• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to pair headphones with a DAC / amplifier

hifinewbie

This is my first venture into the hifi arena. After reading a lot of reviews, I decided to purchase an RME ADI-2 DAC to pair with a new set of headphones, which are yet to be determined. Yesterday, I went to a local shop and tried out a variety of headphones from Focal, Audeze, and Sennhieser. For some reason, I liked the Audeze LCD-XC compared to the Focal Clears. I'm not sure if I am just used to closed back headphones and the isolation they provide. I also like the punch of the Audeze LCD-XC over the Clear. Unfortunately, the reviews seem to clearly favor the Clears when compared to the Audeze. The RME DAC has an equalizer where you can adjust the sound. Do you think I could get the punch I want from the Clears by adjusting the equalizer? Given that the Clears have such great reviews, I'm scared that I am missing something and will regret my decision if I go with the LCD-XC over the Clear headphones.

Thanks a bunch for any advice you may have.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is my first venture into the hifi arena. After reading a lot of reviews, I decided to purchase an RME ADI-2 DAC to pair with a new set of headphones, which are yet to be determined. Yesterday, I went to a local shop and tried out a variety of headphones from Focal, Audeze, and Sennhieser. For some reason, I liked the Audeze LCD-XC compared to the Focal Clears. I'm not sure if I am just used to closed back headphones and the isolation they provide. I also like the punch of the Audeze LCD-XC over the Clear. Unfortunately, the reviews seem to clearly favor the Clears when compared to the Audeze. The RME DAC has an equalizer where you can adjust the sound. Do you think I could get the punch I want from the Clears by adjusting the equalizer? Given that the Clears have such great reviews, I'm scared that I am missing something and will regret my decision if I go with the LCD-XC over the Clear headphones.

Thanks a bunch for any advice you may have.

Trust your own ears and taste. Picking headphones is like picking ties. Treat audio critics as you might treat movie critics. Get to know their tastes and compare their reviews to your own taste.

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Please, don't pick headphones based only on reviews. Subjective reviews don't really tell you anything about how the headphone will sound to you, and objective reviews (such as measurements) are only a tool that can help you understand why something sounds good or bad to you. In the end, it comes down to listening with your own ears. Listen to a variety of headphones, preferably with your own music, with different builds and sound signatures, until you find something that you like (and within your budget obviously).

About the fear of "missing out" – there is some point where headphones start to have diminishing returns. That point is fuzzy and different for every person, but once you crossed that point, no headphone will "miss" something another headphone has, it will just be different. Both the Audeze and the Focal are way past the diminishing returns point for most people, so just pick the one you like.

As for pairing with the RME, it's simple – everything pairs well with it. It's one of the most transparent and competently built amp out there. Nothing to worry about.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Trust your own ears and taste. Picking headphones is like picking ties. Treat audio critics as you might treat movie critics. Get to know their tastes and compare their reviews to your own taste.

Can't say it any better than this. Buy the headphones that sound best to you.

Top Bottom