• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to add a 12v trigger to Topping audio chain

kenshone

I have an amp with a 12v trigger, and would like to connect my system so that this amp turns on/off with my Topping DAC.

Does anyone know of a way to make this happen without being an electronics expert?

Rip City Dave

One way is to get a power strip/surge protector with a master control outlet. Get one with adjustable sensitivity.

Then, get a 12V DC adapter.

You'll need an adapter for the DC converter to a 3.5mm connector.

Plug the DAC into the master control outlet, which will turn on the other outlets on the strip when the DAC is turned on. The DC converter is plugged into one of the controlled outlets on the strip and connected to the 12V trigger input on the amp.

The products in the links are just examples and not necessarily the ones you should use. Do you research and choose the best one for your budget.

OP
K

kenshone

Thanks @Rip City Dave! Based on your recs, I went with:

- https://www.amazon.com/SAPHUE-Postive-Converter-Harmonix-Electric/dp/B08BNHGJVC/ref=sr_1_4?crid=15B5ST4HDWH7O&keywords=5.5mm+to+3.5mm&qid=1652781743&s=electronics&sprefix=5.5mm+to+3.5mm,electronics,116&sr=1-4
- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T6ZRHSW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P7K2FHK/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A33V0LA7KRMN9P&psc=1

The only component I meaningfully changed was going from a master-slave outlet setup to a remote IR outlet setup, as I have more than 1 amp, and I don't want all of the amps to activate at once. Look forward to trying this out, and hopefully not blowing up any of my amps in the process.

Last edited:

AudiOhm

What amps do you have?

Ohms

OP
K

kenshone

So I got this working, BUT I was missing a critical piece: a polarity reverser. Most 12v DC power supplies, esp. the ones that tend to be certified by scientific bodies are positive center. 12v mono adapters need a negative center DC plug, so that the tip is positive.

I could have bought a negative center power supply, but instead, I elected to buy a 5.5mm x 2.1mm polarity reverser. Now it works a treat. I can use my remote controlled outlet to toggle multiple amps through their 12v triggers from the comfort of my chair.

Last edited:

spalmgre

I'm planning to buy 2 x Topping PA3S amplifiers and the 8-channel DAC DM7 for my active 8-way speaker setup.

What happens to the PA3S when I cut and switch on the mains to the transformers?
Will the amp remember SE/BAL setting? And how about pop does the amplifier restart silently?

If somebody has the PA3S can you pull the socket and also try to what happens if you disconnect and reconnect the transformer from the amplifier?

-------------------------

I currently have Najda Preamp/DAC and two Meanwell smps + some D-amp boards that are switched on using a Swedish Nexa switch (LCMR-1000).
The switch works much like the Audiophonics Trigger (see post #8). But the Nexa switch works cordless with a radio signal 433.92MHz.

The beauty is that Nexa also has a remote control (WBT-912) that can be triggered with a relay.
So I have converted my Najda preamp to trigger a relay instead of sending a 12V signal by line.
A signal will be sent from the WBT-912 to the power amps to start up once I start my preamp.
This setup gives me the freedom to place my amplifiers wherever I want in the room as they get the switch-on signal cordless.

I could of course also start the amplifiers with a handheld remote control but I don't need that as it is logical to start the amplifiers once I start the preamp/DAC.

I assume that this same feature can be found in other producers of home automation systems.
Pictures of the Nexa product are in Swedish as I did not find English pages. Nexa is very affordable and of reliable quality.

Attachments

• Nexa.png
    Nexa.png
    392.1 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

homeduck

does someone have experience with audiophonics trigger? i am looking for a way to drive my SMSL A300 (no auto-standby mode) using 12v trigger out from a wiim pro.
I saw that product from audiophonics but no other alternative, only dyi product.
on post #2 reported something but no further comment on that. does it make sense to do this kind of job? i have limited dyi capabilities.

Top Bottom