• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to properly volume match DACs?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Now, seriously. I am looking for suggestion for songs that anyone can promise me I will hear a monster difference, so at least I can believe that there is any difference whatsoever... from modern DACs (like the new E50) to my trusty old D1 that cannot even play more than 96Khz... :p
Unless you are doing this under blinded conditions and willing to accept the results, your quest is pointless.

OP
B

bsas

Unless you are doing this under blinded conditions and willing to accept the results, your quest is pointless.

I am doing it as blind as possible and I am willing to accept the results. My original goal was to train my ears to learn to hear the differences, but now I am questioning if:

(1) There was never that much difference to begin with;
(2) My hearing is not sensible enough to hear the differences;
(3) My testing methodology somehow is wrong;
(4) Something else;
(5) All the above?

I am using the Topping L50 amp (in theory extremely resolving and transparent) with multiple headphones: ATH-M50, HD6XX, HD58X, HD560s and Koss KPH30i.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
(1) There was never that much difference to begin with;

That's my first choice as well.

So far, there is no actual evidence anyone can hear what you are trying to hear.

Lots of claims, but find me one where they are level matched and go through a properly done double blind test. I don't believe I've seen one.

This is to tell a *difference*, let alone veils bring lifted and bass being forward type of nonsense.

Welcome! I think you'll like it here. We try to cut through the bullshit and rely on real evidence, rather than the latest claim from some self-appointed golden ear.

Top Bottom