• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to Calibrate Loudness?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I hear you on the variability of mix hotness. Set it - 39 dbFS and live with a few days. You can always adjust that up or down a few db till it suits you best.

I don't want music playback to end up like movies where there have to be a couple dozen proprietary formats on the AVR to watch anything with sound. Some basic level stabilization would pay some dividends however.

I thought the Bob Katz article that was linked was insightful, especially the comment on loudness wars....and that was from 2000!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought the Bob Katz article that was linked was insightful, especially the comment on loudness wars....and that was from 2000!

Yes, a voice in the wilderness of the loudness wars. The loudness wars can't get much worse. Otherwise you'll have all clipping all the time.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
This a paper about how the industry addresses the loudness war question... normalizing the recording to an average loudness rather than instant peaks...
https://tech.ebu.ch/docs/techreview/trev_2010-Q3_loudness_Camerer.pdf
A different "loudness", I think. (Like "compression" and "compression").

In this case, "loudness" refers to variable EQ depending on playback level in order to maintain perceived equal "loudness" at all frequencies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

In the 1970s many amplifiers had a "Loudness" button that applied a fixed boost to bass and treble. Most non-audiophiles left it on all the time...

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
IIRC, dr @Floyd Toole in his book says that loudness mode should modify only bass and leave treble alone.

Top Bottom