• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to fine tune my kef r3?

• Thread starter Deleted member 51459
  • Start date

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
i dont have speakers stand and no other place to put speakers..

terminals are tight!
i personally inspected them several times i checked them for speakers and amps as well..

70RMS mean way way less not sure how much for my car 400w rms means less than 40w for example... not sure how its measured.

RMS is fake WATTAGE.
You must compare wattage at same spec....were the two ratings for full band (20hz-20khz)? at a reasonably low and equivalent THD? The wattage alone doesn't mean much without that info....

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Also, looks like you have a subwoofer enabled. If you don’t have one, disable it:

Also go though all the DSP settings, make sure the front speakers are set to large, and the rest are disabled.
Thanks sub is removed and disabled... it doesnt make any difference...
also changing front speakers too i am in stereo mode..

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You must compare wattage at same spec....were the two ratings for full band (20hz-20khz)? at a reasonably low and equivalent THD? The wattage alone doesn't mean much without that info....
This thing should actually do 70W in stereo mode full band with good enough distortion. If the thing is still functional, that should be plenty. I’ve ran R500’s with half of that and they went loud!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks sub is removed and disabled... it doesnt make any difference...
also changing front speakers too i am in stereo mode..
That leaves the att settings then (page 17).

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How much real wattage my receiver can make then at 8ohm since you provided data for 6ohm ? if it makes 40w at 6ohm it should be less in 8 ohm i guess? I verified links and knobs are pressed correctly... if knobs are not pressed in the right way Speaker doesnt sound at all or it sounds only bass i tried that as well.
I'm sorry. My clip was from a Yamaha AVR with a similar model number. You do, in fact, have 70W@8Ohm.

1663359054645.png

The KEF R3 is a 3Ohm speaker, and this may be part of the issue.

1663359114552.png

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

I'm sorry. My clip was from a Yamaha AVR with a similar model number. You do, in fact, have 70W@8Ohm.

View attachment 231322

The KEF R3 is a 3Ohm speaker, and this may be part of the issue.

View attachment 231323

So its still because of my crappy stereo receiver, i cant borrow other receiver but i plan to buy amplifier in the coming weeks, lets say 2-3 weeks depends where i got money /my salary as soon as i got salary i will buy 1 amplifier... because i need high end... i guess thats all this old home receiver can provide this is his limit...
cant handle these speakers properly..

https://audio-database.com/VICTOR/amp/rx-e100.html
here is what i found rca victor data base

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This thing should actually do 70W in stereo mode full band with good enough distortion. If the thing is still functional, that should be plenty. I’ve ran R500’s with half of that and they went loud!
I agree and when chatting with OP on pms told him to try that while he shops for a new amp (he has other threads on that). Could be it has not aged well, tho.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

SMSL A-300 is a great ''starting'' amplifier.
i need reference class
something which will last me years and its well made, not some junk or crap, i like nad but they are cheaply made, not quality enough too bad sony,jvc and pioneer and others doesnt make any more decent amplifiers for stereo for home users...

i can get nad master series m33 , or nad c399 or nad c298 or something else like moranz model 30 model 40n.. or something else...
so its confirmed at 100% thats my receiver which makes me trouble.

Can someone clarify for me ,
should i listen to
bass boost off treble 0, and bass 0 or i should increase these ?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
i need reference class
something which will last me years and its well made, not some junk or crap, i like nad but they are cheaply made, not quality enough too bad sony,jvc and pioneer and others doesnt make any more decent amplifiers for stereo for home users...

i can get nad master series m33 , or nad c399 or nad c298 or something else like moranz model 30 model 40n.. or something else...

Yeah it's just you have nothing working right now so you might just jump quickly to something and get ripped off.

The SMSL A-300 is a great ''transition'' amplifier.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Yeah it's just you have nothing working right now so you might just jump quickly to something and get ripped off.

The SMSL A-300 is a great ''transition'' amplifier.
Its chinese stuff which i cant buy in my country and i want to jump to the high/end reference class i will write it as company/accountant expense so it will not be rip off.
it will be deducated from the company taxes for the several future years.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
i need reference class

Can someone clarify for me ,
should i listen to
bass boost off treble 0, and bass 0 or i should increase these ?
Generally that would be best, to leave all off....if you did boost bass particularly it would cut into your amp power.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Generally that would be best, to leave all off....if you did boost bass particularly it would cut into your amp power.
Bass boost is off treble 00 and bass at 00 , should i leave it that way or ? Sound is much worse compared to my naim muso 2, which is quite a shame.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Bass boost is off treble 00 and bass at 00 , should i leave it that way or ? Sound is much worse compared to my naim muso 2, which is quite a shame.
Yes, leave all off or at 0 (assuming the dial is a +/- scale with 0 representing off)....

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

What does that mean? Except for “not crap”?
For the last 40 years i have bought 000 amplifier if i dont count my car...
i want something extremely high end its called lifetime amp...

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For the last 40 years i have bought 000 amplifier if i dont count my car...
How did you get the JVC then?
i want something extremely high end its called lifetime amp...
None of that answers the question. Very few amps will really last a lifetime. They all contain components that age over time, no matter the price. “Extremely high end” means exactly nothing..

Top Bottom