• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How To Run Speakers From Both AVR For HT and AMP/DAC For Stereo Music?

luft262

I'm contemplating getting better speakers. The speakers I want are harder to drive than my current speakers. I want to use these for both home theater and for listening to music. Technically, my AVR is rated at 100 watts per channel, for 2 channels, at 8 ohms, but we all know how accurate inexpensive AVR specs are... Anyway, what I'd like to know is can a person somehow have two sets of amps. An AVR for home theater/video game stuff and a separate amp and dac for 2 channel music, but use the same tower speakers and subs for both? Is there like a good switcher box or something that can be used to flip the connection between the AVR and the alternate amp being used for music?

Alternatively, do they make or what would I look for if I wanted a good amp for both home theater (multiple channels) and stereo, but that allowed me to use a seperate DAC? Do they make something like a DAC that can accept a bunch of HDMI inputs, but then just sends it all via one HDMI to a seperate power AMP? This way I could buy like one AMP and keep it for life and then just upgrade DACS every once in a while instead of getting a new low level AVR every five to ten years?

Or am I better off just getting the best AVR I can afford and using it for both home theater and music?

Thanks.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm contemplating getting better speakers. The speakers I want are harder to drive than my current speakers. I want to use these for both home theater and for listening to music. Technically, my AVR is rated at 100 watts per channel, for 2 channels, at 8 ohms, but we all know how accurate inexpensive AVR specs are... Anyway, what I'd like to know is can a person somehow have two sets of amps. An AVR for home theater/video game stuff and a separate amp and dac for 2 channel music, but use the same tower speakers and subs for both? Is there like a good switcher box or something that can be used to flip the connection between the AVR and the alternate amp being used for music?

Alternatively, do they make or what would I look for if I wanted a good amp for both home theater (multiple channels) and stereo, but that allowed me to use a seperate DAC? Do they make something like a DAC that can accept a bunch of HDMI inputs, but then just sends it all via one HDMI to a seperate power AMP? This way I could buy like one AMP and keep it for life and then just upgrade DACS every once in a while instead of getting a new low level AVR every five to ten years?

Or am I better off just getting the best AVR I can afford and using it for both home theater and music?

Thanks.
If the AVR has preamp outputs for the L+R front channels you could get a separate stereo power amp for the front speakers.

OP
luft262

luft262

If the AVR has preamp outputs for the L+R front channels you could get a separate stereo power amp for the front speakers.

I saw mention of that, but then how would I get my subs to run with both the stereo amp and the AVR?

Thanks

OP
luft262

luft262

Also, If I used the pre out (on my AVR, zone b) and ditched my subs for music that would mean I still have to use the DAC in the AVR correct? The pre-out would go to an external amp. I would like to use a completely different AMP and DAC for stereo playback?!

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Also, If I used the pre out (on my AVR, zone b) and ditched my subs for music that would mean I still have to use the DAC in the AVR correct? The pre-out would go to an external amp. I would like to use a completely different AMP and DAC for stereo playback?!

Correct, you generally have to make compromises somewhere. You can use the bass management and subs through the AVR but yes the DAC in the AVR will be used. For my system that is what I do but I can also use the two channel system completely seperately without the AVR, using it's other inputs. Also, my preamp has it's own bass management so I can use subs for multi and 2 channel if I want to, by getting the AVR to route all bass to the fronts them refiltering bass to sub/s in the preamp. I am not doing that at the moment though as my speakers produce enough bass in room with a little EQ.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I saw mention of that, but then how would I get my subs to run with both the stereo amp and the AVR?

Thanks
The sub would still work as before. You just don't use the internal power amps in the AVR for the L+R front channels.

OP
luft262

luft262

I also looked up just getting a preamp and a power amp, but that gets super pricey!!! Maybe I'll just upgrade to something good, but basic and easy to drive, like the Klipsch rp 8000f, and run it on my current, basic Onkyo 7.2 avr and call it a day!

Lawyrup843

Just recently went through the same challenge with my Denon 4700. Debated on getting a preamp that has home theater bypass but finally decided to just spend the money on a separate system for stereo listening. Got a pre amp, stereo power amp, separate DAC, and a little subwoofer. I can honestly say it’s sounds great (better than the Denon hands down) and I don’t miss the money.

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It is annoying that my Yamaha RXA3030 does not provide a digital pre out regardless of which digital in signal is selected…that would allow a downstream DAC/amp that could listen to a receiver selection, or directly take its own inputs.

It would be great if DACs included an “analog bypass” set of input terminals so that your DAC amp do not need to route through an intermediary preamp in order to integrate legacy analogue equipment. (Minidsp does have analog in, but it isn’t a simple bypass)

Ajnagrekoms

I have 7.2.4 in the bedroom and living room ran by a denon 8500 but am using the denon as a preamp with outlaw7000x running my surrounds and outdoor speakers and 4 ncore monoblock diy builds running the stereo speakers. My surround systems are all klipsch rp line witb spl150 subs and inhave cornwall ivs in the living room. The system is amazing sounding for movies however i was not happy with the internal dac at all when jt came to stereo listening. What i ended up doing was getting a little big bear source selector switch on amazon which allows me to switch between dac and avr sources and to which set of speakrs i want to use be it living room or bedroom stereo or surround. Still looking for a way to incorporate the dac with surround to totally eliminstr usage of the internal denon dac even when watching movies but for now it is a night and day difference in fidelity just incorporating the ncores with a rather inexpensive s.m.s.l su8 dac.

EdTice

Thanks.
In order to have a separate two-channel system in the way you describe, you would need speaker-level switches. You'd also need the ability to switch the subwoofer. You didn't mention if it's active or passive. Since most DACs don't HPF the mains, you would need to adjust your subwoofer crossover as you switched systems. It can be done.

I think you would be much happier getting a decent AVR (X3600 for example) with a good DAC implementation where you can disconnect the internal amps for L/R and use an external amp (if that's important to you). My hypothesis, though, is that you will be happy enough with the internal amps in the X3600H that you don't even bother with external amps.

I don't know why you would update your DAC periodically. Once you are at a 100 SINAD, there's not much upgrading left to do!

You didn't mention what speakers you are considering. How loud do you listen? At pedestrian volumes, your AVR will drive almost any speakers and the X3600H is pretty capable.

OP
luft262

luft262

In order to have a separate two-channel system in the way you describe, you would need speaker-level switches. You'd also need the ability to switch the subwoofer. You didn't mention if it's active or passive. Since most DACs don't HPF the mains, you would need to adjust your subwoofer crossover as you switched systems. It can be done.

I think you would be much happier getting a decent AVR (X3600 for example) with a good DAC implementation where you can disconnect the internal amps for L/R and use an external amp (if that's important to you). My hypothesis, though, is that you will be happy enough with the internal amps in the X3600H that you don't even bother with external amps.

I don't know why you would update your DAC periodically. Once you are at a 100 SINAD, there's not much upgrading left to do!

You didn't mention what speakers you are considering. How loud do you listen? At pedestrian volumes, your AVR will drive almost any speakers and the X3600H is pretty capable.
I got the Demon X3700H. It's the best all around option that was available to me. I really like it! Thanks!

EdTice

I got the Demon X3700H. It's the best all around option that was available to me. I really like it! Thanks!
I think that you have made an overwhelmingly good choice. I have the X3600H based on the reviews here and haven't found a compelling reason to upgrade yet. I bought it in 2020 as "last year's model" At some point I will own the X3700H when a good deal comes along and move the X3600H to my upstairs. As far as I can tell the only big difference is with the X3700H you can disconnect all of the amps and use it as a prepro but I have no interest in buying nine channels of external amplification and running a tangle of interconnects! I think, at this point, the answer to just about every question on how to build a system is to just by the AVR! Good luck. Hope it brings much enjoyment.

I have an AVR that I use for both stereo listening and movies. When listening to stereo it’s in analog direct mode bypassing DSP. In that mode the stereo signal is fed from an external high quality DAC into the AVR analog input. So the AVR is acting like a preamp. I have 150W of class G amplification which seems ample for my full range electrostatic speakers since their bass drivers are amplified. That power only is used for the panel. Should I need more power, I could add a separate stereo amp connected to the AVR line level out. I current only use the sub for movies when the AVR is in DSP mode, but conceivably I could use the sub for stereo listening (connected via line-level or speaker) and make crossover, phase, and attenuation adjustments directly on the sub.

OP
luft262

luft262

I think that you have made an overwhelmingly good choice. I have the X3600H based on the reviews here and haven't found a compelling reason to upgrade yet. I bought it in 2020 as "last year's model" At some point I will own the X3700H when a good deal comes along and move the X3600H to my upstairs. As far as I can tell the only big difference is with the X3700H you can disconnect all of the amps and use it as a prepro but I have no interest in buying nine channels of external amplification and running a tangle of interconnects! I think, at this point, the answer to just about every question on how to build a system is to just by the AVR! Good luck. Hope it brings much enjoyment.
I agree that an AVR is a convenient choice! Some of the Denon AVRs are very close to or even better than most seperate amps. It would be nice if their DACs could be at the level of a Topping or SMSL for stereo listening but that's life! I'm not sure the difference would be noticable from speakers in a multipurpose room anyway. I have a headphone setup with a JDS Atom Amp/DAC combo for super critical listening if I'm in the mood. Before the Denon I had an Onkyo AVR and it's amazing how much better Audyssey and MultEQX32 is over the Onkyo's EQ. I think the X3600H technically measured better than the 3700 here on ASR so no need to upgrade IMHO! I thought about the 4700, but the $500 extra didn't seem worth it for basically just a front side HDMI.

Top Bottom