• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to choose a new TV.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did bought last week a new TV TCL 50C635 considered a budget TV. Went from a plasma TV from 15 years old 1K to a smart 4K resolution TV difference/experience is enormous.

Basically bought this TV because of it positive reviews low power consumption (compared with the old plasma TV) it has more or less the latest Android OS an will because of that for at least >8 years update the apps in depended of the brand so is told to me lets hope.:facepalm:

Before i bought the TCL i did try to compare at several stores the quality which is basically IMO impossible. Sales persons told me we take them out of the packaging an put them on the shelf thats it.
So looking to 30+ devices i really could not tell which TV was the best looking in a certain price range till i ask for a remote an could change the sharpness a colors, brightness etc etc in this case the TCL. It changed the personal setup for the best IM(subjective)O also compared with more expensive TV's. It is impossible to ask for 10 remotes an do the same for all of them they where quite reluctant to let me do that.
The sound of all this TV's is really crap out of the box (not a suprise) thinking of buying a sound bar don't have a proper stereo set up in my living room.

Beside of size I was wondering how other members are choosing their Teli.

Last edited:
OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Strongly suggest OLED. I have an LG and won’t go back to LED at the same price point.
Regarding OLED or QLED where one of the things i dove into. Most sales people i spoke to suggested it is quite personal what you find accepteble.

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Fomo is a forum member and a good source of info for TV's. In Stop the Fomo, his channel, you can find a throve of information, in a very easy to follow format to check all your needs.

Mal

I use a computer monitor with an Amazon Firestick - that gets round the "app updates" problem. In eight years time the monitor should be fine, and if I need to upgrade the firestick that's not expensive. I keep on worrying that this is too easy & cheap and maybe I should get a "proper" TV, but I'm happy with the picture, so why bother? I use KEF LSX for sound - which kind of undermines my cheap and future proof approach :) Sounds great, though!

FlyingFreak

Rting and HDTVTest on YouTube are the ones doing actual test I’m aware about.
I just follow HDTVTest recommendations.
TVs are much easier to choose as there is a standard for what a good image is.
On top of image quality in desired environment (will the room be dark or not), I look at price and how it performs for gaming.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
The best site for this is IMO, RTINGS.com Their reviews and tests are Science-based.
At this point. Absolute Best picture in a light-controlled room: OLED, and by far... For a regular room Q-LED has a slight advantage in term of maximum brightness.. OLED remains superior in almost everything else that matters for Picture Quality. The differences between the best OLED and QLED while subtle are apparent to most people.
Flat , thin screens are not the best environment to house good speakers. The sound from some flat screens, do a surprisingly decent job of reproducing sound. I would advise anyone to just get a soundbar for any TV. SONOS makes really good sounding soundbars. I have read about other soundbars, namely Samsung, Sennheiser, Devialet, no experience with these. Currently own a SONOS Beam and have installed multiple SONOS Arc, for friends and businesses (do a good job for intelligibility in Zoom meetings). Don;t care the "Atmos" performance of the ARC, the general sound for music and movies is better than adequate. At time, surprisingly good.
Until recently I was a front Projector and screen person... No longer... a 98 inches TCL QLED TV for $9,000.oo is widely available. I tend to think that it will be objectively superior to a PJ + Screen of the same size and price...
It won't be long, a year max, before >85 inches OLED go for half that...

Peace.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
By digging around objective tests and comparations and shopping around this time. Last time about 2~3 years ago I got Panasonic GX810E whit which I am still happy after finding it's Kalman data. It's not much just an entry level (real) HDR with back lit VA panel but Panasonic calibration accuracy especially gray scale one put them in front of competition. I didn't want: complex, slow, buggy OS and half dumb basic but with fine granulated picture settings of Panasonic one serve me good. Also I got it cheap as I bought in dead season after new year holidays.

NDRQ

OLED.. nothing else .

Agressive brightness limiter, mediocre brightness and color saturation, black crush that smearin low level details...even OLED is not perfect.
High end miniled Samsung Qleds are not having these issues, while the contrast almost the same good.
Not to mention that you need a dark room if you want to enjoy the OLED, meanwhile a top QLED is still good even in daylight in a bright livingroom.

Last edited:

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Figure out what size you need... then buy one size larger! :p

I like Rtings, too. Cross check with other reviews and check it out before buying.

Make certain you have the specs you want for what you are doing, too. Gaming, movies, sports... They seem to be getting better at getting a one-size fits all design, but there are still outliers.

radix

Major Contributor
I, personally, like the Sony Bravia UI with google TV. I have a Samsung too, and do not like the UI as much as the Sony. I have not tried the LG.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I've been really satisfied with all my Sonys... Used to have a 1080 Samsung that was geared toward gaming. Not a bad TV, but Samsung went all in betting against Dolby Vision, and all my gear supports DV. Uncertain at this point if Samsung has relented, but until Sony lays an egg, I likely won't find out anytime soon. ;)

I keep hearing good things about LG... truly curious, but I think they are still slightly susceptible to burn in. As an occasional gamer, I don't know if the risk vs cost is worth their C level screens.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OLED is the best in a dark room. If you have a bright room or do a lot of daytime viewing make sure you audition many sets/technologies. Also if your room is wide viewing angle can be an issue on LED based TVs.

Terry Stahly

I currently own three Sony 85" TV's and am looking to replace one as soon as possible. Since I am not willing to go smaller and would like to go to 95" even I am pretty much stuck with 2022 Sony 85" Bravia XR X95K 4K Mini Led until they announce the X95L for 2023 due to no Oled 85's that work in a room during the day. Some reviews on the X95K I have watched claim it is so close to OLED that what it gives up is more than made up for during the day. I am hoping the 23 model L improves on the K. I really do not need it as I spend most of my time in Florida until May so even if the 23 model does not come out at least I know the K is an awfully good TV many think the best and four generations newer than my 2018 F series so a very noticeable improvement for a couple of years until Sony has a 85" QD LED with better performance in the daytime. They do not even offer one as of yet and 2022. I have a 2019 G series in Florida but I don't think they really hit their stride until the 22 K series.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/266115036291?epid=8052409900&hash=item3df5b13483:g:zmQAAOSwjqpj3Tpm&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA8EjUuwGP2vq3TCKMyV1kesFuxRZxmVFPWQ5ZW0EUJPnh/v1l2BApXJcoVC2Kiw2lpZlyG12BAm7MSQTjPy5KO+V5vO0EQ/q9FryS4qJvbAUw4+qDvW4y+E73jCydLiK7ctuMDRcM/FpdwumEEG5TNYJqnhCfLF5L+mkrktyhhk896WlQexuGTMM40vXYE/2B1S+Ij02xVpvVKfCSLo/qI1TYQRDDpKFhcpsUQL0KynUIHpHovqwL1wEqCsqD/OogyTeC4IdJh1sPN+T85m8ioMN1aViY5vNfD3GcVEhNXsBMIeo76M+VDOIbN2rEvpzm9Q==|tkp:BFBM_MHXzMlh

Attachments

• Home theater 2 2023 smaller.jpg
    Home theater 2 2023 smaller.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 60

Terry Stahly

Sharpness, detail and black levels and neither home would I ever want a projector or screen in our family room.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sharpness, detail and black levels and neither home would I ever want a projector or screen in our family room.
Have you looked at some of the Ultra Short Throw Laser projectors? I don't know that there is an advantage in sharpness or detail vs the better projectors. There is an advantage in black levels. Those UST laser projectors sit a few inches from the screen they project upon and the screens reject ambient light from the surface. Not much different than a large LCD TV in terms of space taken up in the room. Several are available in 100 inch and 120 inch versions. A few larger than that.

Top Bottom