• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to create headphones EQ profile using REW

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi, I'm trying to create headphones EQ profiles in REW.

My software player takes in mono WAV files (doesn't have it's own parametric EQ but can do convolution etc).

Some basic adjustments like @Amir does in Roon, like below.

Can anyone share some basic steps how I would create the below profile in REW?

1611059565197.png

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
I got this far. I set the target to 0dB but I can't see anything like Roon has to start adding bands like Amir did

1611059877813.png

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I got this far. I set the target to 0dB but I can't see anything like Roon has to start adding bands like Amir did

View attachment 107077

Just click on the EQ Filters button at the top, and enter the desired filter parameters. When finished, go to File->Export->Filters impulse response as WAV. Select Mono, Current Filters, 32-bit Float, and the desired sampling rate(s). Save the WAV file then use it in your convolver. Here's what it looks like for the settings you quoted from Amir:
1611060981671.png

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Just click on the EQ Filters button at the top

Omg how did I not see that . Thanks heaps.

I use HQPlayer, which only takes in mono WAV impulse response files. Technically this is not an impulse response that I'm doing but it doesn't really matter right?

So this is an ok method that I'm doing?

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Omg how did I not see that . Thanks heaps.

Is this the right way to do it?

I use HQPlayer, which only takes in mono WAV.

Technically this is not an impulse response that I'm doing but it doesn't really matter right?

It's the impulse response of the filters you enter. HQP 4 supports entering PEQ settings directly, bypassing REW/convolution files, but the syntax is a bit daunting from what I've seen, and I'm still on HQP 3 :)

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At the moment it shows 48kHz for 'Generic'. Does that matter if I generate IR files at say 192kHz?

View attachment 107086

Generic is what you want. See the example screen capture I posted earlier:
1611061195800.png

HQPlayer will resample to the correct sampling rate, so you can pick any desired rate that matches most of your source material. The rest will be resampled, as needed.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You need Rephase to create EQ corrections in the form of a WAV file.

https://rephase.org/

REW is fully capable of doing simple PEQ in the form of a WAV file, although Rephase is also great and provides for phase corrections. Wonderful to have a choice of so many powerful software tools that don't cost a penny!

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
REW is fully capable of doing simple PEQ in the form of a WAV file, although Rephase is also great and provides for phase corrections. Wonderful to have a choice of so many powerful software tools that don't cost a penny!

Phase corrections for headphones !?

Is anyone doing that ?

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Phase corrections for headphones !?

Is anyone doing that ?

I've looked at phase response of my phones and found it to be very well behaved, no corrections necessary. For speakers -- it could be very valuable. And that's what Rephase is great for -- designing and testing crossovers, configuring subs, speaker response/room correction, etc.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
. For speakers -- it could be very valuable. And that's what Rephase is great for -- designing and testing crossovers, configuring subs, speaker response/room correction, etc.

Yes for speakers I use Audiolense, which is more automated than Acourate.

I'm not smart enough for Acourate or the free RePhase :-(

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Here's what it looks like for the settings you quoted from Amir:

Is there a way to visually see the EQ curve like Roon shows in Amir's screenshot?

I've entered the values in the EQ filters box like you did.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Here's what it looks like for the settings you quoted from Amir:

Hi @pkane

Why is my filter curve mirrored along the x-axis, compared with Amir's?

He is boosting the areas of interest but I'm reducing those same areas ?

1611065767718.png

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
I created a low pass filter just to test what was happening (listened in HQP to confirm it was working as expected).

Cut-off frequency 3kHz

So the green shade above x-axis are all the frequencies being removed.

So green shade below x-axis are all frequencies being added (boosted)? It seems counter-intuitive but it is getting late and i'm tired, so maybe my brain is slower than usual at the moment LOL

1611067302860.png

Top Bottom