• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to get rid of compression regarding highly compressed recordings

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes delete this kind of music is a way to do it.:facepalm:

I like Adel an Amy Winehouse but their music is mostly highly compressed to let it sound good for a car stereo probably.
So i want to get ride of the compression in the recording. Their is a guy by the name of BrickwallHater and he claims that he was capable to get rid of the compression as an example Amy Winehouse - Rehab. Does anybody know how he did it?

I have this remastered BrickwallHater recording and it sound way better here under some attached files for comparrison.

Amy Winehouse - Rehab Original (compressed) DR5 -0.69 dB -6.87 dB 3:35 01-Rehab
Amy Winhouse - Rehab BrickwallHater remaster DR11 -0.92 dB -13.36 dB 3:35 01-Rehab

Original compressed
http://www.mediafire.com/file/69sdmptev8sha58/rehab_compressed_%2B_Gain.flac/file
BrickwallHater Remaster
http://www.mediafire.com/file/xndv9jwgugiigkb/rehab_BrickwallHater_Remaster_%2B_Gain.flac/file

Picture of the Rehab wave forms. Gain is used for above files to get same volume level.
ejRdTfL.png

i am curious how he did it. The most simple way he got the master tapes. Or he geatherd the uncompressed tracks an put them together. An maby he is a genius an found a way to decompress the tracks.

Also my Audacity project where i get ride of background noise not the compression unfortunly . But because the background noise is extracted voices an instruments are more clear the sound is les tiring for my ears IMHO. A nice way to clear up Vinyl background noise.

Noise reduction
http://www.mediafire.com/file/uqurub9iwf2aqma/Noise_reduction_Send_My_Love_%28To_Your_New_Lover%29.flac/file
Original
http://www.mediafire.com/file/pyli4ir0dk1a55b/original_Send_My_Love_%28To_Your_New_Lover%29.flac/file

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know. I used to have a DBX dynamic range expander. Would increase dynamic range by 50 %. But it was never really satisfactory for me. Compressed multi track records have dozens of tracks with different attack and release setting on each. Some compress different frequencies differently. All pretty hard to undo properly. Doesn't mean you might not make some better.

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know. I used to have a DBX dynamic range expander. Would increase dynamic range by 50 %. But it was never really satisfactory for me. Compressed multi track records have dozens of tracks with different attack and release setting on each. Some compress different frequencies differently. All pretty hard to undo properly. Doesn't mean you might not make some better.
In audacity I was able to get rid of the background Noise which made it Sounds much better. These are the Samples that I want to upload for comparison.

Oukkidoukki

There is no way to get rid of compression afterwards. Its there. There is hope though. When dacs get better, people start to prefer quieter=more dynamic stuff because it sounds better. Good dac reveals compression harshness. I have seen this in my action..when i wanna do show of to my friends...quiter stuf goes in cause its more wow....you just put more volume from the dac and still got dynamics....

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I updated my original opening messages above with files now.

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that the real problem is the sort of speakers which are used for most listening these days. I know very few people who have a hi-fi system but nearly every one I know has either a soundbar or BT speaker that they use to connect to a smart device. If you want those sort of speakers to go to any sort of volume without audible distortion then I think compression is important. I also think that because overly compressed mush has been the norm for so long most people probably don't know any different and are happy with the current state of mastering.

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok i found out how BrickwallHater did his remastering Decomprssion. He is using Perfect Declipper which we wrote a about on this site https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/perfect-declipper.2209/
Quiet impressive this peace of software. I'am seriouse concidering now to buy it so i don't have to wait till record compagnies of Winehouse or Adel are remastering their stuff properly. An than to know that it is a Dutch guy/developer Hans van Zutphen living 10 miles from me :facepalm:

Last edited:
OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that the real problem is the sort of speakers which are used for most listening these days. I know very few people who have a hi-fi system but nearly every one I know has either a soundbar or BT speaker that they use to connect to a smart device. If you want those sort of speakers to go to any sort of volume without audible distortion then I think compression is important. I also think that because overly compressed mush has been the norm for so long most people probably don't know any different and are happy with the current state of mastering.
Also the problem nowedays with high resolution DAC's, Roomcorrection inteligent amplifiers with clever ciruits like NAD which is looking for ultra fast Current adjustments the bad recordings are becoming more brutal now compard to years ago.

Rock Rabbit

Or use Izotope Rx, gain -6 dB then “declip” (extreme analog clipping option), details in Archimago’s blog.
For very bad compressed vocal tracks (Beth Hart for example) try to eq (attenuate) only the vocal range (and armonics) by - 6 dB first, you can observe better dynamic range immediately and try the declip process.
In Audacity, “effect” “amplify” -6 dB and then oversample to 352.8 to try to recover inter sample clipping (Benchmark style)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The declippers only declip and do not really un-compres.
Yes, you get nicer looking plots this way and better DR ratings.
Sound quality may improve somewhat (due to the clipping) but the damage that is done can't really be undone.

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The declippers only declip and do not really un-compres.
Yes, you get nicer looking plots this way and better DR ratings.
Sound quality may improve somewhat (due to the clipping) but the damage that is done can't really be undone.

I use now Audacity Clipfix. Setting are Reduce amplitude... -6db an Thereshold of clipping 85%. Result are bettter than the orignal source depending how deeply clipped the source was. Again depending of how deeply clipped the source was i got Dr ratings that are sometimes 50% better so Dr 8 got to 12 (Adele for instance 21 album try it). But te biggest gain is not so the palcement or sudenly the Stereo image is >50% better those changes ar there but not spectaculair. The biggest gain is that the listning fatigue is almost gone you gonne listen with more pleasure to the music. An in that light i don't care that the clipfix setting is changing the orignal source. I lose some gain but i can compenstate that more or less with the replaygain add-on in Foobar2000. Enclosed the original an declipped results of Adel 21 would appreciate if somebody would do the same Audacity Clipfix action an compare.

Attachments

• original 21 Dr.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 145
  • Clipfix Audacity Adel 21 foo_dr.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Or use Izotope Rx, gain -6 dB then “declip” (extreme analog clipping option), details in Archimago’s blog.
For very bad compressed vocal tracks (Beth Hart for example) try to eq (attenuate) only the vocal range (and armonics) by - 6 dB first, you can observe better dynamic range immediately and try the declip process.
In Audacity, “effect” “amplify” -6 dB and then oversample to 352.8 to try to recover inter sample clipping (Benchmark style)
Some weeks ago i got the Izotope rx6 will give it a try (ha ha if i can find the time) with your settings an compare it with Audacity Clipfix.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no way to get rid of compression afterwards. Its there. There is hope though. When dacs get better, people start to prefer quieter=more dynamic stuff because it sounds better. Good dac reveals compression harshness. I have seen this in my action..when i wanna do show of to my friends...quiter stuf goes in cause its more wow....you just put more volume from the dac and still got dynamics....
For 99% of music listeners listening in their car or on the bus with ear buds or t home with a small low power speaker compressed not only sounds better but is needed.
Not many people have a system which can do justice to the dynamic range of real music so we are in a tiny minority and are unlikely to be catered for, ever, IMO, by mainstream music producers.

Rock Rabbit

Some weeks ago i got the Izotope rx6 will give it a try (ha ha if i can find the time) with your settings an compare it with Audacity Clipfix.
With “Rolling in the deep” in Izotope Rx, use Gain -8 dB, Declip “extreme analog clipping” and use suggested threshold for expansion... to get DR11 (without using soft clipping)

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Added above bv the clipfixaudacity results Adel 21 for comparison

Top Bottom