• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to appropriately add sub to integrated amp + preamp setup?

Eruditarian

Hello All!

I recently got a setup with the SMSL VMV A2 integrated amp and KEF LS50 Metas. I have a MartinLogan Unison on the way to use as a preamp for the ARC as pure digital in-and-out to the VMV A2. I also have the KC62 sub on the way, and was having a hard time getting a good grasp on how to physically integrate the sub into the setup.

The VMV A2 has a single coax in/sub out, and the Unison has RCA L/R outputs. My questions are:
1. Does it make a difference if I use the A2 amp sub out, or the preamp RCA outputs to the sub? Would this change whether or not I use ARC? The manual for the Unison says something about using LFE if I want to use ARC, but I'm not sure if it makes a difference whether the connection is directly from the Unison or from a downstream amp.
2a. I'm not sure if I fully understand how to wire to the sub regardless :facepalm: ... if going from an Amp, is this saying I have the option of using a single Coax to RCA cable if I want to use LFE, or Coax to Y-split RCA if I don't do LFE?
2b. But, if I did the connection from the unison, it would be a Y-cable for the RCA L/R outputs to a single RCA for LFE input? o_O
1635826132776.png

Sorry if I'm overthinking this, and thank you for any guidance!

buzwork

I have my Unison optical output connected to Hegel H95 and the L/R analog outputs on the Unison connected to an SVS 3000 Micro.

I never use LFE for stereo listening.

OP
E

Eruditarian

I have my Unison optical output connected to Hegel H95 and the L/R analog outputs on the Unison connected to an SVS 3000 Micro.

I never use LFE for stereo listening.
Hey thanks for the insight @buzwork on connecting the sub directly to the Unison in your setup! Do you use ARC on the Unison?

I was thinking we were supposed to use LFE for that based on their instructions:
1635891693058.png

Top Bottom