• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to Stream Amazon HD Music to My DAC?

Bobo77

OK...you guys are smart, I am not! LOL! I have a modern AVR 5.1 set-up that works damn well, "for me". I can do my 4K movie thing and stream my Amazon Ultra HD in stereo 2.1 mode in full rez there using HEOS on my Marantz. It works. (Just don't get me started on the primitive HEOS App interface..LOL! ). Because I am SINGLE I have just unboxed and hooked up my cheap Chinese tube amp ($1000) to a old set of Goldenear Aon 3's which I have plopped right on top of my MA Silver 100’s in my living room. Currently, I am feeding the tube amp with a Woo Audio CD Transport to an Anedio D2 DAC. SOOOOOO much fun comparing the sounds of the two systems with the "same" music. Stunningly different. FUN...FUN....FUN!!!
So...my question is...How can I directly feed (via WiFi?) my Amazon stream at full resolution to my DAC from my iPad? Is there an inexpensive way to implement that, seeing as I already have a DAC, I just need the data feed with no conversion. When I try to research this topic it gets complicated and technically above my pay grade. I think using the spare co-ax input on my DAC is the way to go, as the optical input, I believe will bottleneck some of the higher resolution files. I am obviously looking for the best signal that I can get. Thanks to anyone with suggestions!

tgray

I would think there is some Amazon Fire device that would work, but I do not know the details of the line. Sonos can stream CD quality Amazon HD, so the Port should work, though it is not cheap.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
You will need this Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter or this Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter and a compatible usb cord long enough to reach the DAC from the IPad. Have never figured out how to stream hd directly to a DAC. Or you need a new DAC/streamer that has a lan connection port. Then you can stream wifi hd. I use a Bluesound node 2i. But there are other selections available at varying prices with more or less desired attributes.

OP
Bobo77

Bobo77

I would think there is some Amazon Fire device that would work, but I do not know the details of the line. Sonos can stream CD quality Amazon HD, so the Port should work, though it is not cheap.
Well...I have a Amazon FireStick 4K (firmware freshly updated this week) on my Marantz SR6015...but THAT device bottlenecks Amazons own music app. I get nothing at 24Bit ( yes I clicked "Ultra HD" in the Music App.). That is why I am using HEOS to go into Amazon "backdoor". I get FULL REZ files, but cannot use the tons-better Amazon interface.
Thanks for the help, though!

OP
Bobo77

Bobo77

You will need this Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter or this Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter and a compatible usb cord long enough to reach the DAC from the IPad. Have never figured out how to stream hd directly to a DAC. Or you need a new DAC/streamer that has a lan connection port. Then you can stream wifi hd. I use a Bluesound node 2i. But there are other selections available at varying prices with more or less desired attributes.
Yeah...I have an iPad Pro 2nd Gen...so...it has a USB 2 out...but what?...that won't send/ stream the Ultra HD files in full-Rez? (I am not real good at understanding all of these options)
I looked at the Bluesound Node 2i (and shuddered at its price! LOL!)....but that has a DAC in it, which is one of the reasons why it costs so much, I think. I just want to send the raw digital info to "my" DAC inexpensively. I already have a great DAC. Does the Node have "bypass"?
See...this stuff gets complicated. THANKS for your suggestions!

OP
Bobo77

Bobo77

OK...I will study some of this info. I know NOTHING about Chromecast! THANKS for trying to help out. Ideally I would like to use WIFI and not a cord....

AdamG

Forum Donor
Yeah...I have an iPad Pro 2nd Gen...so...it has a USB 2 out...but what?...that won't send/ stream the Ultra HD files in full-Rez? (I am not real good at understanding all of these options)
I looked at the Bluesound Node 2i (and shuddered at its price! LOL!)....but that has a DAC in it, which is one of the reasons why it costs so much, I think. I just want to send the raw digital info to "my" DAC inexpensively. I already have a great DAC. Does the Node have "bypass"?
See...this stuff gets complicated. THANKS for your suggestions!
Yes it has coax and optical digital out that bypasses the internal DAC. Yes the usb will stream hd to the DAC if it has a usb input.

tgray

Well...I have a Amazon FireStick 4K (firmware freshly updated this week) on my Marantz SR6015...but THAT device bottlenecks Amazons own music app. I get nothing at 24Bit ( yes I clicked "Ultra HD" in the Music App.). That is why I am using HEOS to go into Amazon "backdoor". I get FULL REZ files, but cannot use the tons-better Amazon interface.
Thanks for the help, though!

I was afraid as much.

OP
Bobo77

Bobo77

Yes it has coax and optical digital out that bypasses the internal DAC. Yes the usb will stream hd to the DAC if it has a usb input.
THANKS! So far, that may be my best bet...but seems like a high price to pay for the privilege. It would be pretty easy, seamless hook-up for my situation, though. I think that the optical would bottleneck the best files, but the CoAx should not.

AdamG

Forum Donor
THANKS! So far, that may be my best bet...but seems like a high price to pay for the privilege. It would be pretty easy, seamless hook-up for my situation, though.
Or go the wired usb route. The wired usb route will give you use of Amazon’s User interface. The Node has its own interface unfortunately. It’s not bad, but not great either.

D

Deleted member 65

OK...I will study some of this info. I know NOTHING about Chromecast! THANKS for trying to help out. Ideally I would like to use WIFI and not a cord....

Chromecast communicates via WiFi, only needs the optical cable between Chromecast & DAC

D

Deleted member 65

Yeah...I remember reading that Chromecast is a bottleneck on the hi-rez...but I KNOW that an optical cable is a bottleneck as well...right?

TOSLink is restricted to 96kHz, so max 24 bit / 96 kHz thru CCA. So CCA manages all but 192kHz.

What audio quality does Amazon Music HD support?
Amazon Music HD offers lossless audio in two quality ranges: HD and Ultra HD.
HD tracks are 16-bit audio, with a minimum sample rate of 44.1 kHz (16/44.1 is also referred to as CD-quality), and an average bitrate of 850 kbps. Ultra HD tracks have a bit depth of 24 bits, with sample rates ranging from 44.1 kHz up to 192 kHz, and an average bitrate of 3730 kbps.”

Edit: Buy this & cable, it’ll set you back ~50USD
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Google-Chr...053957&hash=item422ecb9979:g:HXAAAOSwXFJgchrW

Last edited by a moderator:

nikky

Chromecast only supports the Standard quality of Amazon Music. Maybe Fire TV can help you. I think the best way is to download all the HD music to a local folder with Tunelf Amatune Music Converter. Once converted, then you're able to listen to Amazon HD music on any device at ease.

Bamyasi

Looks like Amazon developers finally nailed gapless streaming on the FireStick. Last AMHD app update now plays album tracks without interruptions on my FireStick 4K. It only took them one and a half year, LOL. App version is 3.3.794.0.

Needless to say, it also plays at up to full 24bit/192kHz resolution here. Just get rid of your AVR and use HDMI extractor instead (one of the recommended models).

Top Bottom