• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to do high level input right with a sub.

newjohnre

One thing that thread seemed to miss in all the ranting from those not wanting the behaviour is that the behaviour is optional.

There's a "Subwoofer" setting in "Surround Parameters" that controls subwoofer output for Stereo and Direct modes when LFE+Main is engaged.

The "Subwoofer" setting is on by default, so the behaviour happens if you select LFE+Main (which is not on by default), unless you find that setting and turn it off. I believe it's only visible when actually in that mode, like other Surround Parameters that only appear when relevant.

And at least on some models, it actually is a fixed-frequency analogue 80Hz LPF, not going through the DSP, at least if using a direct analogue source.

(I'm talking from Denon experience here - I expect Marantzes are similar).
Yeah, I think people automatically assume that others are trying to double-up bass to get more power and miss the point. Using this an option to compliment the natural 3dB downpoint of bass from bookshelf speakers is beneficial if you're trying to bypass the DAC

OP
Dennis_FL

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well, I'm kinda surprised but I found a better way to do all this and achieve bass management without having to go through the DAC in the my Marantz 8802A. This allows me to use the subwoofers with my LS50 Metas and my outboard DAC without double-bass issues. Long story short, on Denon and Marantz preamps you can turn on the normally shunned setting LFE+Main and it will send an equal signal to the mains and subs at all time, even in Pure Direct Mode. To do this correctly you could use whatever bass optimization you choose but the outboard DAC is treated as analog passthrough with no filtering.

This was most important to me in regards to multi-channel SACD that really wants full range in all speakers, especially for high dynamic range stuff like 1812.

Here's what gave the insight:

I had mine set up for LFE+Main --- and since I could easily bypass the Marantz/ Audyssey I could play tunes straight from the DAC in comparison.

My conclusion based on no blind studies and one method using room correction and one not, was that the output of the receiver with pure direct or using room correction was lacking the "crisp edges" in the instruments and vocals. The Marantz was "softer"

Not very scientific, I know. My preference was for no receiver. No A to D and D to A. But it wasn't a huge difference. But I got this mental block that the Marantz was degrading my nice DAC and I couldn't shake it. So mayby it's all hooey but I'm happy.

newjohnre

I had mine set up for LFE+Main --- and since I could easily bypass the Marantz/ Audyssey I could play tunes straight from the DAC in comparison.

My conclusion based on no blind studies and one method using room correction and one not, was that the output of the receiver with pure direct or using room correction was lacking the "crisp edges" in the instruments and vocals. The Marantz was "softer"

Not very scientific, I know. My preference was for no receiver. No A to D and D to A. But it wasn't a huge difference. But I got this mental block that the Marantz was degrading my nice DAC and I couldn't shake it. So mayby it's all hooey but I'm happy.
This is my exact same position on it. I know it is probably biased but using the preamplifier as an analog preamplifier only (allowing my Chord DAC to remain unchanged) seems to provide a more detailed sound-stage. I'm going to make a subwoofer configuration that's optimized for the natural rolloff of the KEFs, but even with the improper (double bass) setup it seems better

Top Bottom