• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to eliminate ground buzzing noise.

levimax

Major Contributor
Because I have a Kindle 4K that I am using for Amazon HD music, it is connected my AVR and I need HDMI video output to the TV.
Thinking about I could try connecting it directly to the TV and using and optical connection. But this might complicate things with the WAF as it will require 2 remotes or I will need to purchase a universal remote.

Which Jensen Iso Max transformer do I need, they sell a million different ones and their also quite expensive.

Since balanced connections will eliminate ground loops I would get the "unbalanced" Iso Max so you can use it in the future on some other balanced ground loop, that model is CI-2RR. Of course you could replace your AVR with one that had balanced out but that would be even more expensive but maybe worth it if you sell your current one?

I agree that the HDMI connection is going to cause ground loops even if you use optical for audio.

levimax

Major Contributor
Well the optical wouldn't be subject to the ground loop issue itself, altho I suppose the audio from the tv could be "infected" and pass the noise still thru the optical connection, but I'd try it (and I always have an optical cable handy to try in any case).
Optical is worth a try but it is not the audio that has noise, it is the ground loop on the shield of the unbalanced connection between the AVR and amp that is injecting the noise into the amp.

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think that will stop it. It's not necessarily the TV itself, but i do think it's involved in the loop that's being created based on your test (the hdmi is creating the loop most likely like you're suspecting). It could be looping through the entire chain though. The iso transformer, optical or if you used xlr out on any part of your chain it would fix it im pretty sure. I imagine xlr is not an option or you'd most likely be using them.

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Optical is worth a try but it is not the audio that has noise, it is the ground loop on the shield of the unbalanced connection between the AVR and amp that is injecting the noise into the amp.
I thought the optical will break the ground loop from the tv to his avr right? There's no power passed through optical, only data (to my understand).

levimax

Major Contributor
I thought the optical will break the ground loop from the tv to his avr right? There's no power passed through optical, only data (to my understand).
The TV is still connected via HDMI which is causing a ground loop. The ground loop is on the shields of the connections between the TV and AVR and amp so it probably won't help to have optical for the audio as the HDMI ground is what is causing the problem.

Top Bottom