• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to integrate subwoofer with active stereo speaker.

Amari

Hello there,
I am new here, just registered because you have a lot of reviews that helped me.

I want to change something on my current system, but I am unsure on how to do it properly.
In my current setup I have two active speakers and a subwoofer witch is active too. I used to use them on
an RME Fireface which has multiple outputs and connected the sub as 3rd channel. I want to sell the Fireface
and replace it with something cheaper and something that can run without computer or maybe a pi with volumino and airplay or what ever.
I've already been thinking about a Sonos system instead, which would allow me to use it wireless and more easily from multiple devices. But on the other
hand, my system sounds nice. It would be stupid to get rid of it. So I am looking for a simple stereo DAC solution + a way to integrate the sub. X-Over or at least HighPass for the stereo pair would be nice. The sub has it's own low pass and low cut filter, so it would be enough if it gets the same signal as the stereo pair.
Was also thinking about minidsp to do the x-over, but not sure about that device either.

Sorry for the gibberish. In short, what would be the smartest way to be able to playback from multiple devices wirelessly and also
have low latency input for my pc when watching TV (don't mind using pc via usb or toslink). Volume control via software from the playing devices would be enough. But it should be safe for the
speakers. They, or at least my heart and ears, don't like it when they play at 100% because of some error.

Best Regards

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What speakers and what sub. Some subs have stereo line level ins/outs with a built in HPF.

rwortman

Forum Donor
Not sure. The Parasound P6 is a preamp/DAC with lots of inputs both analog and digital and it has built in crossovers. It isn't a streamer. Maybe someone makes a streamer/preamp in one box with crossovers built in. Looks like an internet search expedition. Maybe someone else in here knows of a cheap Chinese solution as those manufacturers get a lot of attention here.

OP
Amari

Amari

Thanks,
the Parasound looks nice, could have a smaller footprint, but functionality wise it seems to be close to what I am looking for.

How would you go about the sub when I wanted to connect it to something like the sonos connect?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
The A7x has a low shelf filter which may be enough to serve as a high pass for them as mains. You could also set the volume on the Sub a bit high and bring it down with EQ using REW, Rephase and the convolver in Foobar (or it's equivalent in another player). Do some measurements and listening before throwing money at the problem with new hardware.

rwortman

Forum Donor
Thanks,
the Parasound looks nice, could have a smaller footprint, but functionality wise it seems to be close to what I am looking for.

How would you go about the sub when I wanted to connect it to something like the sonos connect?

You would connect the Sonos Connect to the preamp and connect the sub to the preamp sub output.

StevenEleven

Forum Donor

rwortman

Forum Donor
Maybe this?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...yamaha-wxa-50-streaming-amp.7964/#post-193457

If @Amir “recommends” something like this I assume it is way more than good enough in terms of pure audio performance.

There are some negative reviews on Amazon, though. I’d read through those and see how relevant the downsides are to your use cases.
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Audio...d=1566759144&s=gateway&sr=8-9#customerReviews

The OP wanted crossover functions the Yamaha lacks.

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
???

In my current setup I have two active speakers and a subwoofer witch is active So I am looking for a simple stereo DAC solution + a way to integrate the sub. X-Over or at least HighPass for the stereo pair would be nice. The sub has it's own low pass and low cut filter, so it would be enough if it gets the same signal as the stereo pair.
Best Regards

OP
Amari

Amari

Maybe this?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...yamaha-wxa-50-streaming-amp.7964/#post-193457

If @Amir “recommends” something like this I assume it is way more than good enough in terms of pure audio performance.

There are some negative reviews on Amazon, though. I’d read through those and see how relevant the downsides are to your use cases.
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Audio...d=1566759144&s=gateway&sr=8-9#customerReviews

Interesting device. It has an analog sub out, but not sure if it is full range signal or filtered.
The bad reviews talk bad about the wireless performance. Volume knob seems to be out of cheap plastic, rest of it seems to work, according to amazon ratings.

OP
Amari

Amari

You would connect the Sonos Connect to the preamp and connect the sub to the preamp sub output.

Yes, if I also bought something like the Parasound P6, this would be perfect. Unfortunately I haven't found any used devices yet. I was looking on ebay, but just vintage devices from Parasound.

rwortman

Forum Donor
“X-overor at least high pass for the stereo pair would be nice”. I read the manual for the Yamaha. If it has those functions, I mieesedit.

OP
Amari

Amari

I would never need the features from LiveDirac. The SHD would be fantastic, but it's to expensive for me and the DSP Features I'd need are very simple.

“X-overor at least high pass for the stereo pair would be nice”. I read the manual for the Yamaha. If it has those functions, I mieesedit.

I am afraid your right. It would be super sad, if Yamah didn't take the last step and implemented such simple feature in software.

Willem

Major Contributor
All you need is a dac/preamp/streamer with line level output. Use a Y cable to feed both the speakers and the sub. Apparently the speakers already have some high pass filter so you could use that.
As for Dac etc, you have many options. The cheapest one would be a Chromecast Audio with a separate analogue volume control for convenience, but a Sonos Connect will also do the job, or an RME ADI 2, to mention the other end of the scale.

OP
Amari

Amari

The Adam speakers only have high and low shelf filters. Low shelf is < 300 Hz +- 6 dB. This is not usable without messing up everything.
Currently, I cut the mains at 70 Hz, 24dB/oct.

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
I would never need the features from LiveDirac. The SHD would be fantastic, but it's to expensive for me and the DSP Features I'd need are very simple.

I am afraid your right. It would be super sad, if Yamah didn't take the last step and implemented such simple feature in software.

Good news and bad news: I read through a few reviews of the WXC-50 and WXA-50 (all favorable BTW) and finally found one that got into the weeds enough to say that the analog sub output was full range but you would have to set the crossover settings from the sub.

The two models are close cousins—one comes with a 70w amp and one does not, it just has a preamp with no built-in amp.

It appears the app does give you separate volume control over the sub but of course that is not as helpful as a crossover control. You also get additional tone controls through the app.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
The Adam speakers only have high and low shelf filters. Low shelf is < 300 Hz +- 6 dB. This is not usable without messing up everything.
Currently, I cut the mains at 70 Hz, 24dB/oct.

Perhaps you need something like an Adam Sub 10. I believe it has a high pass built in and is designed to sound good with the a7x speakers.

Top Bottom