• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

how to shop for earbuds

invaderzim

How do you shop for in-ear headphones? There are what seems to be an endless list of ones available for under $100. They aren't really like regular headphones where I can (or want to) try on a bunch of demo ones; especially in this price range. So what, if anything, is there to look for when shopping?

Tircuit

Forum Donor
How do you shop for in-ear headphones? There are what seems to be an endless list of ones available for under $100. They aren't really like regular headphones where I can (or want to) try on a bunch of demo ones; especially in this price range. So what, if anything, is there to look for when shopping?

Head-fi and then Wirecutter for sound then Amazon reviews for issues. Wirecutter doesn't really review the higher-end stuff.

My headphones I bought based on Wirecutter's recs turned out to be my faves: HE-400i over ear and Final E4000 earbuds.

Wirecutter best earbuds

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Just to clarify, are you talking about 'earbuds' or "in-ear-monitors" ?

For IEMS, there's a few extensive threads over at head-fi that talk about stuff in the sub-US$100 range. There's one that talks about the obscure, Asian origin brands.

Likewise for the earbuds.

For IEMs, I cannot agree on the Marshall's on Wirecutter's list. They are really at the back of the heap in my experience.

In short the current "hype train" for not-so-mainstream IEMs over at Head-fi seems to be centered around a few in order of price (highest to lowest):

BGVP DM6, Kanas Pro, BGVP DMG, CCA C16, BQEYZ BQ3, KZ AS10, KZ ZS7, CCA C10, KZ ZSN. ( US$199 -> US$16 )

As for earbuds, the only "serious" one I own is the ToneKing TO600.

Top Bottom