• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to fine tune my kef r3?

• Thread starter Deleted member 51459
  • Start date

usersky

Forum Donor
So were these R3s tuned up in the end? Somehow I completely lost the track of this thread.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

So were these R3s tuned up in the end? Somehow I completely lost the track of this thread.
not yet amp is not in stock.... i can drive them with my older jvc but its not enough... not sure how long they will ask me to wait no eta..

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This thread just makes my head hurt. Getting good sound just does not have to be so hard. Or expensive. A balanced system approach and one that's right for the current living environment (and non-crazy-making for any neighbors) is the most important thing to keep in mind. You bought the speakers and they have some specific power needs. Feed them properly. There are plenty of choices that don't need to drain your finances.

As to sound: The still photo is a little unclear, but I'm not seeing a cross-tie piece between the woofer and mid/tweet jacks. Is it possible that that fell out? Read your manual but most of the bi-ampable speakers I know of have a cross tie or jumper that needs to be in place when only using one amp connection... Ah, in the video, it looks like you are bi-wiring the speaker, so that should be OK with no cross-tie.
This speaker uses a rotary switch to change between modes depending how you're attaching speaker wire, rather than straps. First I'd seen like that....

Galliardist

Major Contributor
It will probably be nad c399, but no idea when it will be back in stock if it doesnt arrive soon i must buy nad m33 but it cost a lot more...
Well done. A decision and you've got to the reasons for it as well.

I guess the next stage for you then is to look hard at what you were asking about - fine tuning. Let's hope the C399 is available to you sooner rather than later!

I may have missed things here, but:
How wide is the desk you are putting the R3s on?
Where do you intend to listen from?

If you are not at your desk, say, but on the other side of a long room, and your desk is not wide, you may be leaving yourself open to disappointment.

Also, one of your pictures showed a speaker in front of an uncovered window or something similar. That may not work brilliantly.

I can't really comment that much myself on a good desktop setup (I use headphones) but if your speakers aren't set up well and/or are not much further apart than the edges of the Muso you'll need help to get a good result.

And this of course is far more important than "which amp" in practice...

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Well done. A decision and you've got to the reasons for it as well.

I guess the next stage for you then is to look hard at what you were asking about - fine tuning. Let's hope the C399 is available to you sooner rather than later!

I may have missed things here, but:
How wide is the desk you are putting the R3s on?
Where do you intend to listen from?

If you are not at your desk, say, but on the other side of a long room, and your desk is not wide, you may be leaving yourself open to disappointment.

Also, one of your pictures showed a speaker in front of an uncovered window or something similar. That may not work brilliantly.

I can't really comment that much myself on a good desktop setup (I use headphones) but if your speakers aren't set up well and/or are not much further apart than the edges of the Muso you'll need help to get a good result.

And this of course is far more important than "which amp" in practice...
Hi my desk is around 2 meter wide
i will listen in front of my desk of course , yes one of the speakers is close to door with window.
If i am not happy from speakers performance i will sale them.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Hi my desk is around 2 meter wide
i will listen in front of my desk of course , yes one of the speakers is close to door with window.
If i am not happy from speakers performance i will sale them.
OK, that's a really good start. My own big speakers aren't much further apart than yours can be. Could you put a curtain behind the desk and/or over the window? I know that sort of thing is difficult in rented spaces, and you may need the daylight more than a possibly small sound improvement. Plugging the rear ports as I described earlier may give a bigger improvement.

Luckily the amp has Dirac Live. That should help a lot with getting a proper desktop setup working.
You may just need to upgrade your amp to the full Dirac rather than just the supplied bass frequencies version, but keep that in reserve for now.

I remember you have a sub. If you have a problem with the window/door/corner (is it a corner that the one speaker is going into?) then you should absolutely, definitely use the sub to avoid even more problems at the bottom end. I can confirm from experience that that will help.

You'll need to do some work here to get the setup working well, so don't panic if it isn't good on day one - let's hope it is, though!

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

OK, that's a really good start. My own big speakers aren't much further apart than yours can be. Could you put a curtain behind the desk and/or over the window? I know that sort of thing is difficult in rented spaces, and you may need the daylight more than a possibly small sound improvement. Plugging the rear ports as I described earlier may give a bigger improvement.

You may just need to upgrade your amp to the full Dirac rather than just the supplied bass frequencies version, but keep that in reserve for now.

I remember you have a sub. If you have a problem with the window/door/corner (is it a corner that the one speaker is going into?) then you should absolutely, definitely use the sub to avoid even more problems at the bottom end. I can confirm from experience that that will help.

You'll need to do some work here to get the setup working well, so don't panic if it isn't good on day one - let's hope it is, though!
I can put foam into speakers but i cant install curtain sorry...
i dont need sub speakers are fine for me even without extra sub i already tried with my jvc i have neighboards around i dont want to disturb them , kef r3 bass is louder than naim muso .

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I can put foam into speakers but i cant install curtain sorry...
i dont need sub speakers are fine for me even without extra sub i already tried with my jvc i have neighboards around i dont want to disturb them , kef r3 bass is louder than naim muso .
I'm referring to controlling the bass output for best results here, not about shaking the room. If you shift the lowest frequencies away from a speaker in the corner to a sub in a better position, it may well improve the sound.

Boom is far more disturbing to the neighbours than controlled bass, even output at lower frequencies. I've been a neighbour to both, so can comment fairly on that.

I've lived in rented accommodation and currently live in a flat so I understand your answers, but you've missed my point completely!

Also - I had a look at used and new prices for NAD items here in Australia. They might relate to your case as well. M10s sell at around 50-60% of full retail price on ebay and the like (I didn't see an M33, that didn't surprise me). C368 and C388 I saw people asking nearer 40% and they may not have sold. Again, I didn't see a C399 though.

The used market doesn't seem to be responding to shop discounts though.

Based on that, I'd say the M33 will hold its value a little better than the C series amps. I'd suggest though that what I saw in your local stores, where they did mention pricing, was that the C388 was pretty heavily discounted and may as a result hold its value better - but only if your market is like ours. SImilarly, if you are getting a 10-20% discount on the M33, that might make quite a difference to resale value in percentage terms.

But, as I keep saying, with any of these amps you won't be selling anytime soon (unless of course you hit real financial distress for some reason).

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

I'm referring to controlling the bass output for best results here, not about shaking the room. If you shift the lowest frequencies away from a speaker in the corner to a sub in a better position, it may well improve the sound.

Boom is far more disturbing to the neighbours than controlled bass, even output at lower frequencies. I've been a neighbour to both, so can comment fairly on that.

I've lived in rented accommodation and currently live in a flat so I understand your answers, but you've missed my point completely!

Also - I had a look at used and new prices for NAD items here in Australia. They might relate to your case as well. M10s sell at around 50-60% of full retail price on ebay and the like (I didn't see an M33, that didn't surprise me). C368 and C388 I saw people asking nearer 40% and they may not have sold. Again, I didn't see a C399 though.

The used market doesn't seem to be responding to shop discounts though.

Based on that, I'd say the M33 will hold its value a little better than the C series amps. I'd suggest though that what I saw in your local stores, where they did mention pricing, was that the C388 was pretty heavily discounted and may as a result hold its value better - but only if your market is like ours. SImilarly, if you are getting a 10-20% discount on the M33, that might make quite a difference to resale value in percentage terms.

But, as I keep saying, with any of these amps you won't be selling anytime soon (unless of course you hit real financial distress for some reason).
Both c399 and m33 are newer models, not much for them in used worldwide market...

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Both c399 and m33 are newer models, not much for them in used worldwide market...
That is true of course. But you’ve asked repeatedly about resale value, so I’ve taken a look and given you the best answer I can from what related data I can see.

If you’re getting that there is not really a great answer to your question then that’s progress, I suppose.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

That is true of course. But you’ve asked repeatedly about resale value, so I’ve taken a look and given you the best answer I can from what related data I can see.

If you’re getting that there is not really a great answer to your question then that’s progress, I suppose.
Also dealership told me that they will plan to increase price not sure if thats true or not... i asked them will they have black friday sale or december sale or something since i have not yet managed to sold my naim muso 2 speaker box.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Also dealership told me that they will plan to increase price not sure if thats true or not
They would say that
i asked them will they have black friday sale or december sale or something
Probably not in their interest to tell you that when they want your sale now.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I only watched the video but didn’t read the whole thread. Looks like it has sub enabled on the display but I didn’t see where he’s using a sub.

Has this been addressed?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I only watched the video but didn’t read the whole thread. Looks like it has sub enabled on the display but I didn’t see where he’s using a sub.

Has this been addressed?
It has:

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It has:

Removed and disabled the sub itself but confirmed the setting on the JVC is sub disabled?

Top Bottom