• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to discover new music?

paulraphael

I find out who musicians I like are listening to.

This is a good one. Every time I've read that David Bowie has been listening to so-and-so, I go check it out. Even if it doesn't end up grabbing me, I know it will be interesting.

paulraphael

Go on road trips with people two, three, four decades younger than yourself and let them control the music.
(its not all good, but the discoveries that are good are really good.)

My 17 year-old nephew is a great source. We've stayed up late into the night talking about music. Oddly I often turn him onto new/experimental stuff, while he shows me obscure classic rock I never knew about. He's got a huge vinyl collection ... like the cool older brother I never had.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If it has Robert Crumb's artwork on the cover, I buy it:
R-1420661-1218413009.jpeg.jpg

Some are original works, some are compilations from his collection of rare disks, and I've yet to come across one which disappointed me.

Robin L

Master Contributor
If it has Robert Crumb's artwork on the cover, I buy it:
R-1420661-1218413009.jpeg.jpg

Some are original works, some are compilations from his collection of rare disks, and I've yet to come across one which disappointed me.

The trombone player from this group was impressed by R. Crumb's rendering of him. I was talking about music with this guy back when I was working at the IRS, he was a supervisor at the Fresno Campus of the IRS:

large.jpg

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Register with Spotify’s free service, if you read or are told about a musician or music, type in the details and have a listen. If you like what you hear enough to buy go ahead, it‘s what I do.

weesch

Hi
weesch new song ! (loud bass) and (side chain compressor controled by kick)
MISIL :
made with this hardware :
Mutools / protools hd tdm / yamaha 01v
PCM : 24 bit , 44.1 khz
mastering with : Beyer dt 150 and berhinger src 24/96
enjoy

Peterinvan

Tidal serves up good recommendations

I never listen to hip-hop or the similar genres promoted heavily by Tidal.
However after many years of curating my playlists on Tidal, and improvements in their algorithms, I now get some good recommendations in Jazz, Blues, and acoustic music.
Well worth the HiFi monthly fee :)

Being a wannabe audiophile, I have spoiled my ears with good quality tracks and equipment, so I go for the best available sources.
Qobuz is still not available in Canada, so I have no opinion to offer :(

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Tidal serves up good recommendations

I never listen to hip-hop or the similar genres promoted heavily by Tidal.
However after many years of curating my playlists on Tidal, and improvements in their algorithms, I now get some good recommendations in Jazz, Blues, and acoustic music.
Well worth the HiFi monthly fee :)

Being a wannabe audiophile, I have spoiled my ears with good quality tracks and equipment, so I go for the best available sources.
Qobuz is still not available in Canada, so I have no opinion to offer :(
Yes, I actually find tidal the best for recommending new releases this week for me (top 2 or 3 at least) after a bit of time using it.

UNow42

I listen to internet radio when sitting at my computer, usually FIP, either the direct program or one of the thematic channels. Sometimes I listen also at NRK Jazz.
Due to the information I can see on my screen it's not so important that my skills of French or Norwegian are limited.
Advantage to streaming of Spotify or Tidal is that I cannot skip to the next song.

Top Bottom