• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to remotely control my iPad for playing (Hi-Res) Lossless music

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I seem to be getting lossless and better. Up to 24/96 streaming from my iPad Pro to Appletv 2nd Gen 4k. Maybe the specific devices matter? I can do a few screen shots later if requested.
If you’re using cables it may be possible. Though I’m pretty sure Apple TV down samples to 48.

Dumdum

My current setup is based upon playing home cinema ánd stereo music. The basis is a Denon AVC-X4700H (2nd iteration without HDM-issues but with lower spec'd DAC), Wharfedale EVO 4.4 main (tower) speakers, a Wharfedale 4C center speaker and Wharfedale Diamond 220 acting as surround and surround back speakers. Four simple Jamo's complete the 7.1.4 setup as ceiling Atmos speakers including a Jamo S810 sub. The front EVO's both are driven by a Marantz MM-7025 power amp. Most of the time I use Apple Music to stream lossless to the Denon. It works well and I'm happy with the quality. Every now and then however I want to benefit from Hi-Res quality because of which I connected a Topping E30 DAC to the Denon (analog connection) In theory this should give the 'cleanest signal' in my setup.

There is one thing however bugging me; every time I want to change artist or song, I need to get up, grab the iPad and make the change. Wouldn't there be a more simple solution through which I could remotely control the iPad, with an iPhone perhaps? I've read of something like that bu can't really find a concrete answer to my question. Is it at all possible, and if so, how?
Erm, actually a topping d10s or an Smsl po100 feeding coax into the AVR is the cleanest way of getting signal in, you are turning the signal from digital to analogue, and then as soon as it enters the AVR it gets made digital into its dsp, then the dacs on the dsp outputs feed the power amps, so three conversions… feed it digital from a usb digital bridge as I’ve listed and it just gets made analogue at the dac stage, you will never get cleaner output than the single dac with digital input

Dumdum

As an aside, in my workshop system, I use a pc set to 44.1khz output to a mini dsp 2x4hd via usb and then the one conversion by the mini dsp dac to my amps

By doing this I can use the remote control app on my iPhone to control what plays and track control etc, works well!

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My current setup is based upon playing home cinema ánd stereo music. The basis is a Denon AVC-X4700H (2nd iteration without HDM-issues but with lower spec'd DAC), Wharfedale EVO 4.4 main (tower) speakers, a Wharfedale 4C center speaker and Wharfedale Diamond 220 acting as surround and surround back speakers. Four simple Jamo's complete the 7.1.4 setup as ceiling Atmos speakers including a Jamo S810 sub. The front EVO's both are driven by a Marantz MM-7025 power amp. Most of the time I use Apple Music to stream lossless to the Denon. It works well and I'm happy with the quality. Every now and then however I want to benefit from Hi-Res quality because of which I connected a Topping E30 DAC to the Denon (analog connection) In theory this should give the 'cleanest signal' in my setup.

There is one thing however bugging me; every time I want to change artist or song, I need to get up, grab the iPad and make the change. Wouldn't there be a more simple solution through which I could remotely control the iPad, with an iPhone perhaps? I've read of something like that bu can't really find a concrete answer to my question. Is it at all possible, and if so, how?
Long cable is the only option or use Spotify Connect if happy with compressed.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tidal connect may also work and is controllable from the app I believe
Does Tidal Connect runs on the Tidal app? The webpage implies only on enabled devices.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I seem to be getting lossless and better. Up to 24/96 streaming from my iPad Pro to Appletv 2nd Gen 4k. Maybe the specific devices matter? I can do a few screen shots later if requested.
Do you mean you can output in 24/96 from the AppleTV of a track that is sent via AirPlay from an iPhone or iPad? I love to know more about that, please.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
That’s what I know hence my question to @AdamG247 for clarification.
This is what I am getting: I use the cast to device function.

701A9680-E6A4-4A8A-84B4-814758A49850.jpeg

AdamG

Forum Donor
If you’re using cables it may be possible. Though I’m pretty sure Apple TV down samples to 48.
See my above post. This is using Apple Music casted to Appletv 4k 2nd Gen via hdmi to Denon AVR.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is what I am getting: I use the cast to device function.

View attachment 251540
Isn’t that what your Mac is receiving, not what AppleTV is outputting? It’s likely AirPlay is downsampling? I think that’s what you call cast? If I’m wrong I appreciate if you explain what cast is, please.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apple Music casted to Appletv 4k
"Casted" is a Amazon term. With Apple its AirPlay. Airplay is limited to 44. If you go cable direct then the 24/192 is possible.

AdamG

Forum Donor
"Casted" is a Amazon term. With Apple its AirPlay. Airplay is limited to 44. If you go cable direct then the 24/192 is possible.
It’s not AirPlay as far as I know. I am running Apple Music on the Appletv app and controlling it from the iPad. I have no other way to verify the exact song quality other than the screen shot provided above. I do not profess to be certain of any information, as this gets complicated by all the handoffs involved. Apparently the screenshot information is incorrect as you seem far more certain than I am about this. Sorry for any confusion. I’m going to Tap Out now. ;)

On edit: My mistake as I forgot to mention the Node 2i is in the chain. So AirPlay from IPad to ATV to Node to Analog input on AVR. :facepalm:

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
AirPlay from IPad to ATV to Node to Analog input on AVR
Lots of stuff happening there. You may want to reduce and simplify. I don't see any reason to have the NODE in there and surely there is a better input of your AVR.

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Get a SBC (RPi or TinkerBoard) and put Volumio on it. Buy the $69 per year Volumio subscription as the upgrades over the free version are well worth it. At this point you have spent less than $150.

You can run the Volumio UI wirelessly from multiple phones or tablets in your house and send your music to the RPi or TinkerBoard from your tablet or phone. Of course you can establish a full digital music library on a hard drive or NAS and Volumio will manage that quite nicely. Or you can subscribe to Tidal, Spotify, etc. and Volumio will run those.

You can even attach a USB disc drive to your SBC and Volumio will enable it to be used as a full function CD player or CD burner to burn your CD's into your music library.

It's a wonderful world we live in.

RPi or Tinkerboard $75
Volumio upgrade $69
External Disc drive $50
Micro SD Card $10

Wireless happiness: priceless.

Roon would do the same thing and do it better but for more money.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s not AirPlay as far as I know. I am running Apple Music on the Appletv app and controlling it from the iPad. I have no other way to verify the exact song quality other than the screen shot provided above. I do not profess to be certain of any information, as this gets complicated by all the handoffs involved. Apparently the screenshot information is incorrect as you seem far more certain than I am about this. Sorry for any confusion. I’m going to Tap Out now. ;)

On edit: My mistake as I forgot to mention the Node 2i is in the chain. So AirPlay from IPad to ATV to Node to Analog input on AVR. :facepalm:
A much simpler option would be to use Apple Music on your iPad and AirPlay to your NODE/AVR. The iPad has a much better interface for music.

Top Bottom