• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to differentiate CTIA (AHJ) vs OMTP standard TRRS by look?

Budgeter

Hi,

I have Beyerdynamic Byron, which is an in-ear monitor with built-in mic (3.5mm TRRS jack). I want to use it with my JDS Labs Atom amp. The thing is, when ever I plug it into Atom, the sound is like I'm under water (echoey) for some reason. However, if I use it with Fiio e10k, as well as my other mobile devices, it sounds normal. Just from a quick Google search, it seems like the 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter causes this issue due to the difference in pin out. Is it true?

If so, how can I know if my Byron uses CTIA or OMTP configuration? And what is the solution for this problem (buying different adapter I guess)? The adapters that I tried are what comes with (in the box) DT 990 premium 600 ohm, HE4xx, AD700x (probably I can infer my Byron uses OMTP from these tries). One thing to note here, it seems like Fiio e10k can work with either configuration without any issue(It doesn't care the ground?), so why does this matter if using adapter?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

A TRRS plug can only work with a TRRS jack. You didn’t give any details on the adapters you're trying, but to convert to TRS, if that’s what you’re wanting to do, the adapter would have to have be TRRS female jack to a TRS male plug.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

OP
B

Budgeter

A TRRS plug can only work with a TRRS jack. You didn’t give any details on the adapters you're trying, but to convert to TRS, if that’s what you’re wanting to do, the adapter would have to have be TRRS female jack to a TRS male plug.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Yes, I'm trying to convert 3.5mm (male) to 6.3mm(male) jack (TRRS to TRS) in order to use 3.5mm with Atom amp. The adapter that I'm using is just a generic one. I would say it is the same as whatever includes in the box when you buy a new headphone. Something like in the picture. I case I need to buy the new adapter (TRRS to TRS), I assume I still have to no my earphones jack's standard, right?
981209_5.png
https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/screwable-headphone-adapter.html

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Yes, those are standard headphone adapters. Not going to work for you (which you already know).

You might be out of luck. Everything I'm seeing for female TRRS to male TRS adapters seems to be for smart phones and video recorders, which means it's dropping one of the speaker connections and not the mic connection.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=trrs+female+to+trs+male+adaptor&t=brave&ia=shopping

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is a complete crapshoot as to whether a TRRS plug will work in any given TRS jack. The contact layouts are all different. Some will will work without shorting anything on the TRRS and other won't.

Someone might be able to recommend a specific 1/4" adapter which will work, but otherwise you'll need to just try several.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Headset splitter adapters work for this. They convert from a TRRS jack to two TRS plugs, one for the headphones, another for the microphone. Just use the headphone side and add an adapter for 6.35mm when needed.

Top Bottom