• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to make most of my room/listening position?

stva

I'm waiting for my first pair of monitor speakers to arrive (Genelec 8030) and I've just realised that my current desk setup may not be the best for what those speakers can offer. I must say that I have no technical background in audio/sound engineering and that the speakers will sit on my desk, mostly for listening and maybe some basic recordings (just for learning). The entire system will be a laptop, connected to an SSL 2+ interface and then to the Genelecs. All I want is to optimise my space as much as possible for listening purposes.

The first challenge is to understand how to place a new desk (the existing one must stay where it is) and how can I improve the acoustic of my room, which is 6x3.6m and it looks like this.

IMG_2058.JPG

The desk on the left of the sketch is fixed and is used for something else (that can't be moved). A new desk can be placed anywhere in the room and that will be the one with the Genelecs and my laptop on it. Also, the ceiling is sloped, like in the attached picture (to orientate, please note that on the right of the picture is one leg of the existing/fixed desks that is illustrated above)

IMG_2056 2.JPG

And a second picture that shows the ceiling, looking at the wall that has 2 small windows (it's the wall on the right in the sketch posted above)

IMG_2060.JPG

Considering that the monitors should sit close to a wall, where is the best place for the new desk and what other treatments should I do to my room in order to get the best of my Genelecs?

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Oh man, that does look like a tricky space to dial in just right. But it's always good to have one just for working & jamming tunes.

The good news is you picked well with Genelec for near-field listening. Their website advises on placement: https://www.genelec.com/monitor-placement

My best advice is to get the speakers up off the desk on stands. As you're clearly aware, that room may present enough reflection issues. Might as well mitigate the problem of sitting the speakers on the desktop.

As for more knowledgeable suggestions on dealing with reflections and room treatments I'll leave that to members more knowledgeable than I!

OP
S

stva

Thank you! It does look tricky, indeed. Even more so when I don’t have the knowledge to make it better :).

For now I’m thinking to place the new desk close to the wall with the two small windows, trying to follow the Genelec recommendations: less than 60 cm from the back wall to the monitors and more then 1m between the desk and the sidewalls. Then I’ll probably buy some absorbing panels for the ceiling slopes. If that’s not sufficient, I’ll also try to put something behind me. From what I read, behind I must put a scattering surface.

Hopefully my ear will tell me if the changes are good or bad as I don’t have any test equipment.

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'd be tempted to also try the long bare wall, so that your existing desk is to your right.

The ceiling may not be an issue. Your biggest problem will be getting a smooth bass response. Getting that right is the first task. After that sorting out the mids and highs will be easier.

To get smooth bass response requires good positioning, bass traps, subwoofer(s), and DSP/EQ, or any combination of these that you can practically carry out.

If you want to do the job properly you will need to measure the response. This can be done by your ears, test tones and ears or SPL (sound pressure level) meters, or best, sophisticated software like Room EQ Wizard (REW) and a microphone. I suggest to start with you use your ears and this free test tone recording:

http://realtraps.com/test-cd.htm

This site also gives lots of info including about using REW and bass traps etc..

Be careful. Getting good sound could become addictive but it is rewarding.

OP
S

stva

Thank you! Once I receive the monitors I’ll test that placement as well. And most probably end up playing with REW as well. The big problem now is that the shipping date for my monitors has been pushed back :(

OP
S

stva

After another push back I've decided to cancel my order and went for 8330 + GLM kit instead. Hopefully, the new toys will be with me in two weeks and I'll be able to report back. Meanwhile, this is the first desk position I'm going to try. Behind me, there are a bit more than 2m up to the wall, but I'm thinking to place two Ikea EILIF panels as absorption material, at 0.5m behind the chair.

IMG_2305.JPG

OP
S

stva

The toys are here, so let the fun begin :) I've made my first calibration (single point, individual eq, cloud autocal 2). I don't know yet how to fully interpret the measurements, but I was wondering why some of the big dips can't be corrected by GLM (e.g. between 150-180 HZ)? It means that those are phase cancellation issues (not sure if this is the correct term) and that I need to reposition the speakers? And sorry if what I say/ask is completely stupid... I'm just starting with this "beautiful craziness"
Screenshot 2022-01-06 at 13.54.54.png

Top Bottom