• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to fine tune my kef r3?

• Thread starter Deleted member 51459
  • Start date
OP
D

Deleted member 51459

I am still stuck i need to upgrade kef 3.

here is my small demo with and without dirac on kef r3 and nad m33.
i think thats the best kef r3 can provide in terms of sound

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wait, is that cranked/maxxed out?

I wonder if your optical line from the PC is somehow very quiet. Can you try setting up the streaming on the NAD to try playing back something without the PC?

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Wait, is that cranked/maxxed out?

I wonder if your optical line from the PC is somehow very quiet. Can you try setting up the streaming on the NAD to try playing back something without the PC?
Hello, thats not maximum volume because people in the upper floor will start arriving and asking the police to remove me i an into rented place and here is midnight.
and i live in basemant but still people around me on top of me etcs...

but sound quality is terrible compared to my naim, muso 2 which i recently sold i tried many songs i have listend over naim muso 2..
same recording from digital etcs.. and even from my phone.

The only night and day difference is between naim muso 2 and kef r3 in favour of naim. you can turn up your volume in order to have sorry i record from my phone

wav3form

I am still stuck i need to upgrade kef 3.

I can’t hear anything in that video so I can’t comment on that. You don’t need new speakers, you have something else going on. That M33 has 380 watts at 4 ohms and would easily drive the R3. I think it’s possible the R3 you have may be defective but I really doubt that

Have you tried another set of speakers to rule out the amp?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I can’t hear anything in that video so I can’t comment on that. You don’t need new speakers, you have something else going on. That M33 has 380 watts at 4 ohms and would easily drive the R3. I think it’s possible the R3 you have may be defective but I really doubt that

Have you tried another set of speakers to rule out the amp?
The member you responded to is deleted and will not be able to answer and many of us think that it is good that way.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This was as painful a thread as I ever did see.
If I recall correctly, it didnt end here. New amps were acquired, new speakers sought. Satisfaction never achieved

Galliardist

Major Contributor
This was as painful a thread as I ever did see.
That whole business was a nightmare... I looked for him in some other forums to see if he ever sorted it out, it all went just as well as here!
Lolll what.. A Naim Muso night and day over R3’s? What did I just read
It's far easier to screw up setting up R3s than a Muso though.

You need to read all of his other threads...

deejaystu

That whole business was a nightmare... I looked for him in some other forums to see if he ever sorted it out, it all went just as well as here!

It's far easier to screw up setting up R3s than a Muso though.

You need to read all of his other threads...
I’m pretty sure I saw him going off on a Reddit sub as well as I was searching people’s experience with Bi-Amping the R3’s. This thread reeks of user error.

I’m currently running my R3’s on a Denon 3800 and love how they sound, but the upgrade bug hit me and now I’m curious if bi-amping will benefit me. Currently comparing OSD Nero 5 channel, Outlaw 5000x, and Emotiva BasX A5 (only because of it’s manageable physical footprint). You guys have any recommendations? Not looking to splurge on the amp, it’s temporary until I can bite the bullet and go for a Buckeye 6 Channel.

Edit: there’s also a guy in my area selling a Rotel RMB-1075 for $700.

Last edited:

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I’m pretty sure I saw him going off on a Reddit sub as well as I was searching people’s experience with Bi-Amping the R3’s. This thread reeks of user error.

I’m currently running my R3’s on a Denon 3800 and love how they sound, but the upgrade bug hit me and now I’m curious if bi-amping will benefit me. Currently comparing OSD Nero 5 channel, Outlaw 5000x, and Emotiva BasX A5 (only because of it’s manageable physical footprint). You guys have any recommendations? Not looking to splurge on the amp, it’s temporary until I can bite the bullet and go for a Buckeye 6 Channel.

Edit: there’s also a guy in my area selling a Rotel RMB-1075 for $700.
Personally I wouldn't bother.
Certainly not if it's only "temporary". You're apparently not fixing a problem either, since the sound is fine as it is. Unless the sound is going wrong when you turn the volume up, the amp is fine.

There are loads of better upgrades:
Subwoofers
Use the DSP in the amp to treat bass
Better graphical interface for digital music
If you use vinyl, the turntable may stand upgrading
The room(!)
Multichannel (if you don't have it yet)

Most of the time, the amp and DAC are the last items you should be looking to change, unless they are really bad or have failed.

deejaystu

Personally I wouldn't bother.
Certainly not if it's only "temporary". You're apparently not fixing a problem either, since the sound is fine as it is. Unless the sound is going wrong when you turn the volume up, the amp is fine.

There are loads of better upgrades:
Subwoofers
Use the DSP in the amp to treat bass
Better graphical interface for digital music
If you use vinyl, the turntable may stand upgrading
The room(!)
Multichannel (if you don't have it yet)

Most of the time, the amp and DAC are the last items you should be looking to change, unless they are really bad or have failed.
Agree with all of that, and the amp definitely is the last upgrade happening in my rig for the foreseeable future. Subs, all surrounds, and room all upgraded recently. Also happy with my Technic 1210 mk5’s that I use for records. The amp for the LCR is the only thing I haven’t explored, and Ive been on the fence. I dont really even listen at ref level so Im not sure if I’d benefit. I do know the R3’s are power hungry though, definitely not hearing them at their full potential with a 3800.

Last edited:
Top Bottom