• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to block out conference sound for home office privacy without room treatment?

Budgeter

For context, I'm working from home, and my bedroom is practically an office. The room is not soundproof, so people from the outside (e.g., in the living room) can hear the conversation, albeit smaller due to the walls.

What would be the best way to protect sound leakage from my work conference (which is rather sensitive)? Due to reasons, I cannot perform a room treatment, so that is a no-go. I heard there exists white noise generators or something along the line that can mask my voice, not sure about its effectiveness though.

Any suggestion is appreciated!

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Use noise cancelling headphones and keep your voice down.....:) I am using XM5s and/or the WF XM4s.

OP
B

Budgeter

Ah, I always use headphones so that should be fine. The problem is my voice. Even if I keep my voice down as much as I can, it can still be heard from the outside. I don't mind the noise from other people though, so noise-canceling headphone is not the target.
Use noise cancelling headphones and keep your voice down.....:) I am using XM5s and/or the WF XM4s.

odarg64

Perhaps software or hardware (e.g., a DAC/amp) with microphone gain control that would allow you to speak more softly? I don't teleconference, so don't know how practical that might be.

OP
B

Budgeter

Perhaps software or hardware (e.g., a DAC/amp) with microphone gain control that would allow you to speak more softly? I don't teleconference, so don't know how practical that might be.
I'm gonna try that, just order a new mic for this purpose. That said, I don't think it is reliable. The goal is to make sure no one can hear under all circumstances (or at least, very hard to hear).

Digby

Major Contributor
One of those room dividers they use in open plan offices, plus some soundproofing/extra weight on the door? Noise generator might work, would prob have to be loud enough to interrupt what you doing though to be effective.

OP
B

Budgeter

One of those room dividers they use in open plan offices, plus some soundproofing/extra weight on the door? Noise generator might work, would prob have to be loud enough to interrupt what you doing though to be effective.
Room dividers seem like a nice idea, I will take a look at them. My door also has an open space at its bottom, I can find something to cover that.

odarg64

I hang an acoustic blanket over a window which does a decent job of keeping out street noise. It might be enough to muffle voices.

This brand:

I use the 'door buddy' on my (tall) window.

I've also seen plans for PVC vocal booths:

The problem with all of this (pricey) stuff is that you don't know how it works until you lay out the money and install. I also used a door buddy on the room door, which didn't do much for keeping trumpet playing noise (music?) out of the rest of the house. It leaks through walls, the floor and the ceiling. I ended up waiting to practice until the rest of the house was empty. That said, some treaments might be effective enough to mute talking. Again, you don't know until you try.

odarg64

I'm gonna try that, just order a new mic for this purpose. That said, I don't think it is reliable. The goal is to make sure no one can hear under all circumstances (or at least, very hard to hear).
Something like the Schiit Hel DAC/amp has a mic gain control, but it costs $200 to find out if it's effective enough. Might be risky.

OP
B

Budgeter

Something like the Schiit Hel DAC/amp has a mic gain control, but it costs $200 to find out if it's effective enough. Might be risky.
I ordered this (the successor of the AT2020 USB version. It was released days ago).

A dedicated mic with an interface will be better for sure. However, for starters, I prefer to try an integrated solution first.

raindance

Major Contributor
You need to add noise masking in the area OUTSIDE the office in order to muffle your speech for listeners outside your office. I don't know why someone suggested doing it in your office, that would just make you need to speak louder. Pink noise and evenly distributed speakers at least (pink noise isn't the best, but can work and is easy enough to setup and test). Atlas Sound has a white paper on the subject, although it's probably more detail than you need.

Midnight Audiophile

I've got an open doorway from the kitchen to my den/office that I treated with two different sound dampening blankets and a door sweep. I have magnets in the door sweep sleeve. The outer blanket is folded doubled over with velcro at the edges around the door frame. I know you said no room treatments but thought you may get some ideas from this.

IMG_4348.jpg

IMG_4351.jpg

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Helmet mic.jpg

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Yeah... I doubt the people outside of the room would like masking noise, which of course has to be louder where they are than where you are.

Masking (drowning out) can be very effective but also very annoying unless you are the one who prefers white or pink to noise to whatever sound is annoying you already. I used to have a wave sound recording to drown-out the neighbors. (It was "intense storm waves" with no real-silence between waves.)

Usually "treatment" is for reducing reflections. It can reduce the leakage in-and-out a little but actual soundproofing usually involves major re-construction.

...Mobsters used to take a walk outside if they thought the room might be bugged. :D :D :D

Top Bottom