• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to EQ my headphones.

Smokingpacman

Hey guys, so for the longest time ever, I was a firm believer that eq destroys music because I always found that whenever I tried to EQ my headphones they sounded really distorted. This was until I got my Sennheiser HD58x, Topping E30, and JDS Atom. With much better equipment, I found eq-ing to be much less destructive to music unless I was to crank the decibels really high/low. I recently found out about the MiniDSP EARS and I want to get one, but I'm not sure how I am going to EQ my headphones. I know about the HTRF and all that and also how to use a parametric equalizer, however, I need some advice.

1) Should I be buying hardware eq or should I stick with an eq plugin?
2) I am currently looking at either fetting Fab Filter Q3, it seems to be the best on the market and it works with MusicBee on ASIO which is awesome.
3) The only hardware alternative I know of atm is the MiniDSP 2x4 HD but the measurements posted here don't look very good at all, it is definitely going to be the weakest link out of my hardware.
4) I don't want a HUGE bulky equalizer that you'd have in an audio rack.

What do you think guys?

MrGoodbits

Forum Donor
One consideration is are you wanting to just EQ to “neutral” or do you want to be able tweak the response? If your end goal is neutral, which is what I did and have been happy with the results for several years now, you could try Sonarworks, they have a plug-in that comes with model-specific EQ curves based on their measurements. it might be a good/simple/easy way to start. You could always go the home measurement and EQ route later.

OP
S

Smokingpacman

Wow, Sonarworks is so expensive!! It's software based though right? I mainly wanted to know if software based eq's are better/worse than hardware based ones.

OP
S

Smokingpacman

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Software is going to be cheapest (free)/easiest/highest fidelity.

Are you running Windows? I use EqualizerAPO, which is a system-wide audio processor that has both its own inbuilt EQs and can host third-party VST EQs/effects. I like it because it works for all audio system-wide and disappears completely into the background once you've set it up.

As to the EQ curve itself, there are measurements of many popular headphones available here, along with recommended EQ filters to reach the Harman target curve.

Even if you don't want to use the Harman target, the measured responses of the headphones themselves are useful.

(FWIW, personally I find the Harman target to be very much in line with my perception of a neutral response in the midrange and treble, but perhaps slightly bass-heavy depending on the headphone/music. Anyway, I've always found it to be a good starting point - I usually apply it to begin with, and then apply an additional bass shelf to taste).

OP
S

Smokingpacman

OP
S

Smokingpacman

Software is going to be cheapest (free)/easiest/highest fidelity.

Are you running Windows? I use EqualizerAPO, which is a system-wide audio processor that has both its own inbuilt EQs and can host third-party VST EQs/effects. I like it because it works for all audio system-wide and disappears completely into the background once you've set it up.

As to the EQ curve itself, there are measurements of many popular headphones available here, along with recommended EQ filters to reach the Harman target curve.

Even if you don't want to use the Harman target, the measured responses of the headphones themselves are useful.

(FWIW, personally I find the Harman target to be very much in line with my perception of a neutral response in the midrange and treble, but perhaps slightly bass-heavy depending on the headphone/music. Anyway, I've always found it to be a good starting point - I usually apply it to begin with, and then apply an additional bass shelf to taste).
I actually do have EqualizerAPO, it's quite nice! My main issue is that it's not compatible with ASIO or WASAPI as it is a part of Windows. I currently listen to my library of music with MusicBee and the only plugin that I find that does the job decently is FabFilter Q3 pro. I've tried using both the Oratory 1990 recommended settings and also used Autoeq.py and they're both definitely way better than stock but I feel like personally I'd like the Oratory settings are too bright whereas the Autoeq.py settings which use Rtings measurements and Harmon 2018 as a target are a bit too dull, so I was wanting to make my own HRTF curve.

OP
S

Smokingpacman

Thanks guys :) I was deciding between buying a DAC with an EQ vs a decent Equalizer vst plugin but I think I am going to go with the software!

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results

I haven't used this one myself, but it is free, and others have said it works very nicely.

You also might want to read this 3 part short article written by memeber IIkless.
https://www.headphonesty.com/2020/04/harman-target-curves-part-1/

I use the Voicemeter Banana (US$20 donation ware) with its parametric EQ for my Sony MDR-1A 1:st gen.
It's 6 way, but I use 5 of them. With the data here: SONY MDR-1A
Works great and with support for ASIO. I'm getting a sound close to my speakers (Signature below).

Bob-23

1) Should I be buying hardware eq or should I stick with an eq plugin?
I use both digital eq (Harman) and hardware eq which comes in very handy, allowing me quickly and easily (with eyes closed) correcting for weaknesses not of the headphones - which are corrected digitally - but for weaknesses of particular recordings, adding a bit bass, or lowering shrill highs if necessary, and it is necessary, not rarely (Coltranes' or Garbarek's sopran sax). I have a (selfmade) shelving eq (the classical Baxandall), its interventions are smoother than 'filtering to the point' (high pass/low pass), and I couldn't say it sounds worse or better than the digital ones (but haven't done a proper ab-comparison yet). It's just very convenient and seems to me a good addition to the digital eq. Some headphones may even sound better when the're only corrected by a shelving eq.

Last edited:

Molasses

Hey, Smokingpacman. What software solution did you go with? And how are you finding it? I'm using APO (Peace, HeSuVi plugins) and I'm finding it lacking.

Best,

OP
S

Smokingpacman

Hey, Smokingpacman. What software solution did you go with? And how are you finding it? I'm using APO (Peace, HeSuVi plugins) and I'm finding it lacking.

Best,
I'm using fabfilter pro q3. I'm still on the trial, but it's the only one I found to actually work with music bee and asio.

Molasses

Hey, guys. I did more research on this and after trying several options I'm now using APO Equalizer. It's a free system-wide EQ and a VST plugin host

Best of luck

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
EqualizerAPO w/ Peace is such an added value to my headphones. I have been listening on my Sennheiser HD 25-1 II for many years now and was always a bit sorry that I opted for them, when compared to more musical headphones of friends of mine. But trimmed to the harman curve, they deliver quite a different soundscape! While they were very forward without EQ, now they are way more open and wide, but can sometimes let you miss some upper mids, details and forwardness. But this can be dealt with, dialed in again. Great software and also the measurements/presets!

MrGoodbits

Forum Donor
EqualizerAPO w/ Peace is such an added value to my headphones. I have been listening on my Sennheiser HD 25-1 II for many years now and was always a bit sorry that I opted for them, when compared to more musical headphones of friends of mine. But trimmed to the harman curve, they deliver quite a different soundscape! While they were very forward without EQ, now they are way more open and wide, but can sometimes let you miss some upper mids, details and forwardness. But this can be dealt with, dialed in again. Great software and also the measurements/presets!

I can happily listen to my EQ'd HD 25-1 II all day long. They also have the advantage of not looking expensive. Good to use in office environments.

Top Bottom