• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to stream/play internet music streams that are not available in Winamp

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I though I would share a "tech-tip" - a solution for an internet music problem that has been bugging me for some time. (I may have overlooked a similar solution at other internet radio/music streaming websites in the past.)

In recent years, most internet music stream providers have started using player software and scripts on their websites that "hide" the actual URL of the stream. I have been using Winamp/Streamripper as my Windows music player and ripper for years, and occasionally stream-rip to download mp3's for time-shifting including listening to the music in my car. Unfortunately, I sometimes encounter streams on internet radio apps that I cannot also play in Winamp.

Today I found a website that not only plays the obscure eclectic music station I had been listening to via Radio.net on my Android tablet [LINK], but also provides a copy-and-paste m3u file via its drop-down menu to use with other players. I pasted the m3u into Winamp, and it worked perfectly for the 128kbps stream. Plus, the Streamripper add-on for Winamp also works perfectly, and downloads the songs as separate MP3's.

It appears that Streamitter is "relaying" the stream to Winamp, but it gives me the control I like over which app to listen with.

Obviously, I have verified that everything works, but I am curious as to whether my non-expert guess about the method used by Streamitter is correct. Below is the m3u file that Streamitter provided for the example station stream:

Top Bottom