• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to avoid crackling via USB (static noise at mainboard-plug? USB-cable issue?)

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Hello, i need some help, please!

I use a RME ADI 2 DAC plugged into the USB 2.0.-port on a PC (MSI B450M mainboard). From time to time some kind of "static crackling" builds up and the only solution seems to be plugging the USB out of the mainboard and back in. Shutting off the DAC or pulling the plug on the DAC itself doesn´t work. I have an Intona USB isolator, and it doesn´t help - it happens with and without it. It tried different USB ports, but it´s the same, even with the USB-ports on the other side of the case that are coeccted to the mainboard via cable. I can hear it through headphones and speakers.

When i replug, the crackling seems to go away for at least a few days until it creeps back some day.

I think i have the problem since i tied a bunch of cables together, so the USB cable is close to other cables, like power, display-port, other USB-cables.

Maybe i could solve the problem if i seperate the USB->DAC-cable from the others, but i don´t really want that.

But i am not sure, maybe i changed the cable when i re-organized the calbing stuff. So maybe it has something to do with the cable.

Could a different USB cable help in my case? The one i am using now doesn´t have the ferrite-cores or how you call it. I don´t know what these do.

So i could just try some stuff and just buy some other USB-cable with more shielding or whatever, but i really don´t understand the problem and would like to know what causes it before i buy something.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Try different cables temporarily to check if it solves. Or maybe add a PCIe USB card, or try an USB hub.

Chuckser

It sounds like static is building up in the sheath around your cables, as a result of a dielectric effect. If you don't want to separate the cables from the bundle you could try earthing the plastic shielding around the USB cable using some bell wire.

OP
DJBonoBobo

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Thanks for your answers so far. I will try the things you suggested, but because it could take some days for the problem to come back again it takes some time until i can do it.

OP
DJBonoBobo

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Thanks, i will try this as well. On one occasion i had the impression the problem occured when i used WASAPI (exclusive) and it disappeared when i switched to WASAPI (shared) in MusicBee, but i am not sure about this. I could not reproduce it yet, but will try.

metaleggman

I've had my iFi Zen DAC (well, could also be my thx amp as well, or eve just the analog cables involved or my cans themselves) do that every once in a blue moon, but in my case I've always assumed it was because my phone was nearby and receiving a call or text message (not sure anyone remembers this, but of my teachers could guess when someone was texting because it would cause his speakers to crackle (they were on but with no music playing)). But in your case, since it seems to keep going once it starts until you do what you described, my guess is there's an issue on the software level, or on the hardware level in terms of your motherboard's usb hardware (it would be disappointing if it was your DAC, given the price and whatnot). As always though, try another usb cable just in case.

Try reinstalling the DAC's USB drivers, or reverting to an older version. You mentioned WASAPI exclusive possibly causing an issue; do you use the DAC in exclusive mode often? Does this only happen when in WASAPI Exclusive mode? You might want to try ASIO if your DAC and playback software support it. Since you mentioned you're on WASAPI, I'll assume you're on Windows 10. You could try rolling back any windows updates or even roll back from the current version of windows, possibly, as it could be a Windows issue as well. Also, did you upgrade the DAC's firmware prior to having this issue?

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
Just take that cable out of the bundle.
And if you use cable ties, don't pull them too tight.

OP
DJBonoBobo

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
FYI, the problem didn´t return for a while. But today i tried some things with a powered USB-hub and different new devices. Suddenly the problem appeared at some point. I still don´t know exactly what happens, but:
- When the RME ADI 2 DAC is connected to a powered hub, i can now switch the crackling on and off when i pull the power-chord of the hub. With power, crackling goes away, when pulled, it returns.
- WASAPI/driver didn´t seem to have an effect.
- No latency issues (tried latency mon).

So, it seems to be ok when i use a powered hub. I don´t know if it´s because of some grounding issue or whatever.

I didn´t try what @Chuckser suggested yet, because i didn´t have a wire at hand at the moment.

jokan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
USB expansion hubs are a constant source for issues it seems. The quality of these expansion hubs is just variable.
You can find under your device manager exactly where your RME lies in the device list of connected devices, that should point you in a direction.
To avoid issues myself, I also have the RME ADI2 DAC fs in my case, I have mine connected to a dedicated USB 2.0 port right off the board without any expansion hubs. Whatever you do, do not use an expansion hub connected to another expansion hub. You're just asking for issues if you do that.
I suspect you have an expansion hub that is also connected to some EXT hard drives.

If that isn't the case then RME is very helpful in my experience. You could always contact them via email and ask for help if you can't solve the noise issue.

OP
DJBonoBobo

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
USB expansion hubs are a constant source for issues it seems.

In my case using a (powered) hub was the solution, not the problem.

Gekel

Why not? If you have issues with the electrical nois generated by your computer, plugging in a hub in the middle always is an option. Another one would be to try a different cable to see if the issues are coming from another componente (I look at you mobile phone). If everything fails like it happend to me, use an optical cable instead.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
When the RME ADI 2 DAC is connected to a powered hub, i can now switch the crackling on and off when i pull the power-chord of the hub. With power, crackling goes away, when pulled, it returns.
Fascinating. USB power must be marginal for some reason. Maybe some sort of "misunderstanding" when it comes to negotiating power. That said, I don't see why the RME would need more than the 200 mA that should always be available. Maybe it really is just the cable that's b0rked, with a break or bad solder joint somewhere. Ferrites are not a must but may indicate that the cable is of somewhat decent quality to begin with.

Top Bottom