• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to make a headphone test plalist

Hello ! I recently came across the ASR's headphone test playlist in a thread about EQ. I went through a good part of it. I now have the following interrrogation: how was it crafted ?

I can tell that one would choose music of his taste. I suppose there should be tracks with characteristics to evaluate the headphones across the whole audible spectrum: one with a good bass, one with a quiet piano, one with very quite and very loud moments (good'ol approximation of dynamic range if I am not mistaken), with and without voices, and so on. Maybe a bineural of Jarre for imaging ? Tracks that are well mastered too, or mainly, because they will thus retain qualities mentioned above ? (note: I have not read yet the reference library about mastering).

What would someone look for when making a personal test playlist ?

Thanks for the explanations.

EDIT: maybe I should have posted that in music

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is the one I made on Youtube Music. It's about variety for me to test headphones. I get a few different pairs each week and just take a run through these.

I wouldn't over-analyze it since equipment can measure them, but it's the type of music you like and how it sounds. Have fun and mix it up, so you can get a good idea how a headphone sounds with a variety of artists and instruments.

markanini

Major Contributor
Use songs you are familiar with and like, music is an emotional medium.

Top Bottom