• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to improve my PC/Headphone Audio experience?

Solano

Hi community,

I would like to enhance my audio experience.

My current setup
Windows 10 PC (no soundcard)
Beyerdynamic custom one pro

Goal
I would like to have a (Hardware) solution to enhance my Audio. Being able to equalize would be great.

Tried a few software equalizer solutions which were not satisfying and came with a cost on audio quality ironically. I had more bass but sacrificed big time on the rest of the spectrum.

I like the entertaining listening with the custom one, feel the bass. Would like to tune that with an EQ further more.

Use Cases
Spotify
Gaming

Missing Knowledge
Since my Audio Source is my PC, Windows 10 / Mainboard, is there even any way to enhance the quality with a DAC for example?
If a DAC is what I need - are there ones with a good EQ build in? Or better buy two seperate Items?

Budget & Location
Around 250€ / 280$ - living in Germany

Taking your time to help me as a beginner is so much appreciated!

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There aren't very many desktop DACs with EQ built in. Given your budget there are a couple decent options for adding some hardware EQ.

Given your budget the only thing I can think of at the moment for adding some hardware EQ is the Quadelix 5K. It's primarily marketed as a bluetooth receiver, but you can hook it up to a computer as a straight USB DAC as well. It includes a 10 band parametric EQ, but at the moment you need to use their phone app to change most of the settings. They started on a Chrome app to control it and are working on adding all the features of the phone app.

I was also going to recommend an MiniDSP NanoDigi and a DAC/amp combo like the Topping DX3 Pro+ but MiniDSP just freaking discontinued the NanoDigi, so there goes that plan...

Last edited:
OP
Solano

Solano

There aren't very many desktop DACs with EQ built in. Given your budget there are a couple decent options for adding some hardware EQ.

Given your budget the only thing I can think of at the moment for adding some hardware EQ is the Quadelix 5K. It's primarily marketed as a bluetooth receiver, but you can hook it up to a computer as a straight USB DAC as well. It includes a 10 band parametric EQ, but at the moment you need to use their phone app to change most of the settings. They started on a Chrome app to control it and are working on adding all the features of the phone app.

I was also going to recommend an MiniDSP NanoDigi and a DAC/amp combo like the Topping DX3 Pro+ but MiniDSP just freaking discontinued the NanoDigi, so there goes that plan...
Thank you for those insights!
Let's keep the budget aside for a moment - what comes into your mind then?

Last edited:

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A iBasso DC-03 or DC-05 ($70) should offer audio quality improvement.
A Schiit Fulla 4 ($109) is what I would look into, for use with the 16-Ohm Beyerdynamic COP.
The Beyer COP being only 16-Ohm is very easy to drive, can't see a 250 (Euro) headphone amplifier offering any real advantages.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

A genuine question that sprang to mind reading this (the recommendation is ,of course, sound). Is the Qudelix not also a software EQ solution?

If you simply badge all boxes after the PC as hardware solutions, then yes it is a hardware solution. But surely, in the context of the OP dislike of software EQ solutions, how is the Qudelix different? Its using software to process the digital input before the actual D to A conversion. How is that any different to EAPO on a PC doing the DSP before transmission over the wire to the DAC in digital form?

twsecrest

Solano, you are better off using a software program, like Foobar2000, for EQing, then using a hardware EQ.

OP
Solano

Solano

Solano, you are better off using a software program, like Foobar2000, for EQing, then using a hardware EQ.
Can I route my audio of spotify and games route somehow through Foobar2000? I thought that is a potent Media Player for local files

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A genuine question that sprang to mind reading this (the recommendation is ,of course, sound). Is the Qudelix not also a software EQ solution?

If you simply badge all boxes after the PC as hardware solutions, then yes it is a hardware solution. But surely, in the context of the OP dislike of software EQ solutions, how is the Qudelix different? Its using software to process the digital input before the actual D to A conversion. How is that any different to EAPO on a PC doing the DSP before transmission over the wire to the DAC in digital form?

Depending on your perspective, all DSP is "software" as someone wrote code to make it do what it does.

The advantages of putting it in a separate box from a multi-purpose PC are generally lower latency and better stability.

There's also more consistency in final sound across source programs when each one doesn't have a whole different DSP chain depnding on what the source program supports natively and/or what DSP chain you can shoehorn the output through. That's basically why I moved to only using the DSP in my ADI-2 DAC. I run my Nintendo Switch and two different PCs through it and it keeps everything sounding nice and consistent.

Foobar only plays back files. His sources are games and Spotify. :facepalm:

Even if he went with software EQ, he'd need a system wide option like EQ APO, but that also has it's own issues.

Can I route my audio of spotify and games route somehow through Foobar2000? I thought that is a potent Media Player for local files

Nope see above. He didn't read your whole post.

There are various OS level EQ options but the don't work very well for gaming due to latency issues.

twsecrest

I was using the foobar2000 as an example, for software EQ. Not that you have to use it.
Can you run your Spotify audio thru Foobar2000, have no idea, but I would think no (but just guessing).
Spotify does offer EQ for iOS or Android, but not Windows PC.
There is a program called Equalify.me, check it out, seems to add an EQ function to Spotify.

OP
Solano

Solano

Should I ditch the 3.5mm jack at the mainboard completely and get the sound via USB > DAC > Headphone
or what it the "best" pathway for my gaming / spotify data?

OP
Solano

Solano

There is a program called Equalify.me, check it out, seems to add an EQ function to Spotify.
Jeah i saw that! It is just only half of the solution i am looking for.

And to have no latency is key for gaming. I had that problem with voicemeeter

zermak

Should I ditch the 3.5mm jack at the mainboard completely and get the sound via USB > DAC > Headphone
There are a few nice options for your budget but if the quality/power of your motherboard on-board DAC/Heahphone amp are good enough for you then I would keep using it.
Jeah i saw that! It is just only half of the solution i am looking for.

And to have no latency is key for gaming. I had that problem with voicemeeter
About Spotify, it uses Direct Sound (DS, or probably WASAPI shared now) and so EqualizerAPO will work without any issues and you really have to load it a lot to have serious latency issues and in a fast pace gaming the monitor's input lag/pixels rise/fall times are your enemy, not the audio latency :) (just to give you an example I have 0ms latency with a standard 48000Hz FIR and a few low/high pass filters and with a more intensive use, like virtual processind/DSP, I have less than 6ms latency; the EqualizerAPO GUI will tell the latency itself).

So my suggestion is to give EqualizerAPO a try to see how it works for you. Maybe take a look at oratory1990/crinacle suggestions to equalize your headphones to the Harman target (if you like this curve) and see and listen to how it goes and sound :) (you can also look up onm github the database AutoEQ, a quick search on internet will find you the links of any of the mentioned stuff).

Maybe if your on-board DAC/AMP has a weak output (1Vrms at 0dBFS) then after EQ and negative gain you will find not enough for your listening leves and maybe you'll need an externa headphone amp.

PS: USB audio adds latency too and how much it adds depends on the implementation but there are few, if none, tests around but I read a few in past but never saved the links but again the problem for a "pro" gamer it's the monitor latency (as for pixel fall/rise) and input lag.

twsecrest

An external USB DAC (DAC/headphone amplifiers) bypasses sound card features.
But I would go USB, over on-board audio.
A external USB sound card would provide headphone surround sound, a USB DAC is just stereo (2.0) audio.

Last edited:
OP
Solano

Solano

So my suggestion is to give EqualizerAPO a try to see how it works for you. Maybe take a look at oratory1990/crinacle suggestions to equalize your headphones to the Harman target (if you like this curve) and see and listen to how it goes and sound :) (you can also look up onm github the database AutoEQ, a quick search on internet will find you the links of any of the mentioned stuff).
This time the Equalizer APO software worked and really hooked into my audio device. I tried the Database and got the convolution wav for my headphone.

I can't describe in words how much better my sound is now. It's day and night and the audible quality gap between different songs is even wider. Thank you from the bottom of my heart @zermak for your suggestion - this is exactly what i was after.

I want to thank all of you for your valuable suggestions. I really appreciate you for that.

<3

My goal is achieved - by software.
For everyone who is in my situation - loving good sound for music - try this. You won't regret it.

bravomail

I would buy Topping EX5 DAC/Amp and learn/install Equalizer APO program.

zermak

This time the Equalizer APO software worked and really hooked into my audio device. I tried the Database and got the convolution wav for my headphone.

I can't describe in words how much better my sound is now. It's day and night and the audible quality gap between different songs is even wider. Thank you from the bottom of my heart @zermak for your suggestion - this is exactly what i was after.

I want to thank all of you for your valuable suggestions. I really appreciate you for that.

<3

My goal is achieved - by software.
For everyone who is in my situation - loving good sound for music - try this. You won't regret it.
You are welcome. I am just a happy user :) Next step is tying some surround mixing/virtualization through HeSuVi while watching movies/playing games with headphones :p

OP
Solano

Solano

You are welcome. I am just a happy user :) Next step is tying some surround mixing/virtualization through HeSuVi while watching movies/playing games with headphones :p
Is this "safe" to put on top on EqAPO? I read about it and wasnt sure if I should "risk" my current working setup - since I got APO only working with the "experimental install setting"

OP
Solano

Solano

@Solano when you used EQ, did you lower the overall gain to prevent clipping?
I would have - but the convolution method already does it:
1638548785517.png

Top Bottom