• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to compensate for center speaker that isn’t ear level?

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My understanding is that we mainly perceive change in height of a sound source as tonal shift. If a center speaker must be placed below ear level, is there any way to calculate a compensation EQ?

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where did you read that? I hadn't heard that. Not disagreeing, just wondering the source.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My understanding is that we mainly perceive change in height of a sound source as tonal shift. If a center speaker must be placed below ear level, is there any way to calculate a compensation EQ?

Why not angle to up to point at the listening position? I have mine with a slight tilt upwards just for that reason.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I am starting to think that in practical terms the phantom center is superior. there is a way to make the sweet spot bigger with a phantom center by angeling the speakers 45 degrees or more. the dispersion pattern has to match, though. this is something that deserves a seprate topic

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My understanding is that we mainly perceive change in height of a sound source as tonal shift.
I might be wrong here and, if so, I apologise in advance but I think you will find that these kind of phenomena are confined to when the source(s) are actually moving. i.e. a Doppler effect.

When everything is static, no issue.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the phantom center is superior.
To a center down below? That's not our experience at all. But surely it depends on individual room and system geometry. Note that a phantom center can never really sound the same as a real one, because the room reflections are different. Tom Holman used to go around giving a demonstration of that.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
To a center down below? That's not our experience at all. But surely it depends on individual room and system geometry. Note that a phantom center can never really sound the same as a real one, because the room reflections are different. Tom Holman used to go around giving a demonstration of that.

I was robbed half my quote lol

Top Bottom