• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to experience 7.2.4 on Windows?

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
Sure.
Windows supports Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, so all you need is the source and the equipment, usually AVR, to enjoy it.
You need some software to play it with. Most software video players will bitstream it.

OP

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sure.
Windows supports Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, so all you need is the source and the equipment, usually AVR, to enjoy it.
You need some software to play it with. Most software video players will bitstream it.
How about this?

VoidX

Without an AVR, currently Cavern is the only way, and only for DD+ Atmos. It runs on Windows, with Wine on Linux, and can be manually built on Mac (I don't have one, so I can't do it, but the code is open and multiplatform).

alex-z

Of course. Just set your media player to bit-stream over HDMI, then your AV receiver will decode properly.

There is no way to properly decode Dolby TrueHD Atmos or DTS:X on a PC, has to be done with external hardware.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Without an AVR, currently Cavern is the only way, and only for DD+ Atmos. It runs on Windows, with Wine on Linux, and can be manually built on Mac (I don't have one, so I can't do it, but the code is open and multiplatform).

What happens when Cavern receives a TrueHD, etc, stream? No playback, or is there any sort of compatibility mode? I find most releases have a 5.1 compatibility track, but not all

OP

192kbps

Shows you an error that it's not supported.

All BluRays have a compatibility track by standard. It's simple 5.1 without objects though.
Hello, I would like to ask, is your software only available for 5.1.2? 7.1.2 or more channels not supported?

VoidX

Hello, I would like to ask, is your software only available for 5.1.2? 7.1.2 or more channels not supported?
Supports everything up to the official maximum of 9.1.6. There is an advanced option for custom channels, up to the cinema maximum of 64.

OP

192kbps

Supports everything up to the official maximum of 9.1.6. There is an advanced option for custom channels, up to the cinema maximum of 64.
But Windows only supports 8 channels?

goodkeys

Cavern looks amazing. Thank you for sharing your work @VoidX!

A very basic question: with Cavern, is it possible to upmix stereo sound to Atmos in realtime, like an AVR does? My goal would be to connect a Focusrite 18i20 to my pc, and add a Behringer ADA8200 through ADAT. The line outs of these two devices will feed a 7.1.4 setup of active speakers. Now, with Cavern, can I watch a video on youtube on my Windows pc, and have it play back in Atmos on my 7.1.4 setup?

Normally I would need an AVR with an upmixer to do that. If Cavern can upmix live that would be awesome and save me the money for a true 7.1.4 AVR.

VoidX

with Cavern, is it possible to upmix stereo sound to Atmos in realtime
If you really want to create 12 channels from 2, yes, it's possible, but it's really-really far from even a 5.1.

goodkeys

Great. It's the only task I would have needed an AVR for. Upmixing a stereo signal to Atmos 7.1.4. Currently I am upmixing to 5.1.2 with a Sony STR-DH790. Especially the Neural:X upmixer works well in my setup. Going to 7.1.4 now and hoping to get rid of the avr. Cavern looks great for that. But I will have to see how well the upmixing work in my setup.

VoidX

But I will have to see how well the upmixing work in my setup.
It could be a little hard to set up (Cavern Splitter), but it's just wiring stuff around in Equalizer APO, there's a sample file for 5.1.2.

goodkeys

@VoidX can you say something about the upmixing process in Cavern as compared to the upmixers in av receivers? Will it be comparable qualitywise, or can avrs upmixers do things that Cavern can't? I could get a good deal on a Denon x3700h, and I am contemplating whether I really need it or whether Cavern has all the functions that I need.

Top Bottom