• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to sell here without getting scammed? Hifiman HE400se, new in sealed label/box for sale

shaney777

How to sell here without getting scammed? Hifiman HE400se, new in sealed label/box for sale, MSRP is $150
Is there any way to protect myself from a scammer who would claim shipment damage or faulty headphones/incorrect model shipped, then return some junk to me, keeping the good headphones & demanding a refund?

Any suggestions on a shipping service to use? I don't know if USPS insurance would cover headphones.

Maybe a headphone consignor is smart?

garbulky

Major Contributor
I don't know the answer. On Emotiva forums there is an emporium and also a rating section for both buyers and sellers. I feel more at-ease buying stuff from fellow forum members that I've already talked with or who is a well known presence in the forums. Perhaps that's a little naive of me... but it's better than a complete stranger.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Any suggestions on a shipping service to use?
I used FedEx on a corporate account for some years and the service was excellent. No issues to report. We where so confidant that upon a recommendation from the FedEx driver we where shipping electronics across Canada in pouches instead of boxes and packing.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the package is insured you aren't liable for shipping damage. Shipping services can also provide delivery confirmation.

If you use a third party like PayPal, they provide dispute resolution for the sale. Cover yourself by taking photos and/or videos of items and packaging, having receipts with date/time dropped off, etc. If using PayPal, use their invoice feature and state clearly the item on the invoice. That way there is proof of them agreeing to buy that specific item, no more, no less. If you use their "send money to friends and family for no fee" service, there is NO coverage or dispute resolution.

Look up the address they want you to ship to and if it's in a different city or state than where they are located, that's a red flag. So is a shady business or warehouse address.

Do not accept Western Union or similar money orders. Do not accept personal checks. Ideally you would use bank transfer or credit card methods.

Based on my experience. Good luck...

dwkdnvr

Ultimately, there is no bulletproof way to absolutely ensure you won't get scammed. I'm not sure about other payment services, but PayPal is biased towards buyer protection rather than seller, and if they make a claim it can be difficult to provide proof. So, if you're THAT concerned, you might consider dealing locally and try FB marketplace or craigslist (although that seems to be getting less popular)

Having said that, I've been involved in a fair number of 'forum classifieds' transactions over the years as both a buyer and seller. Audio gear, camera gear, telescope gear etc, and not once have I been involved in a scam. Everything has been satisfactory. @Chromatischism has some good advice about documenting the transaction, and IMHO 'forum history' has generally been a useful tool - don't deal with new accounts, or old accounts with little post history unless they can provide credible evidence of other reputable activity.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Each member has a "born on" date when they joined.

In addition to standard PayPal practices, reconsider buyers that joined the day they want to buy your gear.

OP
S

shaney777

Wonderful advice from you all, I very much appreciate the guidance. <3

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Wonderful advice from you all, I very much appreciate the guidance. <3
Read this thread. Most is posted as thoughts about who should be able to sell stuff here. But many of the ideas can play for both the seller and buyer. If they have not been here for at least 3 months and have 50 posts I would not risk it. At the end of the day you are completely on your own. Buyer/Seller Beware.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Read this thread. Most is posted as thoughts about who should be able to sell stuff here. But many of the ideas can play for both the seller and buyer. If they have not been here for at least 3 months and have 50 posts I would not risk it. At the end of the day you are completely on your own. Buyer/Seller Beware.

3 months is plausible, 30 posts less :

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
How to sell here without getting scammed?
If someone's interested on what you're selling, I don't see why not creating an add on eBay and give the link to the buyer. After all, eBay is safe, right?

Also, as a seller you should probably wait for the money first, then prepare the shipping.

I've only sold audio electronics internationally via Internet forums twice and all went fine, but I got money paid upfront, so it was an easy job for me. I've created an invoice on PayPal, I video-recorded the packaging process and I've also included an unique ID sealing label purchased online. Audio device was packed in a transparent bag and sealed with the above label, so if something went wrong on arrival then the buyer had the invoice, the unmanipulated original movie and he could get to Police.

Most services protect buyers far better than they do for sellers. Selling to someone who has a good buying history and solid feedback will lower the risk but things can still happen. The problem is that for something of this value, law enforcement will likely ignore any related requests.

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I once sold (via ebay) a perfect Gossen light meter to a Dr. in California. He opened a case on me and ebay refunded his money and took it back from me.

It turned out what he wanted was a flash capable meter unit about three models later than the one that I very clearly described and photographed.

I complained to ebay and they actually gave me a refund too but I had to report him to some federal fraud registry which I was only too happy to do. He had claimed it didn't work. It came with the original box which he did not return.

If you sell on ebay you can sell things under the "Parts" category and I think you will have better luck not accepting returns. Even if you state that you don't accept returns, ebay can override you.

Top Bottom