• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to compare these two amp power charts?

Daniel7

The NAD review mentions a 1kHz test tone & continuous (RMS) power. Do we know what tone is used in the ASR measure, and if it is peak vs continuous (RMS) power?

I'm trying to compare RMS power into 8 ohm loads but I'm not sure how to interpret these two charts to compare what these two amps can do.

Loxjie A30:
index.php

NAD D3020 V1:
415NADfig13.jpg

Fig.13 NAD D 3020, distortion (%) vs 1kHz continuous output power into 8 ohms.
"The minimum distortion level was low, and the D 3020 clipped (defined as when the THD+N reaches 1%) at 58Wpc into 8 ohms (17.6dBW)"

Last edited:

jasonhanjk

They both uses 1kHz. The NAD have better spec in terms of power.
Both THD+N for both graph are quite similar if ignore it's max output power.

OP
D

Daniel7

They both uses 1kHz. The NAD have better spec in terms of power.
Both THD+N for both graph are quite similar if ignore it's max output power.
I'd like to compare the two charts in order to get an apples to apples figure on RMS output. Do you know how I could do that?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
First of all the Y axis scale 0.01% is -80 dB. Both graphs reach or exceed slightly below that, so they are practically the same in noise and distortion.

But max power defined by 1% THD+N which is -40 dB, one is about 30W while the other some 47W.

But the question is why are you comparing 8 ohms graphs to begin with? Most speakers nowadays are closer to 4 ohms, which is more demanding of the amplifier (higher current). You should be comparing them in 4 ohms to be more relevant imo.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Amir is measuring continuous RMS. Most modern amplifiers can't put-out much more peak-power than RMS because they have regulated power supplies that don't sag very much when stressed. But I think some manufacturers measure peak power at 10% distortion or something like that to make the spec as high as possible.

With regular program material, of course the amplifier is never putting-out full-continuous power. But it's a "standard" measurement and it's a good-conservative spec. We don't mind if the amp can put-out higher occasional peaks.

I don't trust manufacturer's specs. Even the "reputable" manufacturers seem to fudge a bit. :(

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd like to compare the two charts in order to get an apples to apples figure on RMS output. Do you know how I could do that?
@ what level of THD + Noise? Give it to me either in dB or %.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How is that conversion done (I’m sure it’s a simple formula but I don’t know where to start)?
Use this calc.>>>

OP
D

Daniel7

@ what level of THD + Noise? Give it to me either in dB or %.

This raises a good question & I don't have any kind of grasp on what occurs along the range of THD, how certain thresholds might translate to listening experience.

It seems published and discussed specs are all over the board on THD. Is there a good rule of thumb or way to look at power spec charts in relation to THD?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This raises a good question & I don't have any kind of grasp on what occurs along the range of THD, how certain thresholds might translate to listening experience.

It seems published and discussed specs are all over the board on THD. Is there a good rule of thumb or way to look at power spec charts in relation to THD?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Daniel7 I think 0.1% THD + Noise is a fair number for this specific use case. It's low enough you'll have your bases covered for higher frequencies and still get a good wattage figure from the amps.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How is that conversion done (I’m sure it’s a simple formula but I don’t know where to start)?

Medium simple or medium complex depending how you look at it. Easy enough to use this website :)

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
OP
D

Daniel7

But the question is why are you comparing 8 ohms graphs to begin with? Most speakers nowadays are closer to 4 ohms, which is more demanding of the amplifier (higher current). You should be comparing them in 4 ohms to be more relevant imo.
I'm using some older Mirage 8-ohm speakers that can handle ~50w.

Last edited:
OP
D

Daniel7

Does anyone know if there's a THD value that Amir always measures to, and if so what it would be in %?

For example on this chart how did he determine where to stop measurement on the A30?

index.php

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know if there's a THD value that Amir always measures to, and if so what it would be in %?

For example on this chart how did he determine where to stop measurement on the A30?

index.php
Visually, from where it starts to rise.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

The measurement stopped at -15dB (20% dist @ 1kHz, 40W in 8ohm)
It is unclear why, could be limited by the gain of the amplifier (and max input voltage) or some other reason. When protection kicks in the tell tale sign is a sharp bend to the left which is not seen in this plot.
The cursor was set at -75dB (18W in 8ohm) which is around 0.02% so can assume that's where Amir draws 'a line'.

Amir usually eyeballs where the distortion starts to rise (sharply). This may not always be at the exact same distortion level.

You can easily convert level to % (and the other way around) with THIS online calculator

notsodeadlizard

Nobody counts logarithms in their minds (except geeks), so just remember the rule "10 times less percentage means -20 less decibel" and if I may say so, "threshold numbers":
1% THD is -40 dB
0.1% THD is -60 dB
0.01% THD is -80 dB
0.001% THD is -100 dB

Above 18 watts of power output, this Loxjie (how can you pronounce it at all?) flies into the wastebasket.
NAD is still OK till 48W approximately.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Top Bottom