• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to remotely control my iPad for playing (Hi-Res) Lossless music

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s not AirPlay as far as I know. I am running Apple Music on the Appletv app and controlling it from the iPad.
I do not understand how this is done. I appreciate if you elaborate further.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
I do not understand how this is done. I appreciate if you elaborate further.
I don’t really either. I start up my AVR and ATV. Then I use an IPad from the couch, open the Apple Music app (Just became an Apple Music suscriber a few weeks ago. Still learning the ropes) and select what I want to play. Then I click on the airplay symbol and a pull-down menu pops up. I select the ATV from my network and it plays on the AVR and my tv screen starts to show the song information and lyrics. I could very easily be mistaken about exactly what is happening here. Here are a few screenshots to illustrate what I think is happening.

A05DF1F6-5553-46FD-82DD-98AD08E82D41.jpeg

C187DC9D-67E4-460A-A053-5BBA75D1BA42.jpeg

2E8EA696-7D5D-4D2C-99F5-CE80ECAD5456.jpeg

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t really either. I start up my AVR and ATV. Then I use an IPad from the couch, open the Apple Music app (Just became an Apple Music suscriber a few weeks ago. Still learning the ropes) and select what I want to play. Then I click on the airplay symbol and a pull-down menu pops up. I select the ATV from my network and it plays on the AVR and my tv screen starts to show the song information and lyrics. I could very easily be mistaken about exactly what is happening here. Here are a few screenshots to illustrate what I think is happening.

View attachment 251603

View attachment 251604

View attachment 251605
You are sending audio to AppleTV via AirPlay. You are not remote controlling the AppleTV. If you power down your iPad music will stop.

The transfer is done via AirPlay, which is limited to 16/44, hence your hi-res tracked are downsampled.

This is what is generally known but I’m happy to be proven wrong.

Webninja

Forum Donor
I can check my settings, but via Homekit, I can control an AppleTV and select the Apple Music app and play music through my Denon AVR.

I’m not casting or using Airplay, rather finding the AppleTV in Homekit and using my phone as a remote.

That being said, I don’t think I’m getting any better than 48/24

Dumdum

I can check my settings, but via Homekit, I can control an AppleTV and select the Apple Music app and play music through my Denon AVR.

I’m not casting or using Airplay, rather finding the AppleTV in Homekit and using my phone as a remote.

Yeah that is accurate, you just use the phone as a remote, but Apple TV doesn’t support high res, and nor does airplay

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

That is like using the AppleTV remote though isn't it? All iPhone's now have a remote accessed via the swipe down right menu (I don't know the name of that menu.)

However, if the TV is not on you will not able to operate the AppleTV as you don't see what you are controlling.

Am I correct?

Dumdum

That is like using the AppleTV remote though isn't it? All iPhone's now have a remote accessed via the swipe down right menu (I don't know the name of that menu.)

However, if the TV is not on you will not able to operate the AppleTV as you don't see what you are controlling.

Am I correct?
That’s my take as well and is what I find

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah that is accurate, you just use the phone as a remote, but Apple TV doesn’t support high res, and nor does airplay
Not quite true Apple TV4k . If you go to settings > apps > Music you can select lossless ALAC up to 24-bit/48 kHz.

If you use Airplay it gets reduced to 44/16

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In a nutshell: Apple Audio

iPhone, iPad, Macbook etc all support up to 24/192 via cable
Apple TX 4K supports up to 24/48 via HDMI
AirPlay 16/44

The only way to get up to 24/192 is via direct cable from iPhone, iPad, Macbook etc. As soon as you add Airplay into the mix it gets reduced to 16/44.

Dumdum

Not quite true Apple TV4k . If you go to settings > apps > Music you can select lossless ALAC up to 24-bit/48 kHz.

If you use Airplay it gets reduced to 44/16
He was referring to Apple TV using the phone or iPad as a remote, not using airplay and he said he didn’t think he was getting better than 48khz/24bit, I agree and you just did too, what’s not true?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

pepie34

Still no way to control Apple Music iOS devices from another iOS device ?
With apple classical music it is a bit painfull !

On my side, I have an old iPhone 8 connected to a usb to tosling converter then to two topping DACs by optical link.
It works perfectly well at 192/24 but I have to get up of my chair to change tracks...

Reactions: mkt

Dumdum

Still no way to control Apple Music iOS devices from another iOS device ?
With apple classical music it is a bit painfull !

On my side, I have an old iPhone 8 connected to a usb to tosling converter then to two topping DACs by optical link.
It works perfectly well at 192/24 but I have to get up of my chair to change tracks...
Buy a Bluetooth remote

pepie34

Actually you can do a track forward or backward from an other iOS device, macOS or Siri (using accessibility remote control) so a bluetooth remote is unworthy.
I was asking a way to remotely change a playlist, browse the library, choose new tracks, .... as spotify remote can do.

The answer could not be airplay as stated in this thread before: as soon as you do through airplay it reverts to 48/16 max

Jazz

Apple has Control Other Speaker & TV (COST) which is their version of Connect. However, it is limited to the device playing, which does not include an iOS device so, not really applicable. If they updated this feature to also be iOS to iOS control, that would be the answer!

Attachments

• IMG_2804.png
    IMG_2804.png
    831.5 KB · Views: 44

pepie34

And I found no synchro device compatible with COST that can be linked to DAC and output hires (contrary to an iOS device). If you known one…

Top Bottom