangements are not for you.

And oh, thanks to all of you who have donated. It puts a big smile on my face every time I see a notification to that regard.

Jess

Hi everybody. Fantastic job, Amir. A few weeks ago I made a donation vía PayPal, but I don't see it in my avatar yet. Thank you and go on.

Nikke

@amirm Is it possible for us mere mortals to customize the "Patron donor" text to something more, uhm, whashama call it, worthy? ;) Not like I am envious of your gunslinger or anything..

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm Is it possible for us mere mortals to customize the "Patron donor" text to something more, uhm, whashama call it, worthy? ;) Not like I am envious of your gunslinger or anything..
If you mean to have people pick their own text, then no, the forum software doesn't make that possible. If you mean to change it for everyone, I am open to suggestions. Originally I only had patreon support and hence that tag. Today, more people donate directly to the forum so that title is not very accurate anyway.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Umm, what do you call a bunch of generally less wealthy guys paying for a fairly well off guys retirement fantasy...

Amir's/ASR 'sugar daddies'
ASR 'facilitators'

I don't know , did Bernie Madoff have a name for his investors?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't know , did Bernie Madoff have a name for his investors?
No and hence his downfall. That, and his lack of sense of humor which I have in abundance!!! :D

Top Bottom