• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to make Topping D10 act as a preamp

OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
It can and will play things on it's own, it just needs some type of external control to start it.

That's what I meant when I said it cannot play on it's own. No UPnP renderer can.

I used a MPD app on my phone when I used it.

UPnP/DLNA is better standard than MPD so you'll do much better with BubbleUPnP.

OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
How would one control the volume on all 8 channels with this device? Or would have to be done downstream?

Volumio uses ALSA library. As long as DAC exposes its volume control to the ALSA library volume can be controlled. You would need to have 8 channel DAC who would have to support volume control.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Volumio uses ALSA library. As long as DAC exposes its volume control to the ALSA library volume can be controlled. You would need to have 8 channel DAC who would have to support volume control.

Yeh, I just can't work out whether the u-dac has this capability. It says it uses an unspecified AKM chip. Not sure if it would be capable of it in the way the ESS based D10 is.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
UPnP/DLNA is better standard than MPD so you'll do much better with BubbleUPnP.
I really don't agree with that, forums are full of UPnP playback issues with music, e.g. gapless issues, where MPD based players seem straigforward.

OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
I really don't agree with that, forums are full of UPnP playback issues with music, e.g. gapless issues, where MPD based players seem straigforward.

I wouldn't know, I don't have any issues with Volumio. Linn Kinsky and BubbleUPnP are much feature packed players than any MDP player I have seen, but to each his own.

OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
Yeh, I just can't work out whether the u-dac has this capability. It says it uses an unspecified AKM chip. Not sure if it would be capable of it in the way the ESS based D10 is.

Most modern DAC chips have that feature so I would expect it to support volume control.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Moved my "Volumio problems" post to "Home Music Servers, Computers and Streamers" LINK

Last edited:

eis

I have a Raspberry Pi 3b+ with a Allo DigiOne SPDIF to SMSL M8. Volumio doesn't let me see the M8 or Hardware as a mixer type. Can this option only be used with usb?

Thanks

LSB

Digital volume control involves re-encoding the -dB level. What difference does it make if thats done within a DAC chip filter like a Sabre or before the DAC chip eg in a PC /Pi / Android etc?

OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
I have a Raspberry Pi 3b+ with a Allo DigiOne SPDIF to SMSL M8. Volumio doesn't let me see the M8 or Hardware as a mixer type. Can this option only be used with usb?

Thanks

Yes, I think so.

Btw, I anyhow see no benefit in using Allo DigiOne SPDIF with SMSL M8.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Instead using upn media server could i connect directly my hdd to the rapsberry usb an let volumio play files from the hdd.

Last edited:

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok i got a Raspberry PI 3 B and created a image disk using sd formating + Win32disk imager. When the (8GB) SD disk is made i put it in the Raspberry and it ends like this.
BcO1VOt.jpg
Edit

Now do know i tried another brand new (16GB) SD disk i tried another laptop to write the disk again i even put it in another new Raspberry PI 3 B. an it all stuck as above. Don't know what to do next. So i'm a novice on Rapsberry but ok we al have to learn. Any sugetions are welcome.

ps. NOOBS OS that was on the local sd disk installed flawless.

Last edited:

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok i found the problem. If you unpack the iso file on your disk in your laptop it ask to format disk E H etc. If you do so it can't mount ( so it looks like) If you ignor this question to format (under windows) it works fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom