• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to connect 2 speakers and a sub to this amp, connector image incl.

FunkeXMix

Hi all!

I am new at how to connect subs and would appreciate the help. Can you connect a sub and two speakers to this A800? Or do you need a separate one just for the sub, if so isnt the power from this amp overkill for just subs? I read the manual, but didn't find the answer to this.
index.php

Thanks!

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A subwoofer is a speaker by itself that you add to a two speaker stereo system. It’s called a 2.1 setup, the 2.0 being standard stereo. Each speaker requires an amplifier channel by itself, hence you need a third mono amplifier for the subwoofer. This is why majority of subwoofers are active with an inbuilt amplifier.

If you let us know your subwoofer maybe we can guide you more in detail.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Normally the sub has its own amplifier and most "home theater" subs are active/powered with their own built-in amp.

And a "proper" setup also has a crossover to send just the bass to the subwoofer amplifier and to filter-out the bass going to the main speaker amp. That's part of the "bass management" built-into home theater receivers or there are stand-alone active crossovers. Or as a compromise many active subwoofers have a low-pass filter and the bass can go to the main speakers also. Or I believe there are some subs with a full-crossover and line outputs for the left & right channels.

Or there are pro amplifiers with DSP, so one amp can be configured for high-pass and another for low-pass.

OP
F

FunkeXMix

'And a "proper" setup also has a crossover to send just the bass to the subwoofer' Can't this be done on the software player side? Jriver player has this feature:
1668526232875.png

OP
F

FunkeXMix

A subwoofer is a speaker by itself that you add to a two speaker stereo system. It’s called a 2.1 setup, the 2.0 being standard stereo. Each speaker requires an amplifier channel by itself, hence you need a third mono amplifier for the subwoofer. This is why majority of subwoofers are active with an inbuilt amplifier.

Don't have a sub yet, just learnin. Thanks!

OP
F

FunkeXMix

So did I get you right, the amp in the image only has 2 channel outputs from the looks of it, which would be taken up by the speakers. It needs one more output to be able to connect a sub to it? Even if the sub is powered.

Zek

Major Contributor

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So did I get you right, the amp in the image only has 2 channel outputs from the looks of it, which would be taken up by the speakers. It needs one more output to be able to connect a sub to it? Even if the sub is powered.

Generally speaking, you would not connect a powered sub to this amp because most powered subs accept a line level input and this amp has no line level output. The exception would be with a sub like my REL Quake which has a 'Hi Level' input which can be fed directly from the speaker terminals (in addition to the speakers being connected)...

1670149216749.png

OP
F

FunkeXMix

Generally speaking, you would not connect a powered sub to this amp because most powered subs accept a line level input and this amp has no line level output. The exception would be with a sub like my REL Quake which has a 'Hi Level' input which can be fed directly from the speaker terminals (in addition to the speakers being connected)...

View attachment 247712
Thanks, I am gonna try that!

Last edited:
Top Bottom