• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to set up high pass filter via pc

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Huh it's hard for me even to swallow such price and I can't actually recommend it for that reason.

Edit: and they lower only 50$ if you don't want mic (UMIK-1).

OP
D

Diseasex

Huh it's hard for me even to swallow such price and I can't actually recommend it for that reason.

Edit: and they lower only 50$ if you don't want mic (UMIK-1).
Yes it’s even worse in Europe - 1600£

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Yes it’s even worse in Europe - 1600£
That even gets it to mid range AVR territory regarding price at least. I won't even comment about that anymore.
Edit: actually Flex version now sounds like a bargain and without Dirac Live (you always can reconsider and wait for bass menagement implementation update) as you will be just fine with REW and hand PEQ if you ask me (you might cook convolution [kernel] in the end if you really wish and such things make you happy).

Last edited:
OP
D

Diseasex

sounds like a
That even gets it to mid range AVR territory regarding price at least. I won't even comment about that anymore.
Edit: actually Flex version now sounds like a bargain and without Dirac Live (you always can reconsider and wait for bass menagement implementation update) as you will be just fine with REW and hand PEQ if you ask me (you might cook convolution [kernel] in the end if you really wish and such things make you happy).
yeah but any streamer is 500-600£ and I think I will want that. I'm not necessarily budget constrained per se, but at this stage it's rather "nice to have"
but yeah it's actually 1700£ just asked. RIdiculous

Last edited:
OP
D

Diseasex

Ok After days of researching and equipped with new knowledge gathered here I can confidently say there's NO way to set up programmatic crossover directing sound to 2 separate outputs (like analog and digital) on PC. Even if you could you would have an issue with synchronising 2 separate DACS as they have different latency.
You can do it with miniDSP Flex though by outputting 2 analogs . miniDSP SHD can output 2 digital signals to 2 separate DACS but that leaves you with synchronisation headache. MiniDSP SHD Studio have only 2 digital outputs , and no analogs so by design you are forced to synchronise DACs. Bizzarre
Mainboard DAC and passing signal through SVS is giving me bad sound (hard to describe but I'm not as awed whilst listening to it vs USB)

I have strength to install xonar now and will see if mainboard is the issue or SVS (after spending about 20hrs messing with current setup)

Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
The external (discontinued but still available) xonar U7 II and miniDSP 2x4HD I’ve used for years just work fine on a PC. Not sure what exactly you’re doing… But, why not just disable the DSP settings on the SVS or put it on its most basic, least equalized settings and do all the EQ work on the PC (if using a MCH DAC with JRiver) or directly via external DAC DSP device (if using something like miniDSP).

OP
D

Diseasex

The external (discontinued but still available) xonar U7 II and miniDSP 2x4HD I’ve used for years just work fine on a PC. Not sure what exactly you’re doing… But, why not just disable the DSP settings on the SVS or put it on its most basic, least equalized settings and do all the EQ work on the PC (if using a MCH DAC with JRiver) or directly via external DAC DSP device (if using something like miniDSP).
So the idea I had in my head was that “I have very good dac in Hegel and don’t want to replace it with mainboards DAC”. The highest sound resolution is also via USB so wanted to keep that .

Having analog output at source means (in my head) that I need dedicated and good DAC rather than stock on.

That means I have to buy dac and a good one

I've done just that and here are the results (2.1 via 4 channels from mainboard jack-RCA)
1675709358168.png

Legend : orange after EQ, green before EQ

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
So the idea I had in my head was that “I have very good dac in Hegel and don’t want to replace it with mainboards DAC”. The highest sound resolution is also via USB so wanted to keep that .

Having analog output at source means (in my head) that I need dedicated and good DAC rather than stock on.

That means I have to buy dac and a good one

I've done just that and here are the results (2.1 via 4 channels from mainboard jack-RCA)
View attachment 262896

Legend : orange after EQ, green before EQ

I would prefer to see raw FR measurements of each individual driver vs their aligned sum (main + sub) together with the phase curves.

Anyway, IMO, there's really nothing to lose by adding a miniDSP flex in your already existing setup. Loss of quality is very likely nothing more than an unfounded fear when the benefit is potentially better sub+mains integration.

OP
D

Diseasex

yes I'm well aware I need flex or SHD - leaning towards the latter as I also want streamer and hunting for bargain atm.

However based on spec I'm reading flex is better DAC

Last edited:
OP
D

Diseasex

Do I need balances or unbalanced version ? I’m confused what’s the difference

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Do I need balances or unbalanced version ? I’m confused what’s the difference

Just look at the inputs of the devices you want to plug into. If the SVS has balanced inputs (might have both), you can use balanced. The Hegel seems to have both so either way will work. Balanced cables may be beneficial for those running longer runs of cable which is particularly not necessary for many home applications. I currently use mostly unbalanced cabling... any kind of noise and hum issues I've been able to solve by avoiding ground loop issues and using other filtering devices when necessary e.g. Hum x and Topping HS01

OP
D

Diseasex

Do you guys know some "cheap" streamer? Maybe I could mix it with miniDSP 2x4 (200£) and save big bucks rather than buying miniDSP SHD (1400£)
I struggle to see whats the difference between flex and 2x4

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Do you guys know some "cheap" streamer? Maybe I could mix it with miniDSP 2x4 (200£) and save big bucks rather than buying miniDSP SHD (1400£)
I struggle to see whats the difference between flex and 2x4
WiiM Mini Toslink out to Flex.
Difrence between Flex and 2x4 is in performance, BT...

OP
D

Diseasex

WiiM Mini Toslink out to Flex.
Difrence between Flex and 2x4 is in performance, BT...
apologies , performance of what? They both have 400mhz processor AFAIK

Looks to me the only difference is the screen

Last edited:
OP
D

Diseasex

Thanks, that wiim is like 70 quid , I’d save a grand if I went with wiim mini+ 2x4 combo rather than SHD
Would do exactly the same

Edit: ok reading flex has better DAC
So it’s 780£ for flex + wiim mini vs 1400£ for SHD
Will pull the trigger in the evening I think

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Thanks, that wiim is like 70 quid , I’d save a grand if I went with wiim mini+ 2x4 combo rather than SHD
Would do exactly the same

Edit: ok reading flex has better DAC
So it’s 780£ for flex + wiim mini vs 1400£ for SHD
Will pull the trigger in the evening I think
You can get away with base unbalanced Flex that's 475$/€, you already have mic and WiiM is cheap enough that you don't really care much about it and works transparent as pass trough Toslink. You don't really need Dirac Live and even if you think you do wait for the update with bass menagement and see how that plays out. Who knows maybe you will be able to catch license for it on discount later on.

Catalo

Ok After days of researching and equipped with new knowledge gathered here I can confidently say there's NO way to set up programmatic crossover directing sound to 2 separate outputs (like analog and digital) on PC. Even if you could you would have an issue with synchronising 2 separate DACS as they have different latency.
You can do it with miniDSP Flex though by outputting 2 analogs . miniDSP SHD can output 2 digital signals to 2 separate DACS but that leaves you with synchronisation headache. MiniDSP SHD Studio have only 2 digital outputs , and no analogs so by design you are forced to synchronise DACs. Bizzarre
Mainboard DAC and passing signal through SVS is giving me bad sound (hard to describe but I'm not as awed whilst listening to it vs USB)

I have strength to install xonar now and will see if mainboard is the issue or SVS (after spending about 20hrs messing with current setup)
If you're still interested in experimenting with your built-in soundcard, here's a Reddit guide I've followed successfully with Equalizer APO and onboard soundcards (or interfaces like the RME UCX II that I have currently.) If you set Windows sound to 5.1 mode, it activates all 6 output channels on the soundcard, and you use Equalizer APO to downmix all channels to "stereo" and can set crossovers/PEQ/delays per channel. Once set up, you can send a high-passed output via the LR jack to your Hegel inputs and a low-passed output via the C/Sub or RL/RR jack to your SVS.

Last edited:
OP
D

Diseasex

If you're still interested in experimenting with your built-in soundcard, here's a Reddit guide I've followed successfully with Equalizer APO and onboard soundcards (or interfaces like the RME UCX II that I have currently.) If you set Windows sound to 5.1 mode, it activates all 6 output channels on the soundcard, and you use Equalizer APO to downmix all channels to "stereo" and can set crossovers/PEQ/delays per channel. Once set up, you can send a high-passed output via the LR jack to your Hegel inputs and a low-passed output via the C/Sub or RL/RR jack to your SVS.
I've done that and it's pretty basic. As said previously the trick is to send sound to different outputs - analog and digital together and I don't think it's possible on PC

OP
D

Diseasex

1675797778270.png

thanks everyone , lets see how much it takes to ship to europe

Top Bottom