• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to improve my PC/Headphone Audio experience?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would have - but the convolution method already does it:
View attachment 169933

convolution does not do that by default, but whoever designed these filters made it so that all of them reduce output and none of them boosts it (generally good thing).

to have a fair comparison between 'on' and 'off' you have to use the pre-amp function to remove 10 dB out of the filter-less state or settings. your brain will always appreciate the louder output and perhaps that's why you like the unequalized sound.

OP
Solano

Solano

convolution does not do that by default, but whoever designed these filters made it so that all of them reduce output and none of them boosts it (generally good thing).

to have a fair comparison between 'on' and 'off' you have to use the pre-amp function to remove 10 dB out of the filter-less state or settings. your brain will always appreciate the louder output and perhaps that's why you like the unequalized sound.
Thanks for the tip.
I love the sound with convolution filter enabled.
Maybe you misread somewhere somehow - i dont like unequalized sound on my setup :)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the tip.
I love the sound with convolution filter enabled.
Maybe you misread somewhere somehow - i dont like unequalized sound on my setup :)

Understood :)

It's just that you said that the quality of the highs is diminished, that's a very fair conclusion to reach if you suddenly removed the highs you know ;).

zermak

Is this "safe" to put on top on EqAPO? I read about it and wasnt sure if I should "risk" my current working setup - since I got APO only working with the "experimental install setting"
I would give it a try anyway. You will not risk anything. HeSuVi creates its own text file (with lots of stuff in it and well you can learn some tricks just opening/reading it) to be loaded in EqualizerAPO. If you have issuses just disable that text file and you're back with your equalization/filters (note: if you are gonna use all HeSuVi options, like headphone equalization and so on, then just disable your files/equalizations and simply use HeSuVi. I personally use HeSuVi onlye for the virtual surround/filters that it provides; and I probably could load them directly on EqaulizerAPO but don't wanna dig too much ahah).

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Schiit has some devices that could work for you , if you had not bought anything yet.
The Fulla DAC/AMP for gaming, they have another more expensive, you can use your spdif from PC ,and for EQ you could use the:
loki mini,
Of course you could use som other hadphone amps like the fro the jds labs brand, but that loki mini might offer the EQ you are after.
There are many variants, you use spotify anyway for music that for the moment is not high res anyway your games will have higher quality sound that spotify.

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Apologies for the slight hi-jack, but maybe you guys can help me here, rather than start a new thread. I'm new to EQ, but embraced it big time, invested in Roon primarily for the DSP feature. I've been using Jaakko Pasanens data for setting up the phones for which he has a pre-generated EQ curve, and mostly using the convoluted filter apart from the HD560S which sounds better using the 10 band PEQ. The problme occurs when there isn't a curve for your model of phones, so I have had a go at making my own using this guide:

I found a reasonable (as in legible) FR plot for my particular phones (Yamaha HPH-MT5) and ran the first part. I noticed that there was not a huge number of data points generated, tens, not hundreds as in the example given. I'm making a big assumption at this stage that the FR plot is a) sufficiently accurate and b) raw
We ran the Python scripts (all of the plugins were out of date, so had to go find latest release / let the search find the latest version) and eventually got it to work, so we got 10 PEQ points, but only one .wav file at 44.1K, no second 48k file, so limited use for the convoluted filter.

So, the question is why only one .wav file, where in the script do I need to invoke that? Disclosure, I am no at all familiar with Python, so my son was running it using remote access, but he's not an audio fool, so doesn't necessarily recognise the output etc.

Top Bottom