• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to remotely control my iPad for playing (Hi-Res) Lossless music

Brambo67

My current setup is based upon playing home cinema ánd stereo music. The basis is a Denon AVC-X4700H (2nd iteration without HDM-issues but with lower spec'd DAC), Wharfedale EVO 4.4 main (tower) speakers, a Wharfedale 4C center speaker and Wharfedale Diamond 220 acting as surround and surround back speakers. Four simple Jamo's complete the 7.1.4 setup as ceiling Atmos speakers including a Jamo S810 sub. The front EVO's both are driven by a Marantz MM-7025 power amp. Most of the time I use Apple Music to stream lossless to the Denon. It works well and I'm happy with the quality. Every now and then however I want to benefit from Hi-Res quality because of which I connected a Topping E30 DAC to the Denon (analog connection) In theory this should give the 'cleanest signal' in my setup.

There is one thing however bugging me; every time I want to change artist or song, I need to get up, grab the iPad and make the change. Wouldn't there be a more simple solution through which I could remotely control the iPad, with an iPhone perhaps? I've read of something like that bu can't really find a concrete answer to my question. Is it at all possible, and if so, how?

D

Deleted member 50971

Hi, I have my iPhone/iPad tethered via a 16’ USB cable to my DAC so I can control everything from my listening position. I understand many people will not want to do that, but it works well. I also just bought the Wiim mini streamer, and use its toslink output to my favorite DAC. Via the app for both iOS, and android it works flawlessly, and the sound quality is exactly the same (although louder via the app) as it is when I use USB. It supports Hi-Res, Tidal (MQA support coming soon) Amazon music HD, V tuner which was important for me to get Internet radio, and others. Supposedly they are in talks with Apple Music, you know how that goes.

Anyway I found it a low cost and effective alternative to going all Apple.

D

Deleted member 50971

By the way I also wanted to do something similar to what you’re trying to do, and it seems there may be ways to do it. In the end I gave up and that’s when I went with the USB cable, now I have more flexibility with the Wiim.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
B

Brambo67

I also use a ‘long-ish’ USB to connect the iPad to the Topping E30. However it’s not 16’ and I’m quite certain my better half wouldn’t be happy with the cable in, or should I say; through, the room.. I stretched it to the max with 11 speakers and a sub… I continue looking for the Apple remote solution. I know it should be possible.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here is an article published by Apple on how to use your iPhone to remotely control your iPad. It is a pain in the ass to set up and frankly does not do a very good job as it does not directly mirror the two devices: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205644

Apple really should have a remote. I'm sure they'd sell millions of them.
(EDIT): I gave up on this and also use a long USB cord like JJMulnar and Brambo67. Much easier.

D

Deleted member 50971

I also use a ‘long-ish’ USB to connect the iPad to the Topping E30. However it’s not 16’ and I’m quite certain my better half wouldn’t be happy with the cable in, or should I say; through, the room.. I stretched it to the max with 11 speakers and a sub… I continue looking for the Apple remote solution. I know it should be possible.
I understand, I have my own music and home theater room separate from the rest of the house, so the wifey doesn’t mind.

If i had the Wiim mini streamer 18 months ago I would not have went with the long USB cable.

Anyway best of luck in your search.

Midnight Audiophile

Audirvana has an app for the iPhone that lets you control the program running on another device. I use Qobuz (and have tried Tidal with it) and it works well. I have Audirvana Studio running on my MacPro then streaming to a DAC, then use the app on my iPhone as a remote control.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I’m using the iPad as remote control and a Mac mini as player. On the mini I run Roon or Audirvana or Apple Music. You can get older Mac minis reasonably cheap, but this is probably still more expensive than what you had in mind.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
My current setup is based upon playing home cinema ánd stereo music. The basis is a Denon AVC-X4700H (2nd iteration without HDM-issues but with lower spec'd DAC), Wharfedale EVO 4.4 main (tower) speakers, a Wharfedale 4C center speaker and Wharfedale Diamond 220 acting as surround and surround back speakers. Four simple Jamo's complete the 7.1.4 setup as ceiling Atmos speakers including a Jamo S810 sub. The front EVO's both are driven by a Marantz MM-7025 power amp. Most of the time I use Apple Music to stream lossless to the Denon. It works well and I'm happy with the quality. Every now and then however I want to benefit from Hi-Res quality because of which I connected a Topping E30 DAC to the Denon (analog connection) In theory this should give the 'cleanest signal' in my setup.

There is one thing however bugging me; every time I want to change artist or song, I need to get up, grab the iPad and make the change. Wouldn't there be a more simple solution through which I could remotely control the iPad, with an iPhone perhaps? I've read of something like that bu can't really find a concrete answer to my question. Is it at all possible, and if so, how?
Here are the instructions for how to pair the IPad with the IPhone:

D

Deleted member 50971

I’ve never used Roon, but I understand it works well.

Apexplus

Here is an article published by Apple on how to use your iPhone to remotely control your iPad. It is a pain in the ass to set up and frankly does not do a very good job as it does not directly mirror the two devices: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205644

Apple really should have a remote. I'm sure they'd sell millions of them.
(EDIT): I gave up on this and also use a long USB cord like JJMulnar and Brambo67. Much easier.
me2 -- after tried switch controlling iPad with iPhone and was let down since there is no screen mirroring between the two devices, so I can't effectively remote control iPad hooked to DAC that is at the other side of the living room...

emailed Apple urging for a proper remote feature no Apple Music but got a polite "not yet" kinda reply -- arghhhhh

I am thinking to add a network bridge to my current HiFi setup so to stream music wirelessly from PC, but haven't found anything that value for $ and HiRes competent yet.

Last edited:

mkt

I have an iPad hooked up to some speakers and would like to have a remote control situation. I have local files and Apple Music streaming.

What I am seeing is that Roon and LMS (ipeng + squeezeserver) are fine for local files and can be controlled remotely (iPhone) by multiple users. For controlling Apple Music I see "control nearby devices" and that has very limited functionality (I think? see below). I did not manage to get the switches to work and it's limited by the requirement of same Apple ID.

So playing (and remote controlling) local files seems fine but I don't see a good way to control Apple Music. Did I miss anything?
1671552276809.jpeg
1671552292031.jpeg

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I continue looking for the Apple remote solution. I know it should be possible.
I'm looking for the same solution. Something like a Apple Music remote. At this time I don't think one is available.
Here are the instructions for how to pair the IPad with the IPhone:
This does not work. Well it does but not as an Apple Music remote.

AdamG

Forum Donor
I'm looking for the same solution. Something like a Apple Music remote. At this time I don't think one is available.

This does not work. Well it does but not as an Apple Music remote.
It does work with Apple TV as your server. I use it like this almost daily and it does send lossless to the AVR or Amp.

Webninja

Forum Donor
What about Siri? I use Siri to verbally play music on an Apple TV. I haven’t tried, but maybe you can say hey Siri play Metallica Master of Puppets on iPad (whatever your iPad is named).

Reactions: mkt

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

mkt

What about Siri? I use Siri to verbally play music on an Apple TV. I haven’t tried, but maybe you can say hey Siri play Metallica Master of Puppets on iPad (whatever your iPad is named).
That does seem to work. To the extent that I can get the right Siri to do what I say.

OP
B

Brambo67

It does work with Apple TV as your server. I use it like this almost daily and it does send lossless to the AVR or Amp.
Unfortunately no 'Hi-res lossless' audio. Apple TV does support lossless and also Atmos.

AdamG

Forum Donor
Unfortunately no 'Hi-res lossless' audio. Apple TV does support lossless and also Atmos.
I seem to be getting lossless and better. Up to 24/96 streaming from my iPad Pro to Appletv 2nd Gen 4k. Maybe the specific devices matter? I can do a few screen shots later if requested.

Top Bottom