• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to Stream wireless to my existing DAC

StinkyPete

Hello

Tried googleing this first first but came up empty handed.
I have a Sabaj D5 in my stereo setup and it was connected to a computer via USB, but I want to remove the computer but still be able to feed a digital signal to the DAC.
Wireless would be ideal.
I saw a Sonos box that had a coax digital out bit it was quit expensive.

Does anybody have a good solution to this?

Veri

Master Contributor
There was an SMSL B2 to do this but it is discontinued.. I'd assume similar devices exist :)

Aldoszx

Wireless means Bluetooth, i suppose.
Maybe you can buy a new DAC with bluetooth input, like D50s for example.
Or, you can use Raspberry Pi with piCorePlayer, which accept Bluetooth, and connect it to your DAC.
Even a RPi Zero W could do the job.

Reactions: EdW

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Since the Sabaj works fine with USB, you could use a $29 LG Rebel phone as a DAP:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QHQ79XH/

Throw away the Net10 SIM and other stuff. Works fine on 2.4g WiFi without it. Android 8. Simply add your music streaming apps from Google play.

You will need a 3 wire OTG cable:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B6CRW6D/

The LG Rebel is a really nice device for $29. Even has easily replaced battery.

PS- the fact the LG Rebel is CDMA and not GSM is no issue. You are only using it's wifi capability

Last edited:

EdW

Wireless means Bluetooth, i suppose.
Maybe you can buy a new DAC with bluetooth input, like D50s for example.
Or, you can use Raspberry Pi with piCorePlayer, which accept Bluetooth, and connect it to your DAC.
Even a RPi Zero W could do the job.
The Sabaj D5 is a very good DAC. The Raspberry PI route sounds good. If you want to use the USB I/P to the DAC probably best to consider the PI4 since this would give you the option of Ethernet as well without the Ethernet/usb bottleneck of the RPI3. The only downside of the PI4 is that it needs a heatsink (the FLIRC case works well) or a fan. You can run piCorePlayer or Moode or Volumio on the PI.

Aldoszx

Aldoszx

The Sabaj D5 is a very good DAC. The Raspberry PI route sounds good. If you want to use the USB I/P to the DAC probably best to consider the PI4 since this would give you the option of Ethernet as well without the Ethernet/usb bottleneck of the RPI3. The only downside of the PI4 is that it needs a heatsink (the FLIRC case works well) or a fan. You can run piCorePlayer or Moode or Volumio on the PI.
Yes, RPI4 is the best solution. I don't know if Moode or Volumio supports Bluetooth in.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Sabaj has HDMI input. Will connecting a chrome cast work?
Sabaj does not have HDMI input. The I2S is a different standard and will not work natively with HDMI.

EdW

Yes, RPI4 is the best solution. I don't know if Moode or Volumio supports Bluetooth in.
Just as I posted I recalled that Volumio put the BT on their subscription service. So maybe one to avoid If still the case. RPI4 (Or 3) can also support bruteFIR which gives the possibility of room EQ if you’re particularly ambitious . . .

Daverz

Major Contributor

Why do you say it needs a flirc-type heatsink? If it's just streaming, it's unlikely to thermally throttle the CPU. I have mine in the standard plastic case, and while it runs hot at 64C or so, that's well below where thermal throttling would occur.

EdW

Why do you say it needs a flirc-type heatsink? If it's just streaming, it's unlikely to thermally throttle the CPU. I have mine in the standard plastic case, and while it runs hot at 64C or so, that's well below where thermal throttling would occur.
64 deg would depend on ambient around the case. If the RPI4 is stuffed into the back of a rack it could be at a high ambient. With 44 years as an integrated circuit designer I always like to look after my chips :).

Daverz

Major Contributor
64 deg would depend on ambient around the case. If the RPI4 is stuffed into the back of a rack it could be at a high ambient. With 44 years as an integrated circuit designer I always like to look after my chips :).

Ambient should be under 27C in summer. Well, the Flirc case is not that expensive as audio things go...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Aldoszx

Agree ! RPi4 can run very hot easyly ! I am trying to keep mines under 40 degrees. For that, i am using custom pasive cooling with large heatsink.
Something like this

Top Bottom