• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to set up high pass filter via pc

OP
D

Diseasex

You don't need DAC which can get that high and as you intend to continue to use PC you don't really need one. Plenty of great performing ones see the ASR review index. Once when you decide to get rid of PC (in the reproduction chain) it's worth checking MiniDSP lines for lots of reasons. For example more basic one from lineup.
And they go up regarding number of I/O's, streaming integration and Dirac Live (room correction) but I think even basic one with REW is enough for most folks. Of course play with positioning of both speakers and sub as much as possible, would suggest and basic acustics treatment (back wall and corners with difuzer panels) when you can and if space and possibilities allow.
oh great more devices. slowly and slowly getting into separates. I think it's called upgradilitis here? :D

I can 100% hear a difference between USB-> hegel @768khz and optical @192khz so you sure not upping DAC to max is OK? Is there a science behind it or "you won't hear it" ?

SInce I mostly use tidal nowadays , some cheap streamer with ipad interface will would be a good idea

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
oh great more devices. slowly and slowly getting into separates. I think it's called upgradilitis here? :D
Take it slowly and learn, you don't need anything until you learn to use what you already have and even then think twice what you really need and want. MiniDSP whose just example how you can insert DSP filters, crossovers and room correction to/for any input and independently (without much of reliance on PC other than setting it up) to all them the same.

Last edited:
OP
D

Diseasex

Take it slowly and learn, you don't need anything until you learn to use what you already have and even then think twice what you really need and want. MiniDSP whose just example how you can insert DSP filters, crossovers and room correction to for any input and independently (without much of reliance on PC other than setting it up) to all them the same.
Yes that's exactly the device I need

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Yes that's exactly the device I need
Nope learning how to use PEQ and filters along as how to use REW with EQAPO and convoler is what you need now. And it's all for free. Afterwards you can get something such if you still feel a nead for it at all that is.

OP
D

Diseasex

Nope learning how to use PEQ and filters along as how to use REW with EQAPO and convoler is what you need now. And it's all for free. Afterwards you can get something such if you still feel a nead for it at all that is.
I know how to use PEQ and will do that on Monday once second rca will arrive.
What I can’t stand is when something plays worse than it could.

But for now I will focus on optimising what I have

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I know how to use PEQ and will do that on Monday once second rca will arrive.
What I can’t stand is when something plays worse than it could
Well I am out of my listening room and in living room for winter so pretty much in for listening it playing worst than I know it can's for a time being.

OP
D

Diseasex

Well I am out of my listening room and in living room for winter so pretty much in for listening it playing worst than I know it can's for a time being.
which woofer response would you rate the best (ready for PEQ) ?
1675537206340.png

blue : woofer facing wall in corner
green: woofer in corner facing listener
red : woofer next to speaker

edit: that 30-40hz is just terrible with this woofer. I mean that's the frequencies I bought it for. You had one job :|

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Red, PEQ 43 & 78 Hz on sub. That between 40~50 deap is the room so if you ignore that it's good down to 25 Hz. Is that ported or siled version of SVS 1000 Pro? If it's ported one try putting corks in vents (the foam ones that usually come with speakers/subs or pairs of socks).

OP
D

Diseasex

Red, PEQ 43 & 78 Hz on sub. That between 40~50 deap is the room so if you ignore that it's good down to 25 Hz. Is that ported or siled version of SVS 1000 Pro? If it's ported one try putting corks in vents (the foam ones that usually come with speakers/subs or pairs of socks).
it's sealed
OK I'll fire PEQ and see where it gets me

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
You need to use BW instead of Q for that.
Try like this: Peq1: 54 Hz, - 6, BW 0.136 and PEQ2: 78 Hz, - 5, BW 0.136.
Edit: BW = 0.136 is close to Q=11 so try with Q 11 (if even that is supported over 5).

Last edited:
OP
D

Diseasex

1675539798986.png

blue after PQ
orange no PQ
I’ve let REW programmatically generate it

OP
D

Diseasex

You need to use BW instead of Q for that.
Try like this: Peq1: 54 Hz, - 6, BW 0.136 and PEQ2: 78 Hz, - 5, BW 0.136.
Edit: BW = 0.136 is close to Q=11 so try with Q 11 (if even that is supposed over 5).
Beer on me Zolalll

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Let's see how REW will resolve it. You didn't exactly put sub back on the position red (woofer next to speaker) as it whose.
Try to PEQ only main offender peaks and hopefully not more than two or three per driver, forget about one's behind let's say 7 KHz entirely.
Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 7.42.26 AM.png

OP
D

Diseasex

Let's see how REW will resolve it. You didn't exactly put sub back on the position red (woofer next to speaker) as it whose.
Try to PEQ only main offender peaks and hopefully not more than two or three per driver, forget about one's behind let's say 7 KHz entirely.
View attachment 262301
Not today, im tired, been doing this for last 12 hours and time for listening ;-)

I do feel it sounds worse than usb though

Edit : just turned USB back and difference in detail massive.

Mainboard DAC won’t cut it with the level of the kit I have. Need that miniDSP flex @768khz to make it work

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
OK buddy, enjoy! That whose only general advice regarding parametric EQ-ing.
I don't hear much difrence between my main board and ES9018K2M DAC over USB nor the old Burr Brown in my Yamaha.

OP
D

Diseasex

So that solves both my problems,
Steaming and crossover ?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
So that solves both my problems,
Steaming and crossover ?
I really don't believe you need top of the line one and another UMIK-1 mic (assuming that's what you are using) nor how balanced and optical true LRX will be very useful to you (but I might be wrong).

OP
D

Diseasex

I really don't believe you need top of the line one and another UMIK-1 mic (assuming that's what you are using) nor how balanced and optical true LRX will be very useful to you (but I might be wrong).
What is LRX?
Well I need some streamer and dac with 2.2
It has both. The Flex is 600$ already so 600$ for streamer and other features might not be bad idea.
Umik is optional. It takes -75$ when you unselect
It in drop-down menu
Know any better ? Thank you

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
What is LRX?
Well I need some streamer and dac with 2.2
It has both. The Flex is 600$ already so 600$ for streamer and other features might not be bad idea.
Umik is optional. It takes -75$ when you unselect
It in drop-down menu
Know any better ? Thank you
Is there some mid ground in MiniDSP offering that has the most with most things you might need/really need for less money?

Top Bottom