• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to integrate your turntable/analog source in your streaming system - Step by step instructions for dummies

djtetei

Personally, I prefer to keep my analog sources (turntables and reel to reel) in the same domain throughout the entire gain stage and avoid analog to digital to analog conversion or digital signal processing.
If cable runs are required for the job, I use them without any restraints because I prefer to use balanced connections which allows me to route cables and send the audio signal on long distances.
For the turntable position, there is only one option - behind the speakers or in line with them, to prevent the cartridge to pick up the sound produced by the speakers.

OP
M

MCH

Major Contributor
Hm, i don't think i will ever go back to no room correction, so i guess AD is here to stay in my case, even if i return to cables for the vinyl rig.
Once you get rid of those room modes, they become way too evident when you have them back :D

djtetei

You can use room correction equalisation in analog domain also.
The problem is that many people don't have acoustic treatment built into their rooms and "room correction equalisation" in untreated environment can only do so much.
It is more helpful to work on the room treatment options, incrementally and keeping and eye on available finances, than to alter the sound via equalisation.

Last edited:
Reactions: MCH

mctron

You can do this on any Pi running Picoreplayer via Tweaks -> Streamer for audio input if you have an acceptable input device. In fact I am using a Behringer UCA202 that I picked up for $10 on sale the other day on Amazon. The output goes to a URL that can be played back anywhere. Naturally you can play it back through your LMS and broadcast it that way. For me the latency is a tiny fraction of a second, in my quick test, playing back through foobar2k on Windows (Pi zero running pCP, encoding to FLAC 16/48). So in that respect it probably is a better option than using WavInput from the LMS server itself which OP said is about 5-6 seconds.

OP
M

MCH

Major Contributor
You can do this on any Pi running Picoreplayer via Tweaks -> Streamer for audio input if you have an acceptable input device. In fact I am using a Behringer UCA202 that I picked up for $10 on sale the other day on Amazon. The output goes to a URL that can be played back anywhere. Naturally you can play it back through your LMS and broadcast it that way. For me the latency is a tiny fraction of a second, in my quick test, playing back through foobar2k on Windows (Pi zero running pCP, encoding to FLAC 16/48). So in that respect it probably is a better option than using WavInput from the LMS server itself which OP said is about 5-6 seconds.
Great to know, thanks!
For me the long latency is actually good because my TT is far from my listening area, and when i use headphones it is even necessary. But for other use cases might be better short, of course.

mctron

Great to know, thanks!
For me the long latency is actually good because my TT is far from my listening area, and when i use headphones it is even necessary. But for other use cases might be better short, of course.
Yes sure. This method is also good in the way that it can run on any Pi player, for instance the one that happens to be near your TT, not just the one with LMS running on it (in my case that is a PC out of the way).

Hakem

What works for me is the following Xtra steps!

check if the DAC+ ADC is connected correctly:
IN MY CASE THIS IS THE Behringer UFO 202
$ arecord -l
=**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 1: CODEC [USB Audio CODEC], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
=fill in at LMS Favorites pencil:
wavin:plughw:CARD=CODEC,DEV=1

!!!! Since LMS needs to access the sound card, you need to add the squeezebox user to the audio group: !!!!

sudo usermod -G audio squeezeboxserver

!!!! To stream in MP3 format, you also need to install LAME: !!!!
sudo apt-get install -y lame

Greetings
Maurits

OP
M

MCH

Major Contributor
What works for me is the following Xtra steps!

check if the DAC+ ADC is connected correctly:
IN MY CASE THIS IS THE Behringer UFO 202
$ arecord -l
=**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 1: CODEC [USB Audio CODEC], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
=fill in at LMS Favorites pencil:
wavin:plughw:CARD=CODEC,DEV=1

!!!! Since LMS needs to access the sound card, you need to add the squeezebox user to the audio group: !!!!

sudo usermod -G audio squeezeboxserver

!!!! To stream in MP3 format, you also need to install LAME: !!!!
sudo apt-get install -y lame

Greetings
Maurits
Thanks for the additional info Maurits!

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello @MarcosCh and friends,

For your reference, I posted today on my project thread;
- Revival of analog LP player (MC cartridge) in my DSP multichannel multi-driver multi-amplifier fully active stereo system for real time on-the-fly vinyl LP listening (and digital recording, if needed): #688

As I responded in my post here, there is no audible delay with vinyl LP play; it is really real time, on-the-fly, in my present setup.
This can be clearly confirmed when I look and hear the arm (cartridge) up and down in rather low sound volume.

Last edited:

Toni Mas

I have also been using the wavein for steaming my phono source around the house. But i find the latency involved a bit annoying... Also I would need to find a remote control to start my turntable from any room...
So that i finally prefer to avoid using this lms input and only listen to my vinyls in my dedicated setup.

oceansize

Forum Donor
Where there's a will, there';s a way. :)

0a4fd2e7e92c3cb4e34f1956c93da475--aga.jpg

OP
M

MCH

Major Contributor
I still have a few of those double albums with side A and D on record 1 and B and C on 2!!

Top Bottom