• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to Fix ESS Hump on SGD1 and LA-QXD1

urfaust

Impressive, almost a 20db improvement at -30 level. Personally that's the kind of level i use daily with my power speakers through the dac so that hump always bothers me with ess dacs.

Any chance the Songocz could benefit from this fix with an update?

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Any chance the Songocz could benefit from this fix with an update?
Ben is updating the design before new shipments are sent. The change requires using different components so it is not something that you can fix with a software/firmware update.

bequietjk

Whether I am on the toilet,
In the middle of talking with my boss at work,
Doing pullups,
Even if I am asleep!

The moment Ben gives the go ahead and that black SGD1 is available, you can be sure that I'll be dropping whatever it is I am doing and swiftly place my order!

H

Hifihedgehog

for those wondering, amazon is showing new stock of the sgd1 on feb 5. my guess is that these units will incorporate the fix.
Whether I am on the toilet,
In the middle of talking with my boss at work,
Doing pullups,
Even if I am asleep!

The moment Ben gives the go ahead and that black SGD1 is available, you can be sure that I'll be dropping whatever it is I am doing and swiftly place my order!
The new stock in February does incorporate the fix, correct? I just ordered at 1AM this morning, I just saw the charge go through, and I am hoping I made the right decision.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
It's very reaffirming that solid engineering yielded a solution. When I went to MIT engineering was not considered science, which always makes me smile.

exaudio

Forum Donor
Hi @Ben1987 , Can you tell if my SONCOZ SGD1 has the fix for the ESS IMD hump? I received it last Tuesday December 31st.

Here's the inside:

suncoz_sgd1_5347C0274F833EF9_1.0.0.6.jpeg

The board is marked with:
SGD1 V22
2019 10
SG10CTZIIE

I'm guessing the firmware version is 1.0.0.6 based on the payload of the web service call it makes to check for firmware updates.

OP
Ben1987

Ben1987

Audio Company
The new stock in February does incorporate the fix, correct? I just ordered at 1AM this morning, I just saw the charge go through, and I am hoping I made the right decision.
In fact, we have recalled all the machines with the hump problem. What you can buy now is a fixed machine. More supplies will be available at the end of February .

OP
Ben1987

Ben1987

Audio Company
Hi @Ben1987 , Can you tell if my SONCOZ SGD1 has the fix for the ESS IMD hump? I received it last Tuesday December 31st.

Here's the inside:

View attachment 44851

SGD1 V22
2019 10
SG10CTZIIE

I'm guessing the firmware version is 1.0.0.6 based on the payload of the web service call it makes to check for firmware updates.
Yes, It is the latest version of the fix.The best way to tell is to look at the capacitance, 2200 nF/220nF. Enjoy.
No Hump caps.jpg

Attachments

• No Hump caps.jpg
    No Hump caps.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 197

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Here's the inside:

View attachment 44851

SGD1 V22
2019 10
SG10CTZIIE

As Ben already mentioned it is easiest to see on the caps but even looking at your picture one can see the MELF resistors are all 390 Ohm and there are no 2.7k resistors seen so even when not looking at the caps you can see this is a fixed PCB.

H

Hifihedgehog

In fact, we have recalled all the machines with the hump problem. What you can buy now is a fixed machine. More supplies will be available at the end of February .
Yes, It is the latest version of the fix.
That's fantastic news! Hey Ben! What is the quickest way to get a SGD1 at this point? I ordered on Amazon and it says it won't be available until the end of February? I'd gladly pay for DHL and some special fees to get it sooner.

Zoide

What will be the best way to get your DACs in Europe? Thanks

Top Bottom