• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to Best Configure Crown XLS DriveCore 2 With Marantz AVR as Preamp?

TSAdmiral

I have a Crown XLS 2502 I've been using with a Marantz SR5010 as a preamp for some time now, but after coming across Amir's reviews of more recent Marantz AVRs, it made me wonder if I was configuring the Crown optimally. Granted, my Marantz is a few years older than these models, but I wager there's not a huge difference between them. I'm going to reference and link to his reviews of the SR6014 and SR7015 as a basis for my inquiries.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/marantz-sr6014-avr-review.14615/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/marantz-sr7015-8k-avr-review.16462/

According to these reviews, it seems the DACs on Marantz AVRs perform their best at around 0.7 volts, which according to Amir is at the absolute volume of 73.5 and 73 for the SR6014 and SR7015, respectively. It would normally be extremely difficult finding an amp that has an input sensitivity that low, but between input sensitivity settings and the front gain knobs, the Crown gives me some options to work with.

Between 1.4V and 0.775V, which is the more appropriate input sensitivity setting? The former has a lower noise floor, but the latter seems to be a closer match to the 0.7 volt optimal output level of the Marantz. Previously, I had the Crown set to its default of 1.4V with the gain knobs set to give me 75 db at 0 relative volume with no individual channel adjustments. This is obviously before I came across Amir's measurements. I figured 1.4V is the closest to what most consumer audiophile amps have as their input sensitivity and I essentially treated the gain knobs similarly to those on a subwoofer. After reading Amir's reviews, I've changed it to 0.775V and adjusted the gain knobs to still give me 75 db at 0 relative volume, but with the individual channel levels reduced in such a way that it is equivalent to an absolute volume of 73. For example, to set 75 db at 0 relative reference volume (80 absolute), I adjusted the left and right channels by -7, which should net 73 absolute volume. If I'm interpreting the numbers correctly, the Marantz should be outputting around 0.7 volts to give me a 75 db reference volume. Am I doing this correctly or am I misunderstanding something? Assuming I am optimizing correctly for 0.7 output on the Marantz, is this worth the higher noise floor of the 0.775V input sensitivity versus the 1.4V default? What are the best settings for overall system performance?

Lastly, in a video interview Amir had with Stop the FOMO on YouTube back in February he said if he had to go with a processor for himself he'd go with a Denon and use an XLR converter. I've never neard of such a thing, what is an XLR converter?

OP
T

TSAdmiral

This is an extremely late reply to an old thread, so if any moderators deem it appropriate, feel free to lock this thread. I was new to the ASR forum interface at the time and for whatever reason assumed that I would receive an email notification should any replies to this be posted. Many months later, this topic emerged from the back of my mind again and I wanted to manually check the thread. Lo and behold, there was indeed one reply. Again, if any mods wish to lock this for resurrecting an old thread or other reasons, I understand. If indeed this is locked, which part of the forum would be a more appropriate place for this discussion? The XLS review threads? The Marantz review threads? Thanks in advance for tolerating this neophyte.

That aside, I wish to thank oupee for the reply I got. Getting back to where we left off, may I ask why I should leave it at 1.4V? Is it because the increased noise isn't worth the slightly better operating range of the AVR? Am I misinterpreting something about Amir's measurements in how the input sensitivity options on the Crown works? Beyond simply tweaking the equipment I have, I'm actually interested in learning about how to interpret this data and apply this to achieve the best practical results. For example, what if the optimal output of the Marantz was 1.2V instead, which may or may not be a future situation I may find myself in should I change my AVR.

Top Bottom