• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to quote a post and get to "Click to expand..." it?

arvidb

How do you quote a message so that it's possible to expand it ("Click to expand..."), and to view the image(s) of the original message? Like in this message.

If I quote a message (using the Reply button), it looks like in this post (i.e. links to any attachments in the quoted post).

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
You quote it and then:

How do you quote a message so that it's possible to expand it ("Click to expand..."), and to view the image(s) of the original message? Like in this message.

If I quote a message (using the Reply button), it looks like in this post (i.e. links to any attachments in the quoted post).

Hit reply. When the new post window opens highlight all of the quoted text and click on the Mask looking icon above. Just to the left of the chain link icon.

Last edited:

AdamG

Forum Donor

If that’s not what you mean. The expand function is pretty much automatic when the quoted post is long the system will do it automatically.

OP
arvidb

arvidb

Thanks for helping! No, I'm not talking about the mask/spoiler functionality.

Hmm, it's weird: compare quoting this post and this post (e.g. using the preview function). The first one quotes like this:
quote1.png

and the second one like this:
quote2.png

Both posts are similar, with one large image and very little text.

AdamG

Forum Donor
The “Click to expand” function is automatic and the system decides based on size of quoted post and size of any graphics that are included. That’s the only response I have for you. I don’t think there is a manual method for activating this. I could be wrong. Maybe someone will come along and school us both! ;)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If you want to quote something with attachment, you can delete the link to attachment and instead, grab the URL for the image and enclose it manually. Is this what you are asking?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Hit reply. When the new post window opens highlight all of the quoted text and click on the Mask looking icon above. Just to the left of the chain link icon.

Does the mask serve any practical purpose? I mean if you have to click it anyway...

AdamG

Forum Donor
Does the mask serve any practical purpose? I mean if you have to click it anyway...
Yeah, it’s for hiding spoiler’s like discussing a movie so you don’t give away the ending to someone who has not seen it yet. I don’t think it saves any space like the Expand function does. I misunderstood his question obviously :facepalm:

OP
arvidb

arvidb

If you want to quote something with attachment, you can delete the link to attachment and instead, grab the URL for the image and enclose it manually. Is this what you are asking?
The use case here was for a couple of posts in the "Most beautiful speakers in the world ?" thread - e.g. this one. I wanted to comment on a previously posted picture, and thus I wanted the original picture to be visible in the quote (without readers having to click the attachment link). I worked around it by saving the image from the quoted post to disk and attaching it again - grabbing the link would have been much easier, thanks for the tip!

Yeah, you're right, the difference seems to be that one image (the "Click to expand..." one) is linked externally while the other is an attachment. Here's the BB code for quotes of the two messages:

Code:
[QUOTE="cavedriver, post: 1599425, member: 17785"]
Since this thread does double duty as the "ugliest speakers in the world" thread, I saw these and will add them for your consideration:
[IMG]https://steinmusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/Simple_room-XL-11.jpg[/IMG]
(Stein Music Bob XL)
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="flor, post: 1463141, member: 47831"]
[ATTACH type="full" alt="1674829962660.jpeg"]260383[/ATTACH]
Odeon Audio
[/QUOTE]

Hmm, so if I had modified the BBCode a bit so it looks like this:
Code:
[QUOTE="flor, post: 1463141, member: 47831"]
[IMG]https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?attachments/1674829962660-jpeg.260383/[/IMG]
Odeon Audio
[/QUOTE]

index.php

Odeon Audio

Yep, that worked!

OP
arvidb

arvidb

So maybe that's a feature request then: quoting attached and "fully inserted" (as opposed to thumbnailed) images could use the IMG tag instead of adding a text link to the attached image, to preserve the original post as much as possible in the quote.

Top Bottom