• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to choose a new TV.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sharpness, detail and black levels and neither home would I ever want a projector or screen in our family room.
Let's get subjective. :)

You are spot on. Virtually any quality TV will smoke most any projector in black levels and sharpness... most TVs will also out perform most projectors in brightness as well. That said, I like movies. Watching movies on a projected image looks more like going to the cinema and I like that. More than that, most video displays do not match looking out the window at nature... they are hyper real with greater detail and a sharper image than you get with the naked eye.

It is up to the viewer to decide which he prefers. I like projectors, but totally understand why you may prefer an emissive display.

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agressive brightness limiter, mediocre brightness and color saturation, black crush that smearin low level details...even OLED is not perfect.
High end miniled Samsung Qleds are not having these issues, while the contrast almost the same good.
Not to mention that you need a dark room if you want to enjoy the OLED, meanwhile a top QLED is still good even in daylight in a bright livingroom.
My TCL Qled brightness is brought back to 65% than it is bright enough for us. Will probably add to less burninn an longlivety of the TV.

luft262

IMHO OLED is the best, unless maybe you'll be watching TV in a super bright room or you're worried about burn in (small risk). But it's not good enough to sacrifice TV screen size for. You should get the largest screen your room and viewing distance can accomodate and only then get OLED if it's in the budget. A smaller OLED TV will not provide a better experience than a larger LED TV IMHO.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
IMHO OLED is the best, unless maybe you'll be watching TV in a super bright room or you're worried about burn in (small risk). But it's not good enough to sacrifice TV screen size for. You should get the largest screen your room and viewing distance can accomodate and only then get OLED if it's in the budget. A smaller OLED TV will not provide a better experience than a larger LED TV IMHO.
:p
I'm on a 49" in my little room (11x15', I'm about 8' from the mains, so maybe 9' from the screen)... Planning on a 55" upgrade... measured out of curiosity and a 65" fits between my Speakers...

*sighs wistfully

As I said earlier, figure out the size you need then buy the next size bigger! :D

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a 24 inch monitor maybe 12-18 inches from me. I remember the big color TV we first got when I was a kid. Dad splurged a few dollars and got the 23 inch. Wow, a big TV and color. We watched it from 12 feet away. Probably close enough for maybe 330 lines of resolution. Star Trek was awesome in color. I had only seen it in black and white. 10 years later they upgraded to the big, big 25 inch.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Have been buying Sony TVs for decades. I really don't mind Sony tax.

Top Bottom