• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to connect source to separate DAC and AMP?

Viper Necklampy

Hi, New here, i'm a little embarassed with this question.. But..
How can we set an output source like can be a PS4, running with optical cable for example, to separates Dac and amps? I have an expensive gear (Dac/amp combo) , but I always wandered how to attach things into things! Thanks :)

OP
V

Viper Necklampy

Most DACs have optical inputs so if the PS4 has the same, it is as simple as connecting the optical cable. Then you need to configure the PS4 to send PCM stereo to the DAC (no surround, no bitstream).
Sure, so Optical Ps4 to dac.. But now what about connecting the amp into the dac?

OP
V

Viper Necklampy

The amp to DAC is just a set of RCA audio cables.
Oh sounds easy :D I even see Amp got optical output/input.. So, if i own an Amp and Dac, the best way is source to AMP, and AMP to DAC via RCA?
Of course i think is better great expensive quality Opticals and RCA cables..

OP
V

Viper Necklampy

Well, there is another way and that is with XLR cables but then you need to make sure your DAC and Amps have the same connectors/feature.
Ok thanks, now i'll have to figure it out which is better! Like the debate that runs through Playstation 2, scart rgb vs component ahahah

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Oh sounds easy :D I even see Amp got optical output/input.. So, if i own an Amp and Dac, the best way is source to AMP, and AMP to DAC via RCA?
Of course i think is better great expensive quality Opticals and RCA cables..
If your Amp has optical input, it is not a Amp, it is a DAC / Amp combo unit, most likely.

bravomail

get a DAC. PS4 to DAC - you will need optical TOSLINK/SPDIF cable to connect PS4 to DAC. Then DAC connects to AMP with RCA audio cable. Then AMP connects to headphones (if it has headphone out) and/or speakers (if it has speaker posts). For speakers u will need a speaker wire.

Roen

Really? bravomail just said that i must connect the dac via optical :/
An Amp is an analog only device.

Optical transfers digital data only.

If an Amp can handle digital data, it must have a digital-to-analog converter built in. I'll let you figure out what the acronym for that is.

OP
V

Viper Necklampy

If I buy JDS Atom and Topping D50, I would need to do these connections? Ps4 Optical out to D50 optical in ; D50 RCA Out to ATOM RCA In ; Headphones plugged via Atom 3.5mm. Right is all ok? :p

OP
V

Viper Necklampy

someone digging a foxhole....or rabbithole:)
I said HELP! Not holes! Please can you explain if i get something wrong? I have the easy click on the web stores, so please... Before i do something bad :)

Reactions: Voo

Voo

ps4 sounds pretty good. just connect it to your amp.

Voo

only way I know is spdif out to spdif in to dac or hdmi out to dac...most dacs I know dont have hdmi in so would need a converter box. is spdif to spdif a problem to your dac?

OP
V

Viper Necklampy

only way I know is spdif out to spdif in to dac or hdmi out to dac...most dacs I know dont have hdmi in so would need a converter box. is spdif to spdif a problem to your dac?
Yes, i'll connect with optical of course, they confirmed mePs4/Ps3/Ps2 to dac, Dac to amp --> Headphone

Reactions: Voo
Top Bottom