• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to set up high pass filter via pc

Diseasex

Hi guys,
I have Hegel h390 that doesn’t support high pass filter.
I just bought subwoofer svs 1000 pro that only has rca input and normal speaker cables input.
What I’m trying to do is use JRiver to set up high pass filter and send signal to subwoofer before it reaches the amp
Is there a way to do this ?
I presume the standard way to plug woofer is to use “line level output” in amp and plug into rca woofer?

Attachments

• 1BABCDFE-4239-4077-A490-DE33EB2603C1.jpeg
    1BABCDFE-4239-4077-A490-DE33EB2603C1.jpeg
    263.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 2F9C66E4-1785-4A3F-9F7B-62FE62CD4572.jpeg
    2F9C66E4-1785-4A3F-9F7B-62FE62CD4572.jpeg
    231.4 KB · Views: 86

raindance

Major Contributor
Doesn't seem very logical to remove the low bass before feeding the subwoofer...

OP
D

Diseasex

Doesn't seem very logical to remove the low bass before feeding the subwoofer...
What I’m thinking, and pardon if it’s completely wrong,
Is to set up pc to send signal 0-50hz to woofer and 50hz+ to speakers. I guess that’s how high pass works ?

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
What I’m thinking, and pardon if it’s completely wrong,
Is to set up pc to send signal 0-50hz to woofer and 50hz+ to speakers. I guess that’s how high pass works ?

Yeah, not wrong, but I would rather leave the signal processing to my software DSP (JRiver) with its FIR phase linearization capabilities — there’s more freedom to experiment… and not fiddle at the back plate amps of the speakers.

Last edited:
OP
D

Diseasex

Yeah, but I would rather leave the signal processing to my software DSP (JRiver) with it’s FIR phase linearization capabilities.
Ok so what are you saying ? How to set it up the best ?

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Ok so what are you saying ? How to set it up the best ?

Basically the short of it is I just do adjustments right in front of me on the PC based on past raw (unprocessed) measurements taken and collected mostly at the main listening position. I create models and predictions of how it’ll all sum up and save the DSP settings as a preset (or backup file) for easy recall. Run a sweep again later to see if it holds up to verification, then I’m done. Obviously, it’s really all more complicated in reality.

Zoomer

in Jriver: tools/options/settings/DSP & output format/parametric equalizer

There you can create and route your subwoofer signal.
The Jriver Wiki has more info on how this works.

I don't know your Hegel, but you'd need a separate analoge out to go from there to the sub.

OP
D

Diseasex

in Jriver: tools/options/settings/DSP & output format/parametric equalizer

There you can create and route your subwoofer signal.
The Jriver Wiki has more info on how this works.

I don't know your Hegel, but you'd need a separate analoge out to go from there to the sub.
Right so I need separate dac and jack to rca cable.
Isn’t there woofer I can send signal via Wi-Fi or usb ? Eh

Tom C

Major Contributor
Some subwoofers have a built in crossover. For those, you connect analog output of DAC to the subwoofer using RCA or XLR, and then analog connection from the sub to the input of the power amp for the main speakers.
In your case, JRiver can be configured to use, say, a 4-channel DAC to do the job. Since you want a 2.1 system, you need at least three channels: Left main, right main, and sub that combines left and right.
A lot of subs have two inputs, one for left channel and one for right. In that instance, a 4-channel DAC could be used, with two of the channels going to the sub (low left and low right).
A lot of PC’s have a built in multichannel sound card. If yours does, you can tell JRiver in its DSP section to convert 2-channel sources to 2.1, and you get lots of options for where you want to select the crossover frequency. You then would wire RCA from the back of the PC to left, right, and subwoofer . There are sound cards that use XLR instead of RCA, but they are usually pro sound cards, not the kind most PC’s have.

OP
D

Diseasex

Some subwoofers have a built in crossover. For those, you connect analog output of DAC to the subwoofer using RCA or XLR, and then analog connection from the sub to the input of the power amp for the main speakers.
In your case, JRiver can be configured to use, say, a 4-channel DAC to do the job. Since you want a 2.1 system, you need at least three channels: Left main, right main, and sub that combines left and right.
A lot of subs have two inputs, one for left channel and one for right. In that instance, a 4-channel DAC could be used, with two of the channels going to the sub (low left and low right).
A lot of PC’s have a built in multichannel sound card. If yours does, you can tell JRiver in its DSP section to convert 2-channel sources to 2.1, and you get lots of options for where you want to select the crossover frequency. You then would wire RCA from the back of the PC to left, right, and subwoofer . There are sound cards that use XLR instead of RCA, but they are usually pro sound cards, not the kind most PC’s have.
Interesting. Sounds like pc is a powerful device.
Yes I was confused why there are 2 inputs to the woofer as you would only send one channel,

I’m planning to buy second woofer but need to work out the setup and pass on the single one

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The problem is that you need 3 channels of output from the JRiver/PC and three channels of D/A to drive L/R/Sub. The simplest solutions (which you may or may not find acceptable is to (1) replace the Hegel with an integrated amp that does bass management or (2) add a miniDSP 2x4HD

OP
D

Diseasex

The problem is that you need 3 channels of output from the JRiver/PC and three channels of D/A to drive L/R/Sub. The simplest solutions (which you may or may not find acceptable is to (1) replace the Hegel with an integrated amp that does bass management or (2) add a miniDSP 2x4HD
Hmm the miniDSP will make sound worse as it’s only 192khz and would need expensive dac at source rather than use the Hegels (which is very good)
Not sure if that high pass is worth it at this stage

Which bass management amps this forum recommends ?

Is high pass that good versus line output from amp?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Hmm the miniDSP will make sound worse as it’s only 192khz and would need expensive dac at source rather than use the Hegels (which is very good)
Not sure if that high pass is worth it at this stage
No DAC needed at the source. Use USB input.
Which bass management amps this forum recommends ?
Dunno much about integrated amps but the Parasound Hint6 seems suitable. I am sure there are others.
Is high pass that good versus line output from amp?
???? Can you restate?

OP
D

Diseasex

No DAC needed at the source. Use USB input.

Dunno much about integrated amps but the Parasound Hint6 seems suitable. I am sure there are others.

???? Can you restate?
instead of plugging sub via rca/speaker cable and have overlap in sound (that is what is happening in standard setup I assume?) is it as worth it to separate frequencies of speakers/subs?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
instead of plugging sub via rca/speaker cable and have overlap in sound (that is what is happening in standard setup I assume?) is it as worth it to separate frequencies of speakers/subs?
IMHO, yes. Unfortunately, the mainstream stereo audiophile market has not embraced or implemented bass management satisfactorily. IMHO, custom bass management filters and DSP are essential.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could also use a custom software filter. Lupisoft makes Ekio which implements High/Low pass with selectable slopes/filters + PEQ for around $150. Works on Windows but not Macs (at least not natively). Also Dephonica works and is freeware. Uses an Asio sink driver for input, does not have WDM drivers. I use Dephonica, send everything to JRiver via its WDM drivers, and then have JRiver send the data stream to Dephonica via the Asio Sink Driver.

OP
D

Diseasex

Ok I’ll try software based approach tomorrow. Waiting for cables as none are supplied with woofer to my surprise! Couldn’t plug the damn thing

Attachments

• 17A7B38E-BDD2-4BB2-81D3-DF87A72B60F8.jpeg
    17A7B38E-BDD2-4BB2-81D3-DF87A72B60F8.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 70

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
You need a PC with multichannel analog unbalanced outs and two 3.5 mm to RCA cables.
Plug the cables to PC (as audio codec use sensing) and configure JRiver to 2.1 out (you can remap channels if need be) fead the Hegel with L, R out and sub with L (white) chinc of other one.
In Tools - Options - DSP & output format under Room Correction put crossover for L & R channel to desired frequency and Routing to sub, most times you don't have to change slope filter defaults but play with it (while there put in Distance values for each one as well [phase correction]). Don't forget to enable the Room Correction settings.
In Tools, Options under volume put it to internal volume and enable Loudness (ISO 226 2003) do a calibration to 84 dB average (after you properly set up the sub) with sound meter.
You are done! Now you have sub crossed with proper filters and equal loudness normalization while doing the output level trough PC. Don't worry much about DAC in PC most of them (if there is no problems) push high 90's SINAD at max output level.
Have a nice time.

Last edited:
OP
D

Diseasex

thanks everyone will try that tomorrow. Love my setup!

OP
D

Diseasex

You need a PC with multichannel analog unbalanced outs and two 3.5 mm to RCA cables.
Plug the cables to PC (as audio codec use sensing) and configure JRiver to 2.1 out (you can remap channels if need be) fead the Hegel with L, R out and sub with L (white) chinc of other one.
In Tools - Options - DSP & output format under Room Correction put crossover for L & R channel to desired frequency and Routing to sub, most times you don't have to change slope filter defaults but play with it (while there put in Distance values for each one as well [phase correction]). Don't forget to enable the Room Correction settings.
In Tools, Options under volume put it to internal volume and enable Loudness (ISO 226 2003) do a calibration to 84 dB average (after you properly set up the sub) with sound meter.
You are done! Now you have sub crossed with proper filters and equal loudness normalization while doing the output level trough PC. Don't worry much about DAC in PC most of them (if there is no problems) push high 90's SINAD at max output level.
Have a nice time.
sorry why do I need 2x jack to rca exactly? I ordered one!

Top Bottom