• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to measure frequency responses of headphones?

asrUser

People like amirm have professional tools to measure headphones, but a Gras 45C is just not in my budget. A cheap alternative would be the miniDSP EARS. Is it really the best bang for the buck? Some reviews told they aren't that accurate and don't provide standard measurements. Are there also alternatives which are not too expensive? Maybe a little DiY?

I just want to check for channel balance in all frequencies and get a general idea about my headphones and compare my measurements to graphs from amirm, crinacle and so on.

someguyontheinternet

There is no way to completely replicate the Gras measurements on a different fixture. This holds true for both cheaper and more expensive alternatives.

For channel balance the EARS should be completely fine, but for frequency response you won't be able to get comparable results.

You can find some more discussion on the topic here:

Top Bottom